aggopian

Flares and Smoke

Are white star flares and M18 smoke grenades legal to own in NJ? I have the opportunity to acquire some but don't want to run afoul of the law.

Any hep would be great.

yes they are. One Caution with the Smokes though, they WILL set anything flammable around them on fire, they burn pretty hot.

WOW so much for an easy answer. I've seen these for sale on gunbroker so I didn't think the question of legality would spark so much controversy. I guess I will have to wait till I get a more definitive answer before I get them. Don't want to attract the men in lettered jersey's.

WOW so much for an easy answer. I've seen these for sale on gunbroker so I didn't think the question of legality would spark so much controversy. I guess I will have to wait till I get a more definitive answer before I get them. Don't want to attract the men in lettered jersey's.

Im sorry that "Yes" isnt clear enough for you. they are SIGNALLING DEVICES. you can walk into any Boaters world and buy 26MM and 12 Ga Flares and clusters, as well as Rocket Parachute Flares, and Smoke Signal Devices without any control at all. you can Purchase 37MM Flares and Smoke online without any problems. One Cution though, 37MM Less Lethal ammunition (Gas, OC,Projectile) is considered to be a "Destructive Device" under federal law if it is possessed along with a 37mm Signalling device, which ALSO becomes a DD instantly once anything other than a Signalling round is possessed. Flares, and Smoke are Good to go.

This thread is old but hopefully someone will chime in.

Let's say someone has dozen live M18 and AN M8 smoke grenades in NJ...are they legal? can they be set off legally? can you transport them (legally) or are they considered "fireworks" under NJ law?

Let's say someone has dozen live M18 and AN M8 smoke grenades in NJ...are they legal? can they be set off legally? can you transport them (legally) or are they considered "fireworks" under NJ law?

Remember, flare guns are emergency signaling devices. Emergency services will likely respond, and if there is no emergency, you will be subject to (and deserve) all sorts legal repercussions.

Now let this thread go back to the grave.

Remember, flare guns are emergency signaling devices. Emergency services will likely respond, and if there is no emergency, you will be subject to (and deserve) all sorts legal repercussions.

Right, but are pull pin Military smoke grenades seen as emergency signaling devices by the State? if so having one in a car or boat in an emergency kit would be legal.

I managed to shoot off 26.5mm surplus rounds legally about 3-4 years ago. I called the nearest USCG station and told them were I was and that I was going to test several rounds maybe I got lucky I don't know but SAR was never dispatched since they knew this was going to take place.

They were parachute illumination rounds and blue/orange smoke rounds.