Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJM981

beretta 92FS

Dropping off my permit applications Monday for some new pistols. I'm pretty sure I want a 92FS, but I can't find any info on the difference between one made in the US and one made in Italy. Are there any differences between the 2?

speaking of beretta has anyone seen the 90-TWO? seems like an updated, barely different but slightly prettier, design than the regular 92 but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Can anyone enlighten me?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/082442816760.html 90-TWO

ber_23511.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/082442815503.html 92FS

ber_25121.jpg

speaking of beretta has anyone seen the 90-TWO? seems like an updated, barely different but slightly prettier, design than the regular 92 but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Can anyone enlighten me?

The 90-two (an awful name if I've ever heard one, and confusing to boot), is an upgraded 92fs/m9. It can hold 17 rounds as opposed to 15 (though that won't help you here), it has an accessory rail (like the m9a1), and the grip is somewhat narrower for those that find the 92 to be too large. Downside, in my opinion at least, is that it's a polymer frame; I prefer the steel and the 92 is only 1oz heavier. Oh, it also come in 9mm and .40s&w, whereas the 92fs is 9mm only.

I believe the Baretta 96 is like the 92 but chambered in .40S&W.

I LOVE my 92fs and the only thing I wish it had was a stainless finish.

ANd they do make 17 round mags for the 92.

They make (or made) then in a lot of different finishes. Check out the photos on the beretta forum (www.berettaforum.net) They are in nickel and stainless.

Dropping off my permit applications Monday for some new pistols. I'm pretty sure I want a 92FS, but I can't find any info on the difference between one made in the US and one made in Italy. Are there any differences between the 2?

No difference, it's been a number of years since the 92 was produced in Italy, production was moved here to satisfy one component of the original military contract.

The 90-two (an awful name if I've ever heard one, and confusing to boot), is an upgraded 92fs/m9. It can hold 17 rounds as opposed to 15 (though that won't help you here), it has an accessory rail (like the m9a1), and the grip is somewhat narrower for those that find the 92 to be too large. Downside, in my opinion at least, is that it's a polymer frame; I prefer the steel and the 92 is only 1oz heavier. Oh, it also come in 9mm and .40s&w, whereas the 92fs is 9mm only.

Actually the "dash" is a bit more than that. It has a dovetailed front sight, allowing sights to be changed either for height or composition. More importantly on he upper end it can be armorer converted from FS (slide mounted de-cocking,safety) to G (Slide mounted, spring loaded de-cocker) to DAO. Standard 92/96 FS guns can't be changed, you buy and FS or G that's what you stay with. As for lower, it's alloy, just like the original 92. The grip frame, however, is more of a stud that allows snap on grip modules so the user can readily change the size, and texture of the grip. The 90-two is a pretty slick piece, definitely the pick of the litter in Beretta's right now, imho.

I believe the Baretta 96 is like the 92 but chambered in .40S&W.

I LOVE my 92fs and the only thing I wish it had was a stainless finish.

ANd they do make 17 round mags for the 92.

Correct, the numbered part of the designation denotes caliber, 92=9mm, 96=.40, 98=9x21(Europe only, although a few made it here.)

The letters indicate function, FS=Slide mounted safety de-cocker, G=SLide mounted, spring loaded, de-cocking lever, D=Double action only, DS=Double action only with slide mounted safety (pretty rare)

Stainless 92/96's are cataloged as "Inox" guns and are stainless steel uppers only. The loeers are the same alloy, just hard chromed.

I bought a 90-two and am relatively pleased with it. I had the trigger done to smooth out the first stage and it shoots a little smoother. There is a noticeable kick with the 40 vs. the 9mm and the polymer frame. More felt recoil than a Sig or even a glock which weigh less. Overall I am satisfied but I can't hit the target as well with it as the Sig or Glock. Incidentally, I purchased it primarily for the external hammer and de-cocker as it is a very safe gun without feed jams.

No difference, it's been a number of years since the 92 was produced in Italy, production was moved here to satisfy one component of the original military contract.

Hmmmm. I bought my 92 in January of this year and it was made in Italy. Other threads on this forum stated the 92's made in Italy had a little better fit than the US made ones. Although I don't see any difference in either gun. :lol:

I also have a Inox stainless 96. You will LOVE this gun. Just don't forget the barrel is exposed and gets hot! But I'm sure you will only make that mistake once.