Sign in to follow this  
bad64chevelle

8mm Mauser trouble

While at Ft. Dix this afternoon, my K98 decided to give me an issue. Many of the rounds were coming back half black. I finally noticed it when I got some debris that hit me in the face while shooting (felt like getting hit with sand) The gun was cleaned last week, and shot about 30 rounds today perfectly fine before this happened. All the same ammunition (Aim Surplus Romanian) that it has had about 400 through it since I bought the rifle. I immediately stopped firing the rifle, and took a picture of one of the casings.

8mm.jpg

Any thoughts?

Is this Romanian stuff steel case? Do you have the same issue with brass casr ammo?

It may be the steel case isn't expanding enough to seal the chamber and you're getting hit by gas blow by. Try some brass case ammo and see if it happens.

Are there any signs of headspace issues like primers backing out or the shoulder of the case gets blown forward a great deal?

It is a steel case. The primers have always looked fine. It just strikes me as odd that I have shot this ammo quite a bit, and now I have issues. I think I will have someone look over it before I fire it with some brass, I am worried that if it IS the head spacing I honestly would rather avoid the injury.

#1 Any surplus rifle should be head spaced with few exceptions.

#2 Steel cased ammo does not provide the best cartridge case seal.

#3 Was this ammo ever stored improperly or subject to moisture? How was it packed when you got it?

Just my thoughts.

Frank

BTW I don't like steel cased ammo. :deadhorse:

The Romanian and Yugo is the best surplus 8mm out there, both of these ammo types were meant for use in a 8mm mauser bolt action and the Mg34 and Mg42.I have shot plenty of both through a g41,g43,k98,g98/40, and a few others guns with no problem.

I have seen field gauge fail on several RC mausers out of the 200 or so I have checked.They butchered these guns beyond belief. One other thing is that steel case ammo can rust out from the inside out. I will not shoot it out of my g43 unless there is no other option.

headspace , steel case ammo + too much lube in chamber -