mikeyboyeee

Sighting in a red dot relfex

So I received my sight mark and mounted it on my 15-22 last night and round around my condo with it ;)

1st experience with one and seems very cool, even with the poor vision in my right eye.

I will be at BA on Tuesday and could use some help sighting it in.

Is a bore laser a must? At what range should that be sighted in? 25 yards, 50, 100?

Hoping one of you coming down can help me out with it. maybe the little laser I have on my MOssy 500 too (which is part of a light combo) but would be nice to have it dialed in.

I would recommend dialing it in for 100, but if its a plinker or fun-gun for you, 25/50 should be fine. As for a bore sight, it never hurts! It definitely saves some rounds, but since you're only shooting .22's, shouldn't be too much of a pain in the wallet to just dial it in on paper (as you would anyway even if you used a bore sight first).

Have fun with it man, I might have to check it out one of the times I'm at the BA meet ups.

If your 15-22 works like a centerfire AR, just pull the rear pin and tip it. Pull the bolt assembly out so you can look down the bore. Put a target up as far from you as you can get in your house (down a hallway, across the basement - you get the picture). Prop the gun up and look through the barrel. Center the bullseye of the target in the barrel (POI) and then look at your red dot to see where it is printing (POA). Adjust the red dot until both views are the same. That will put you on the paper until you can get to the range. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sight it in for 50 yards. A 22 drops a whole lot at 100 yards. My rifle is dead on at 50 yards and I have to aim probably 5 inches high to get back to zero at 100. Sighted in at 25 or 50, the difference between the two is probably an inch or so, much easier to deal with.

I agree with Mark. I have my Spike Tactical ST-22 sighted in for 25 yards at the moment because I get to shoot indoors more than out. You won't go wrong at 50 either. I would sight it for 50yards if you do a lot of outdoors shooting.

I will be at BA next week, and I have a laser boresighter in 223. I know that it wouldn't fully chamber on your gun (or my ST-22 for that matter) because of the difference in case size, but you could pull out the BCG and put the boresight into the bore partways. It would give you a pretty good indication of where you should be sighting to. After that, you can just use BA's shooting bag front rest and finish sighting by hand.

If your 15-22 works like a centerfire AR, just pull the rear pin and tip it. Pull the bolt assembly out so you can look down the bore. Put a target up as far from you as you can get in your house (down a hallway, across the basement - you get the picture). Prop the gun up and look through the barrel. Center the bullseye of the target in the barrel (POI) and then look at your red dot to see where it is printing (POA). Adjust the red dot until both views are the same. That will put you on the paper until you can get to the range. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

awesome advice.. that would definitely have saved me some time..

That's the idea. I have also used a laser pointer down the barrel. The confines of the barrel are so tight that it'll be, more or less, concentric with the bore - if you get out of line the laser pointer dot will disappear (hitting the side of the interior of the barrel). Again, see where the LP dot is and compare it to the red dot of the sight. Adjust sight until they coincide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob