Matt

Looking to get a .22lr pistol for cheap plinking...

the .45 is getting really expensive really fast. Anyway I know everyone says to go with a ruger but im a sucker for the tacticool stuff and am looking at the sig misquito... is that a mistake? should I just suck it up and go with the ruger? other options?

If you can get past the pain of breaking down the Mark III's the hunter edition is a gorgeous gun. Fluted barrel, rosewood grips, Hi-Viz Front Sight with all the green and red pins, and there is even a talo edition in 5.5 very nice. Can't go wrong with the buckmarks. Or if you don't want to waste on a permit specially with the 1 gun a month what about a conversion kit?

I like the looks of the Sig Mosquito...I have heard mixed reviews about the reliability. But I think ammo plays a big part, just like in any .22lr auto loader.

If tacticool is what you are looking for I would say the sig.

PS...you will thank yourself for getting a .22lr you can shoot 500 rounds for the price of 50 .45s and your hand wont hurt.

When I bought my Ruger I was seriously considering the mosquito. From what I read and what I was told at various shops and from shooters, the gun is very, very picky on the ammo it will eat. I was concerned because I didn't want a gun that would cause a party foul on my fun at the range. I chose the Ruger based on the fact that it will eat anything that you feed it, it's reliable (there have been times that i haven't cleaned it between range sessions), it has a good balance and feels good in your hand. This gun is unbelievable. It shoots like it is an extension of your hand, and gives you marked confidence in your shooting ability that trickles into your other gun/caliber shooting. Do not stray from this gun because of reviews that say it is hard to take apart or put back together. It is so easy once you figure out how to do it. The Ruger Mark III Hunter 6 7/8 fluted barrel is an absolute joy to shoot. Put it on your short list :D .

Do not stray from this gun because of reviews that say it is hard to take apart or put back together. It is so easy once you figure out how to do it.

There are even a ton of youtube videos that break these guys down step by step showing you exactly what to look for. I always recommend taking advantage of technology in helping you to understand your firearms better. These guns are great!

Mosquitos are DEFINANTLY ammo sensitive.

Other great plinkers but pricey Beretta Target 87 and Smith & Wesson Model 41. These guns shoot like dreams. If you have a couple extra bucks these will definantly not disappoint. Although in firearms of that caliber you would also wants to use a high grade type of ammo. Check those 2 out up to par with the high end HIGH STANDARDS that are no longer in business.

+3 for the Browning Buckmark. It's not picky about ammo; mine loves the inexpensive Federal bulk stuff, Champion and Automatch. It's fun to shoot and not difficult to clean.

I've also owned a Ruger. That too is a fine gun. You really can't go wrong with either.

just to reiterate the buckmark...

for a very short time I had the buckmark target urx model and it was the most accurate of all the 22's i have shot, and had a very nice trigger.

I did sell it for a very good price, but otherwise, miss it. lol.

+1 to browning buckmark.

I love the smith wesson 22a for its value, good quality at a very reasonable price.

It is pretty accutate too. My icon is from the 22A(6 7/8" barrel) at about 10-12 yards. My buddy has a Sig mosquito and I believe he said the owner's manual says to use CCI minimags. They're about 8 bucks for a box of 100. My 22A is still a bit picky on the ammo.

Purchased a SIG Mosquito over a year ago, was told that it was ammo sensitive and it is, CCI Mini Mag is the only ammo I have found that runs through well, others have caused many ftf. Overall I am satisfied with this handgun, allows for inexpensive range time versus shooting my 92FS.

I really like the beretta NEOS.

Yeah me to for under $300.00 you cannot go wrong.

I have been reading reviews for the last 2 day's get's high marks in everything.

The only down side is the trigger can be a bit ruff at 1st and 2nd they have a different grip

angle then most pistols which did not both most people in the reviews I read. I have to pick

a rifle up from Shore Shot on Friday, if they are not to busy I will also check these out.

