Chad

Conversation with an ANTI!

So today I'm speaking with a customer for about an hour about kids, the economy, etc etc etc. During the kids conversation she said she doesn't allow her kids to sleep over their friends houses because she never knows who has a gun in the house. :shock:

I was pissed. I tried explaining that any responsible gun owner will not have firearms within reach of any children, locked up in a safe, etc. She said gun owners are not responsible enough to keep them locked up. . . . I felt my face turning red with anger, I had to change the topic before I exploded. What a fool!

Would you let you kids sleep over someone's house if you didn't know whether or not they keep guns in the house?

I don't have kids, so my perspective might be more idealistic (my apologies now if it is). But I'm really hoping that I know the parent(s) of who's house my children would be staying at regardless. But like Wolfy said, even then you couldn't be too sure.

She could have said..."I dont let my kids sleep over because I dont know if they are black, or gay, or Jewish, or spanish, or aliens...WTF?

Just another form of racisim disguised as 'concern' for her kid.

But kids do need to be taught not to touch guns, and to fear them and respect them.

I have taught all of my little nephews how to handle and respect guns, and you know what? They are all young adults now, who are responsible people.

Would you let you kids sleep over someone's house if you didn't know whether or not they keep guns in the house?

Yes, and a good counter is to ask her if the prescription meds, the liquor and the household cleaning supplies are all under lock & key in her house as well? A question like this generally helps the antis to put their kids' risk in perspective.

--Daniel

I don't worry about gun owners. Having a preteen daughter, I worry about Every little Priaptic teenager in existance.

Fixed that for you there.

I don't worry about gun owners. Having a preteen daughter, I worry about Every little Priaptic teenager in existance.

Fixed that for you there.

I WILL become the father cleaning (all of) his guns at the dining room table when teenagers come to call.

I taught my son to always respect the guns we own, and we have them locked up at all times. If he was sleeping over somewhere and a gun was out with out an adult or even with an adult, he would state the safety rules. If there was any indescretions going on he would call me to pick him up. Then I would confront the gun owner.

Teach the kids early to be safe.

Yes, and a good counter is to ask her if the prescription meds, the liquor and the household cleaning supplies are all under lock & key in her house as well? A question like this generally helps the antis to put their kids' risk in perspective.

--Daniel

Good point, kitchen knives should be on that list as well. After all, they kill more people per year than guns.

The pussification of society is almost complete. How did any of us survive the tender early years of growing up without our parents being totally packed up our a**es? I agree we have to be cautious with our children, but come on, not let you child go somewhere because there is the potential that there might be a firearm in the building, I'm speechless :evil: . How did things get to this point? I don't know, I worry about this new generation, they can't think for themselves, have no common sense because their parents coddle them so much, and are totally out of touch with reality. No disrespect to all the parents out there, everyone raises their children differently, but working in a school I see the way the kids are now, and it is kind of scary. Kids can't sell fundraiser stuff door to door because of the fear of perverts, monsters, ect. How many of the people in your neighborhood are evil? Do you think your child will really be abducted selling girl scout cookies, or magazine subscriptions? NOOO, you bring the paperwork to your job and sell the stuff for them to keep them safe. What is that teaching your kids, that mommy and daddy will always do the leg work for you. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking into this to much, and I've been on my soapbox too long. I just think it's time to stop sheltering our kids so much. End the pussification :romance-caress: :puke-front: Let our kids make their mistakes and learn from them

And kids now are sooooo effing over-sensitive its absolutely sickening.

If I screwed up in school my parents would whoop my azz, NEVER question the teachers word on what happened. Now, if kids screw up in school parents are down at the principals office yelling at the teachers, defending their kids and saying the teacher must be mistaken, my child wouldn't do that. You must be picking on my child. Give me a break. Same with the police, if someone's kid gets in trouble with the police, the parents are right away defending the kids....the cops are just making this up, right? Your son or daughter never would do such a thing. :roll:

I agree, total pussification. Its a real shame...this country has gone incredibly soft. Really makes me want to puke.

My son is q little young for sleep overs. When that time comes there are some critera that must be met before he can sleep over. 1 I have to meet the parents. 2 I have to see the inside of the house. 3 I have to believe the parents to be responsible human beings. Pro gun or anti fun doesn't matter as long as they are responsible people. The gun conversation will come up but more out of my own curoisity not as critera for a sleep over.

