67gtonut

Sparta Trap/Skeet Club

Hey guys.....

Would like to try and get a regular meet up each week.....

Thanks to Ken for finding this place...

Sparta Trap / Skeet Club

Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... cc3492c9b6

This is a nice rural set-up. 1 Trap House - 1 Wobble Trap House - 1 Skeet set-up.

Place is mostly a Skeet place used by the regular members..... so most of the time I believe the trap house is unused to maybe a light turnout....

Thinking a normal Sunday 2pm meet time....

Ken will sound in also with more info and our thought process....

It's a good idea. the trap field is underutilized, and we could have it to ourselves more often than not.

The place is a real bltch to find, but once you're there the first time, you won't forget how to find it. We could easily put 2 squads (10 shooters) there without putting anyone out, and I'm sure they could use the money.

When the list gets started put me at the top!!! once you go there once it is not hard to find. Definetly meet up with someone the first time you go, or you will never find it, mapquest and google aren't that good :D. This place will be awesome for us northern NJGF members, thanks Ken for making this known to us.

$4.00 a round plus $1.00 for the club. For example, shoot 4 rounds, 4x $4.00 + $1.00 = $17.00

Is there a membership available?

yeah, but there's no real value to it. I think it's 200 the first year and 125 after that, but it only goes to $3.00 a round for members. unless you shoot hundreds of rounds a year, there's no gain.

$4.00 a round plus $1.00 for the club. For example, shoot 4 rounds, 4x $4.00 + $1.00 = $17.00

Is there a membership available?

yeah, but there's no real value to it. I think it's 200 the first year and 125 after that, but it only goes to $3.00 a round for members. unless you shoot hundreds of rounds a year, there's no gain.

Ken, I agree, that's worthless.

If the Sunday afternoon standing meetup works out, once there's a core of guys who are interested and know how to get there, it'll become just a matter of showing up.

Some people will come more often than others, some will vary their participation and some will just rotate in and out.

It could be like our own little NJGF trap club. No need to make meetup posts, just show up or not. If 2 guys show, they'll throw for 2 guys. If 10 show up, even better. We'll need to learn to score ourselves. The range doesn't keep score for us. If we get to be regulars, I'm sure some of us could be checked out on the trap house so the range guys don't have to babysit us while we shoot. We'll load the house and pull and shoot at our own pace.

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun if it comes together.

I'm anxious to give sparta a shot. I enjoy shooting clay much more than I ever thought I would the first time I tried it, so I'm willing to give it a go, even tho I will undoubtedly embarrass myself horribly :)

I doubt it'll be every Sunday for me because of the distance, but if it's a good place, I could see myself doing it once a month or so.

Obviously, the second Sunday of the month is reserved for CR :)

I'm anxious to give sparta a shot. I enjoy shooting clay much more than I ever thought I would the first time I tried it, so I'm willing to give it a go, even tho I will undoubtedly embarrass myself horribly :)

All friends here... no embarrassment.

Obviously, the second Sunday of the month is reserved for CR :)

Wouldn't mess with that. That's turning into a huge good time.

I had a few minutes free, so I did this just for fun.

Custom NJGF trap score sheet.

[attachment=0]trapscore.jpg[/attachment]

Just to keep the interest alive.

Looks like the weekend may be a washout. Rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday.

Very disappointing. I was anxious to pop the cork on the Stoeger.

If it's just a light drizzle, I may still try to get out for a bit, but if it's a steady rain, I'll most likely pass.

You shoot clays with slugs Ken? That's what the sheet seems to suggest with the picture of a bullet rather than shot. Damn, you must be getting good.

Oooh I love shooting clays. Another option is the Clinton WMA. They have a "shotgun training area" that is usually dead. Just bring ammo, clays, and a hand trap and have a blast for peanuts. Only requirement is one legally licensed hunter in your group and you can use the area for free.

You shoot clays with slugs Ken? That's what the sheet seems to suggest with the picture of a bullet rather than shot. Damn, you must be getting good.

Not that good. I'm just too lazy to redraw the logo.

I can't even imagine trying to hit a moving clay at 25 or 30 yards with a slug. And, ouch. Ice that shoulder between rounds.

I'd be interested in coming out one time to learn how to shoot trap/skeet. I'm in Parsippany and the closest place is in Fairfield. Where in Sparta is this place or what is this place's official name? I cant find it.

It's pretty difficult to find even when you know where you're going. I went a few years ago to check it out, but never wound up actually shooting there since I joined Cherry Ridge. If you think you're going the wrong way and are in the middle of some industrial area, you're on the right track (no pun intended given the train tracks you cross over).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.04845,-74.63208&ll=41.048401,-74.632047&spn=0.007727,0.016512&num=1&t=h&z=17&iwloc=near

If I remember correctly, at least from a few years ago, they were only open a few hours a week. It was like Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings or something like that. Outside of those hours, the gate was closed near the tracks.

Pretty sure i stumbled over it today, but there were no tresspassing signs, anyone still know if this place is open???

While I don't know for sure, I'm betting it is. I've shot there a number of times but not this year. It's really just a club that allows walk ons, not really what you would consider a public range. I was never there when they were supposed to be open on a Tuesday afternoon.