For the money, the Neos is my pick. The trigger gets better each time I shoot it and is surely more accurate than I am. The full optics rail on top is a plus too for adding a red dot. It is super simple to clean also. I had the Neos, a Buckmark, a S&W 22a and a Ruger all on the counter at Butch's in Vineland and really took my time with overall feel, trigger, disassembly, sights, you name it and the Neos won out. Price wasn't an issue as I was let loose with "the card"! I had three permits to burn, what a day! I ended up with a Neos, a Taurus Judge, and a XD40 Tactical.

When I bought my Ruger I was seriously considering the mosquito. From what I read and what I was told at various shops and from shooters, the gun is very, very picky on the ammo it will eat. I was concerned because I didn't want a gun that would cause a party foul on my fun at the range. I chose the Ruger based on the fact that it will eat anything that you feed it, it's reliable (there have been times that i haven't cleaned it between range sessions), it has a good balance and feels good in your hand. This gun is unbelievable. It shoots like it is an extension of your hand, and gives you marked confidence in your shooting ability that trickles into your other gun/caliber shooting. Do not stray from this gun because of reviews that say it is hard to take apart or put back together. It is so easy once you figure out how to do it. The Ruger Mark III Hunter 6 7/8 fluted barrel is an absolute joy to shoot. Put it on your short list :D .

My first handgun purchase in NJ was a used Mark III Hunter. What did I do when I got it home? I took the whole thing apart, and I mean I had the hammer and safety out for inspection and cleaning. I downloaded a schematic and put it back together. It isn't that hard.

I am just glad that I hadn't read how hard it was before I started or I never would have tried that.

and I agree with everything that was said about the feel and look. Kind of a Luger meets Flash Gordon with some magic balance stuff mixed in. Even my wife thinks its pretty. It's practically a work of art.

It's practically a work of art.

I can't argue with that. Back in the 80's when I was first interested in guns, it was the first gun I wanted but never got, definitely because of looks. I scratched that itch last June with a mid 80's Mark II in stainless.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ght=review

The biggest disagreement I have is the disassembly rating. I feel the Buckmark is the most difficult to take apart. It is not designed to be disassembled as a screw holds the barrel to the frame and loctite has to be used to hold the screw tightly in place. Additionally, more than a few people have stripped the screw.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268716&highlight=review

The biggest disagreement I have is the disassembly rating. I feel the Buckmark is the most difficult to take apart. It is not designed to be disassembled as a screw holds the barrel to the frame and loctite has to be used to hold the screw tightly in place. Additionally, more than a few people have stripped the screw.

The buckmark most difficult? HAH. try the ruger. But yes, the process you described is correct.

Hence why I like the 22a. it is a breeze to clean.

the mosquito is an awesome choice

there was a run a few years back that had problems. the later models have been fine. You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk II or III. They can drive you to rip out your hair when trying to disassemble them and reassemble them but with practice it gets easier.

The S&W 22A is not made in their Springfield facility but the Maine facility used for their PPK/S production. some have had problems. Our club just ordered four along with a few MkIII's but they haven't arrived so I can't say good or bad about them.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268716&highlight=review

The buckmark most difficult? HAH. try the ruger. But yes, the process you described is correct.

I have a Ruger Mark II Slabside. The factory instructions are useless but there are good instructions on line. Once you have proper instructions, the Ruger is easy to dis- and re-assemble. I don't understand why it's such a big deal other than the bad factory instructions. However, everything I have heard is that you are right about the 22a. I might have to get one now. :o

I have a Ruger Mark II Slabside. The factory instructions are useless but there are good instructions on line. Once you have proper instructions, the Ruger is easy to dis- and re-assemble. I don't understand why it's such a big deal other than the bad factory instructions.

Ditto.

Also, I understand the Colt Woodsman (targetsman etc in that series) are even more difficult to reassemble than the Ruger.

It's a breeze to breakdown. I hate cleaning it. I go through a lot of toothpicks and Q-Tips getting the gunk out. If you know of a video for proper cleaning of the 22A I'd appreciate it. I try to get out all the crud by the firing pin by using toothpicks. I never know if I'm supposed to scrub down the components in the frame. I can't tell if it has long term grease on the internals or of that's built up gunk.