Shane45

A NJGF Exclusive

Guys, I really like the forum here. I belong to a bunch of different forums but Im choosing here to show the first public pictures of my product. What I would like to do is have a focused cozy discussion right here. I would appreciate if this thread and my pictures dont get linked to or emailed around. I trust that those here will respect that. I have spent a GREAT deal of time and effort(and money) on this. With that being said if you have a good point, question or concern, please dont worry about telling me my baby is ugly. It has already been in front of a few High Speed low drag groupes and I have recieved very positive feedback. I damned near had to scuffle to get it back from a trainer from Blackwater :snooty: . So... here it is.

Para-mount design features

Unitized design

Cool stuff, always like to see people innovating.

One comment from a prospective AR owner - As long as I was committed to running just that particular Aimpoint optic, then yeah, I'd like it.

However, mounting that setup does inhibit the flexibility of the rail system somewhat. In order to mount another optic and keep the same capability I'd have to also mount another rear sight and break out some tools.

Dirty, give me an example. If you wanted to run a scope you would clear the deck (remove the entire mount) If you wanted to run an Acog, again , clear the deck. If you wanted to run an Eotech, well your SOL :naughty: . A Trijicon tripower fits my mount. I havent tested yet but I believe the Leupold Prismatic might, I have to measure length of exposed tube. The rails felexability would only be compromised if the mount was welded to it right? About the only thing that would be difficult is a flip magnifier. I have an entirely different approach not yet ready for discussion. The slot in the middle is for weight reduction but is also a mounting point for lights, ir des, etc etc.

Dang, I was actually going to ask what type of solution you would provide for adding a magnifier, but you answered that. I guess my other question would be how much does it weigh? The design looks absolutely bomb proof, but looks like it would be more then having a separate BUIS and optic mount. I know weight is a personal preference, but just curious.

Dirty, give me an example.

Sure. First off, again, if I was running an aimpoint (or one of the other optics that fits the mount) *solely*, then your mount design makes sense. I'm just providing a contrived example of where that mount design may not be the best option.

Let's say I often switch between an aimpoint and a scope using a quick release mount (say like this one:620191.jpg), and I want iron sights as a backup when running either optic.

If I use a Troy rear BUIS, then I can fold it under the rear of the scope when its mounted. The Troys have the lowest profile I believe and they fit under a lot of scopes (IMG_0500.jpg). If something happens with the scope and I need to go to the irons, then I manipulate two quick release levers to dump the scope and then flip up the rear sight.

When it comes time to change to the Aimpoint, I'd keep the rear BUIS on and attach the aimpoint using one of the other quick release mounts out there. I believe buis still co-witness with aimpoint QR mounts.

With that setup, when I need to switch optics then it's just 2 quick release levers and one thumb screw to switch between aimpoint and scope.

If I ran your mount then to switch from aimpoint to scope and still have the option for irons I'd have to take your mount off, mount the rear buis and then mount the scope which is an extra step.

Assuming that my two different optics both fit your mount, then I need to break out the hex key and loosen/re-tighten the 4 clamp bolts.

Again, a contrived example. I like the idea and hope you have success with it.

Dirty, I see where you are going. Im going to point out a few things that may seem odd at first but represent the newest thoughts on the topic. Basically some of the problem with what you describe is the role that the tool plays. So looking at your rig, Im guessing 10X SS scope? Free float rail system, Bipod? This is not a CQB rifle, its a designated marksman rifle. In the role of a DMR irons are the standard backup BUT are really a sub par solution. You are in a role to provide precision aimed fire. Now I know a few boys that can hit with irons out far enough to make some folks with scopes blush! But what they cant do is easily ID the target. So in brief to not get too side tracked, the idea is to not have backup Irons at all for a DMR rifle. The idea is to have a backup Acog. Your optic fails, pull it off, snap on an Acog in a QD mount and get back in the game.

Now I understand that what is important in the Mil/LE world may not completely translate to us in the civy world so lets look at your scenario for a second because if your like me, your trying to pay the bills and be a bit conservative and press what you have into more roles than 1. Your in the field. You want to ditch the aimpoint/irons and go to your scope. Why put irons back on under the scope? If your using your scope, your in a DMR or longer range engagement. If you have the time to pop off the scope, you likely have enough time to throw the mount back on. If I had my mount with RDS in my pack and my scope dies, I would pull it off and get the aimpoint on there. The market may prove to demand a QD solution for my mount but in your case you already have the wrench in hand to geth them rings (Badgers?) off anyway ;) Just an observation you might want to swap your rings around. The serial # should always face foward. You dont want the bolts hanging out over the ejection port.

(edit) Looking at your pic your question isnt thouroughly clear because your running an Arms38S-EX rail with integrated BUIS so you wouldnt have to mount up a BUIS seperate anyway. Your scope rings and BUIS are all on the arms mount so when you put it back, its all back. (end edit)

Another solution altogether to your scenario, again bypasses irons altogether, its a Micro/Fastfire/Dr.Optic mounted at 45 degrees off the rail. Optic fails or you have a bad breath distance suprise, role the rifle counter clockwise and pick up the RDS and engage.

I do not have BUIS on my DMR rifle. I have a TA33H-G as backup. (Although that resides on my Robarm XCR at the moment :) )

I hope this answers your questions.

Shane

... So looking at your rig, Im guessing 10X SS scope? Free float rail system, Bipod? This is not a CQB rifle, its a designated marksman rifle. ...

Not my rig, I'm still building my first AR. That's just an image I pulled off the web to illustrate a Troy buis sitting under a scope.

...You want to ditch the aimpoint/irons and go to your scope. Why put irons back on under the scope? ...

Doesn't make sense agreed, but I was putting forward the alternate scenario - needing to ditch the scope and fall back on irons.

... in your case you already have the wrench in hand to geth them rings (Badgers?) off anyway ...

Nah, wrench wouldn't be in hand, because I'd be pulling the scope off using the QR levers.

Another solution altogether to your scenario, again bypasses irons altogether, its a Micro/Fastfire/Dr.Optic mounted at 45 degrees off the rail. Optic fails or you have a bad breath distance suprise, role the rifle counter clockwise and pick up the RDS and engage.

Yup, that's another way to do it. Some even mount a carry handle at 90 deg. on a rail as a backup:

(Look at bottom center of the image)

610xe3.jpg

I hope this answers your questions.

Uhh, there weren't any question marks in my prior post, but enjoying the conversation nonetheless.

Again, keep us posted, I may end up being a customer!

I think it is a fargin great idea. Big question would be cost to many a buyer. It has to be cheaper or = for same chore.

I like it though... keep going, sell a few prototypes here and let the word spread. Then some words of wisdom, take this entity seriously or do not undetake it at all. How many other people have we seen (holsters, slings, mags) start a cottage industry, sell 30 units then just loose interest, even with standing orders. I know life is complicated, but do yourself a favor and dont do it unless you really mean to dedicate yourself to it.

I really like it though.

That was my .02c....

Stay tuned guys. I have a lot coming up. I dont want to say to much yet but my products and those of another manufacturer previously only available to Mil and OEM will be available for civy sales soon. I will be representing the civilian market while the other side of the house continues to do Mil/OEM.