zeenon

Taking a 12yr old to the range

So I'm thinking of taking my 12 yr old son to the range and teaching him how to safely operate a firearm and shoot. My current line up is a S&W 686+, Glock 23 (w/ a 9mm and .22 conversion kit), a Remington 28" Shotgun and a S&W MP15 (w/ a .22 conversion kit). While the AR-15 with the .22 conversion might be a good second trip to the range choice, I think it's better to teach him the basics first. I'll be in the bay 100% of the time, but I was thinking of starting him off with this:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0039861228163a.shtml :doh:

Yes yes, laugh it up, I bought this thing like 2-3 years ago, but I think it would be perfect to train on. My only concern....Is it allowed at the range (BH)?

Z

Picture069.jpg

better off with a air rifle or a .22 - make sure that it fits his stature - too big or

too loud will not be a pleasant experiance for him - started my grandson at 8 years old -

I took a totally different approach. After my daughter at 8yo shot the target BB gun for a while. At 10yo I cut down the stock on a 10/22 and installed an extended mag release. CLOSE supervision and a loaded 10 rd mag. She was able to load the rifle, fire the 10 rds and clear the rifle. This way I felt that we had a complete lesson/exersize for real life.

You have to make sure as others have said that the weapon is ergonomically correct. Not only the stock but the operating controls too.

I have a passion for kids and firearms, as firearms edcation is what propagates firearms safey. I'm now into the next generation, my grandson.

These kids are our future Americans.

just remember a 10 yr old can hunt in nj must be with an adult so 12 should be fine you just have to judge his ability.my kids all started with an air rifle dont use a bb gun ,bbs go down range ricchette come back almost ad fast glasses or not it hurts like hell

My brother in law and I bring my little nephew shooting quite frequently. He is only 9, but with a little cricket .22 he is highly impressive. We started teaching him just to get him familiar how to handle firearms safely. For those of you that have gone shooting with me know that safety is my highest priority. Now he loves when "uncle eric" comes by to go shooting. But at the rate he is going, I fear that in a couple of years when he graduates to the bigger stuff he may actually start outshooting me!

I started shooting at 6....a 22, a Marlin i think. Was a dead on gun. See we had these old locust trees and the starlings would over run it....pop a few starlings...the songbirds would come.

Each year I must have shot 200 of the damn things. Yes, in NJ, this is an issue...my home in Ohio was 1/4 mile away from the nearest neighbor. My dad passed in 05 and I still can't call his wife to get his Garand...sigh. She HATED me.....I was getting great grades in college and her boys, my brothers, got .07. lol.

Like others have said, I would start the kid with a .22. Every time I see a kid shooting I think of Chris Bizilj:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2009/11/christopher-bizilj-uzi-death-triggers-wrongful-death-suit.html

Not to get off track but where were the parents?

Like others have said, I would start the kid with a .22. Every time I see a kid shooting I think of Chris Bizilj:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2009/11/christopher-bizilj-uzi-death-triggers-wrongful-death-suit.html

Not to get off track but where were the parents?

Read the story? Very sad....the gun just was full auto and with the recoil...well...right in the head.

really sad.

Yes, it's very bad to start kids too young...not!

(He actually vastly prefers my array of 10/22 rifles, scoped and irons sights....)

This warms my heart!

And look at the smile :mrgreen: Thats how I felt the first time I shot...The Kid Is Hooked!!