Matt

Some very basic shotgun questions from a newbie

Im sure this questions is stupid, but I dont know the first thing about shotguns -

Those of you who have a home defense shotgun, do you ever get a chance to shoot it? You can't really shoot clays with a home defense setup can you? So what do you do in terms of "target" shooting? I know for example that there is a shotgun range at cherry ridge but Ive heard thats just for clays, do people ever go and just practice with their home defense shotgun?

I would think most people who have a HD shotgun would want to practice with it. I just picked this up to be my HD gun, and I plan on practicing at the range with it until I am comfortable with it.

Picture112.jpg

my HD gun is a Mossberg 500 with an 19.5 inch barrel. I'll bring it to CR and blow up clays with it from time to time. I've also put slugs through it just to see how it works. CR only allows bird shot on the SG range and slugs on the 50/100. There's no place there to shoot any other loads. I think the indoor ranges allow buck and other loads, and at appropriate HD distances. That may be your best bet to familiarize yourself with the gun.

BTW, why can't you shoot clays with an HD gun? I haven't done it yet, but I've got a case of sporting shells ready for the next NJGF clay shoot meetup I can attend.

Clays turn to dust with an EBS just the same as they do with any other shotgun. It's just as much fun with the 500 at CR as it is with any other gun. On a trap range, it may be more difficult because of the distances, but it's just a matter of practice.

BTW, why can't you shoot clays with an HD gun? I haven't done it yet, but I've got a case of sporting shells ready for the next NJGF clay shoot meetup I can attend.

Clays turn to dust with an EBS just the same as they do with any other shotgun. It's just as much fun with the 500 at CR as it is with any other gun. On a trap range, it may be more difficult because of the distances, but it's just a matter of practice.

Another newbie question - What is the difference (if any) between clays and trap?

Clays are the targets, small round "frisbees" made of brittle clay so they break easily when shot.

Trap is the sport. clays are launched from a thrower, and the shooters take turns trying to break them on the fly.

Other clay sports are skeet and sporting clays. A quick Google search will get you a ton of additional details.

Matt....just a quick note, don't feel "stupid" or silly about asking even the simplest questions. That is what we are all here for. Just about everyone in this sport (unlike a lot of others) is more than willing to help out "noobs". Even if you think a question is stupid, don't hesitate to ask. Heck, I've been in this hobby for about 13 years and I still ask very basic questions quite often. We are here to help bud, don't hesitate to ask. ;)

You are right, pump actions are allowed to have evil features. As long as the barrel is at least 18" (18.5 just to error on the side of caution) and the overall length is 26" then you are good to go.

Thanks for the answers guys. Now the only problem is that I want a shotgun, 10/22, AR, and a couple more pistols and I dont know where to start!

Start with HD first. Your life is more important than your hobby. You dig?

By the way I have shot my NEF Pardner Pump many times, both 00 buck and slugs. You have to trust your life to the firearm you choose for HD, because that's exactly what you will be doing god forbid you ever need to use it.

Thanks for the answers guys. Now the only problem is that I want a shotgun, 10/22, AR, and a couple more pistols and I dont know where to start!

Start with HD first. Your life is more important than your hobby. You dig?

By the way I have shot my NEF Pardner Pump many times, both 00 buck and slugs. You have to trust your life to the firearm you choose for HD, because that's exactly what you will be doing god forbid you ever need to use it.

Eh I wouldn't be uncomfortable relying on my USP for HD, althought im sure a shotgun would be much more effective.

Eh I wouldn't be uncomfortable relying on my USP for HD, althought im sure a shotgun would be much more effective.

The firearm you know how to use and that is reliable = effective in HD. If you like your USP and take it out and use it and are comfortable with it, then you are on the right track. Shotguns are just "easier" to utilize when it's 3AM and you aren't really awake which is one of the reasons they are recommended.

I have shot clays with my Ithaca and an 18" barrel. I have since obtained a 28" barrel which swaps out in seconds.

There are many many add ons for the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 enabling you to customize EITHER model in any way you wish.

New England Firearms (NEF) makes some very very inexpensive single shot shotguns.

Here's a Remington 870 with less than 15 mins left on auction for less than $200

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160148990

Here's a springfield Savage with a buy it now for $150

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =159956970

Mossberg makes nice combo shotguns that are inexpensive and function great. This is the home defense combo. It has an 18" barrel and removable pistol grip for HD. It has a 28" vented rib barrel for standard shot. I also bought an additional barrel for shooting slug for $99. Three different barrels and uses for about $400, less than the cost of a cheap pistol.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/46907