rauchman

FN SLP

Greetings,

I'd like to add a shotgun to my inventory. I'm not that knowledgable on shotty's but do know that I want a semi-auto vs. pump. I saw the FN SLP a couple of weeks ago at the Bullet Hole and ...... it calls me. It says, Ken, buy me, you know you'll not regret it. I don't normally get all jazzed about shotty's but this one does it for me.

So........

Does anyone have one and can they share theire experiences?

Does anyone know if it can swap out different barrels?

I'm hoping this will double for HD and skeet/trap.

I was looking at the FNs about a year ago. This is what I did and is in no means an attempt to bash your selection. Just tossing out some unwanted brain fodder.

FN SLPs are very nice and very pricey. I looked one over for a long time and decided to buy a Mossberg 930 instead. A few reasons... a) it was cheaper by half. b) It was a very robust design, not that the FN is not, but I truly appreciated the Mossbergs simplicity. c) Acccessories and parts are easier to find and much cheaper. d) barrel swaps was easier and the barrels were a third the price, even if you could find an FN barrel. e) I like the top tang safety... visible and I am a lefty.

I am a huge FN fan... own a FNPUSG45, and earlier FN models...Auto5 and such.

Look at the Mossberg 930 SP Field / Security Combo (#85325) and add a Choate Mag Extension ($45) for all under $500. Those SLPS are running about $900 - 1K currently.

My .02.... I apologize in advance.

NJChiroDoc, right Church, wrong pew. Remington 700 is a rifle not a shotgun. Remington makes the 870 and 1100 shotguns. (Semi and Auto). They make the 700 series rifles. FN makes the SPR/PBR rifles and makes the SLP shotguns. In shotguns... get what you like, both are quality. In the rifle between the two I would choose the FN SPR hands down!

Shane

There was a guy running an SLP at a shotgun class I took last year. We shot around 400 rounds for the class (mixed bird, buck, slug) and I don't remember him having a single issue. I've been looking to find a used one cheap ever since then, but haven't had any luck.

Axeman: didn't you sell a 930 on here a while ago? 930 seems like a good one as well, and I also prefer the tang safety.

I did sell the 930 SPX and got the Field / Security combo. The SPX I had had the raised site base and elevated front sight. I could not get a good cheek weld on the stock. I loved the shotgun though, so I sold that one and bought the simpler model, with a bead sight. I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards with a slug and bead sight, so why do I want some tactical sight base on a shotgun. The other thing is as I get older, mag cap does not seem to be a concern of mine, so 4+1 in the standard cap 930 works ok for me, right now.

Plus I got another clay gun out of it.

I have a question about the 930 SPX.

Is it legal to buy/own in NJ due to the 7 shot tube.

Yes, IF the mag extension is shortened and the standard non-pistol grip stock is used.