So today I'm speaking with a customer for about an hour about kids, the economy, etc etc etc. During the kids conversation she said she doesn't allow her kids to sleep over their friends houses because she never knows who has a gun in the house. :shock:

I was pissed. I tried explaining that any responsible gun owner will not have firearms within reach of any children, locked up in a safe, etc. She said gun owners are not responsible enough to keep them locked up. . . .

I can understand the concern, but concern would mean you should ask. People that have no experience with firearms have conceptions that should be addressed. I think keeping a cool head and saying "I lock my guns up in a safe so they won't be lost in a burglary. Is your son/daughter a safecracker?" is a good way to start a conversation.

I WILL become the father cleaning (all of) his guns at the dining room table when teenagers come to call.

A shop supervisor I had a few years back had a teenage daughter that was starting to date more. well some teen guy showed up at the shop one day to ask him if he could take her to the prom . my supers reply was " sure it is fine with me but you are not to lay a finger on her.I dust for prints and have firearms" I never seen someone get so pale so quick :lol:

People are nuts, if she won't let her kid out because the home 'might have' a gun, it's really the kid who loses out on any social interaction. I must say I've learned to not even mention that I own firearms, unless its to someone I have a good idea also owns firearms or at least has an open mind. I've had colleagues I've known for years take a step back from me when they learn that I own firearms as if I'm going to start shooting at any moment. :roll:

The pussification of society is almost complete. How did any of us survive the tender early years of growing up without our parents being totally packed up our a**es? I agree we have to be cautious with our children, but come on, not let you child go somewhere because there is the potential that there might be a firearm in the building, I'm speechless :evil: . How did things get to this point? I don't know, I worry about this new generation, they can't think for themselves, have no common sense because their parents coddle them so much, and are totally out of touch with reality. No disrespect to all the parents out there, everyone raises their children differently, but working in a school I see the way the kids are now, and it is kind of scary. Kids can't sell fundraiser stuff door to door because of the fear of perverts, monsters, ect. How many of the people in your neighborhood are evil? Do you think your child will really be abducted selling girl scout cookies, or magazine subscriptions? NOOO, you bring the paperwork to your job and sell the stuff for them to keep them safe. What is that teaching your kids, that mommy and daddy will always do the leg work for you. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking into this to much, and I've been on my soapbox too long. I just think it's time to stop sheltering our kids so much. End the pussification :romance-caress: :puke-front: Let our kids make their mistakes and learn from them

+1 , im not the only one seeing this happen, nice to know.

People are nuts, if she won't let her kid out because the home 'might have' a gun, it's really the kid who loses out on any social interaction. I must say I've learned to not even mention that I own firearms, unless its to someone I have a good idea also owns firearms or at least has an open mind. I've had colleagues I've known for years take a step back from me when they learn that I own firearms as if I'm going to start shooting at any moment. :roll:

Standing in the Local Convenience store one night looking at the magazine rack, i has dome whiny Liberal start spouting off about how they shouldnt have Gun magazines out in the open. I guess he assumed that i would agree since I was in uniform. he was neither expecting, nor pleased with my reply. It was WELL worth the Demeanor complaint. :twisted:

Lol, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing my boss comes in and says "How many guns do you have now?" and I have to count them up in my head. and when he asks if I got anything new and i show him a picture he will say something like "Wow.. that looks like it could rip open some flesh"

Got into it with my pops briefly yesterday.

Said he was stopping at Dick's for something.

Said I was there this am. He asked for what.

Told him case for one of my guns.

Then he asked how many I had.

Then he asked what for.

Then he told me how he doesn't like them. Asked me if I have locks for them etc.

Wondering if I can ever get him to the range with me,lol.

Then he asked how many I had.

Then he asked what for.

My dad's kind of the same way. He doesn't think it's a bad idea to have one or two (just in case), but then I showed him one of the ARs and he didn't quite get it :) I can't wait to show him the gun safe and all the goodies I've added to it since the last time he visited :lol:

Same thing with my dad. He was always a no guns in the house type of person. Finally he went shooting a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Since then i've been trying to talk him into at least a 12 ga for protection at home. Then out of the blue he calls me two days ago and starts asking about buying a shotgun and what to look for. I am so proud of him. Baby steps.

I usually bring my gun magazines to work and i always get that "what do you need that for?" or "are you gonna go postal at this school?" or my favorite, "you have guns in the house with the baby!"

I usually bring my gun magazines to work and i always get that "what do you need that for?" or "are you gonna go postal at this school?" or my favorite, "you have guns in the house with the baby!"

Working for a school district, I was "politely" told not to bring my gun magazines, they even had pictures of no gun in the hallways.Image