Matt

How to transport firearms AND ammo?

What is the consensus regarding transporting to the range if you are bringing your own ammo? Do you have to have the gun and ammo in separate locked containers both locked in the trunk? gun in the trunk and ammo in the back seat? both in the trunk but not locked in separate containers? Thanks -

Hello

I bought a midway small range bag. The bag has many compartments each with zippers. The gun is placed in a sleeve then in one of the zippered compartments. My muffs glasses target and other items go in the center. Ammo and magazines go together in the compartment with the magazine sleeves. This is legal. However the magazines must stay with the ammo if loaded. I have verified this with several sources mags and ammo can go together separate from other items. To be super safe you can transport mags in a separate section. This is all in the same range bag.

:mrgreen:

Sorry to bring this up from the dead but...

I drive a corvette... my corvette has no trunk and basically nowhere that is "inaccessiable" from someone in a driving position.

At this time when i use my corvette for range trips i usually put the guns (all in their own cases..mostly soft bags) In the compartment under the hatch directly behind the seats at about shoulder level.

I place my ammo and unloaded magazines in a standard .30 or .50 milsurp ammo box down as far as i can get it in the passanger footwell.

you thoughts?

I'd put the ammo in the back as well... Got any locks for the cases? Just to CYA.

Well my thoughts on it were that the back is actually much easier to get to then the passenger foot well thats why i put the ammo up there.

I actually never looked to see if there was a way to lock the ammo boxes but i doubt there is. I really like using them

Well my thoughts on it were that the back is actually much easier to get to then the passenger foot well thats why i put the ammo up there.

I actually never looked to see if there was a way to lock the ammo boxes but i doubt there is. I really like using them

There are ways to lock the ammo boxes. They even sell kits that will allow it. I used an eyebolt for my .30 call boxes. like this: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/guns/ammocan1.jpg

I'd be more concerned with a lock for the guns. Legally the statutes don't mention locks but a cop on the side of the road has a lot of latitude and a locked gun case will probably allow you to be sent on your way.

Sometimes (usually actually) I carry 5 or more long guns with me. To lock them all would be a very big hassle but I could start locking the ammo box. just to say i did it.

Again, the statutes are pretty specific and don't mention locks. HOWEVER, the NJ state police has an informal guideline that they follow. You can read it on their website: http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_trans.html Their statements do not have the force of law, as the locks are not mentioned in the statutes on travel. They do have the force of making your life a living hell. If you think it's a hassle to lock up 5 guns, can you imagine the hassle of defending yourself against a weapons charge? Not to mention the arrest, the seizure of your firearms, the expense, the time sitting in a cell waiting to see the judge.

If there is no hollow point ammo, locking it up is meaningless. The guns are required to be unloaded, but there is no law against having round nose ammo in the passenger compartment. Locking it up is all well and good, but a cop is going to laser beam on the firearms.

How To Transport

Unloaded: The firearm must be unloaded, as in there must be no ammunition in the gun. NJ defines the word firearm meaning the actual gun, therefore under current law transportation of a loaded magazine would not be considered a loaded gun

Cased/Wrapped: If the vehicle has a trunk, it is best to put the firearm in the trunk. If no trunk is present (as in a SUV) the firearm must be in a fastened case/wrapped/etc.

Destination: It is important to recognize that NJ dictates that your course of travel while transporting firearms should be as direct as is reasonably possible.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary/