BCeagle

Who do I get mad at Remington, Bullet Hole or myself?

I picked up a Remington SPS tac in 308 last month. Every picture I have ever seen has a hogue stock. I saw the gun at Bullet Hole for around what I had seen it at other places and picked it up. I had to return the rifle for a misfire and realized the rifle had a different stock then the one online. I emailed Remington and got this response:

Your gun turns out to be a special run we did at the request of some of our distributors. It is an SPS tactical, but it was specifically requested that we install the SPS Varmint beavertail stock instead of the Hogue.

How big a difference is the stock, to quote Snipercentral:

The obvious place that Remington saved money was in the stock. It is an injection molded plastic stock like you would find on a low end Savage rifle. It is fairly flimsy and the fit and finish on it is pretty poor, especially where the recoil pad mates to the stock

I am really pissed because obviously I didnt get what I thought I was getting and now I have to spend the time and money getting it replaced. Why would a dealer request the cheaper stock if not to confuse people? I am mad enough to cut both companies off my shopping lists but am I over reacting or justified.

EDIT: The more I read about how crappy this stock is, the more pissed I get to the point of seething.

Why did you take possession of the firearm if it did not have the stock you wanted on the rifle. From your orignal statement, the rifle was in stock and delivery was right from the store and not a special order shipped in at a later date.

Special runs are done all the time. Lew Horton. a MA dealer made his name doing just that. As far as the original request, it was made by the distributor, but the BH. Special runs are offered to the dealers and if they believe it is something that the buyers would be interested in, they will bring it into the store. The run was obviously not made at the request of the BH.

Quite frankly I was never that impressed with the Hogue stocks. They certainly weren't a high end piece.

As far as the Savage line, I've seen some great rifles that will hold it's own against mine or any other Remington 700P. The Savage Tactical use HS Precision as does the Remington 700P.

I would suggest that if an item is not exactly what you want, pass on it. way too many get caught up in the excitement of a new purchase and let the details escape them.

On the other hand if it turns out the rifle is defective, Remington will make good on it.

How does it shoot? You may want to keep that stock. I hope the price saving for the cheaper stock was passed on to you. IMHO you can't blame the retailer. And, Remington always has a disclaimer about subject to specification changes.

Please don't put too much credance in internet drivel. Shoot it enjoy it and see how it shoots. How does the bedding look?

Sorry you're unhappy and hope it works out as a good shooter.

The rifle works fine so Remington wont do anything. I just did a quick search and the stock I got is much cheaper. I overlooked it in the excitement of finding it in stock and not knowing that there ever was a 2nd option for stocks since it isnt anywhere. (and I researched this like a crazy before purchasing.)

Even if you dont like the Hogue, its still better then the current stock and even if it wasnt it, its still not what I thought I was getting. It feels like a cheap way to pawn off a more inexpensive rifle at a higher price.

I was ecstatic but its like bringing home a ferrari and finding a scratch. No matter how happy you are with everything you still are cant over look it. I blame myself. I am not a good enough shooter to probably see a difference yet but I hate it already.

There are no pillars or bedding block of any sort and going from online, the price I paid was the same price as the model with the Hogue stock. This is why I feel ripped off and I can blame the retailer.

If you have had good dealings with him before, I would err on the side of the dealer though. It is rare for a brick and mortar shop to be able to have as good a price on a gun as you see on the internet.

It's possible that your retailer may have had this in mind when he put it up for sale, a la bait-and-switch. If so, it is a shady tactic, to say the least.

Treat this as a not-that-painful learning experience. As for the stock, use this as an opportunity. If you had the Hogue stock, odds are that you might be upgrading it at some point anyway once the accuracy bug really bit you hard. For now you have an acceptable shooter that you can use while saving up for the McMillan or HS-Precision stock that you will eventually want anyway.

I checked and I could have gotten it much cheaper online if you compare the same rifle and stock. This has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I am a good customer (not great but I average a new purchase every 3 months) but I think I will be buying my rifles by my brother in PA from now on.

I guess the bottom line is my fault, cavaet emptor.

could have gotten it much cheaper on line

You have to factor in the shipping cost and the transfer fees. many times those cheap internet deals become not that great a deal after all is said and done.

I picked up a Remington SPS tac in 308 last month. Every picture I have ever seen has a hogue stock. I saw the gun at Bullet Hole for around what I had seen it at other places and picked it up. I had to return the rifle for a misfire and realized the rifle had a different stock then the one online. I emailed Remington and got this response:

Your gun turns out to be a special run we did at the request of some of our distributors. It is an SPS tactical, but it was specifically requested that we install the SPS Varmint beavertail stock instead of the Hogue.

How big a difference is the stock, to quote Snipercentral:

The obvious place that Remington saved money was in the stock. It is an injection molded plastic stock like you would find on a low end Savage rifle. It is fairly flimsy and the fit and finish on it is pretty poor, especially where the recoil pad mates to the stock

I am really pissed because obviously I didnt get what I thought I was getting

Get mad at yourself!!!! Did you not look at what you bought?? Come on get real.

Did someone blindfold you, twist your arm, hold a gun to your head??

and now I have to spend the time and money getting it replaced. Why would a dealer request the cheaper stock if not to confuse people? I am mad enough to cut both companies off my shopping lists but am I over reacting or justified.

If I was the seller I wouldn't mind you never returning. If you badmouthed my store for your own negligence when making a purchase I wouldn't allow you to come back.

EDIT: The more I read about how crappy this stock is, the more pissed I get to the point of seething.

While people make valid points about buyer responsibility, there are examples of sellers in other industries advertising products that strongly resemble what you are looking for but are missing a feature or two. I don't remember whether it was here or at another forum, but I had an argument about box retailer practices. It seems they would list electronics whose model number varied by a single letter from a higher end model. I remember looking for TV sets and was at Costco or The Price Club and thought I had found a great deal on a Widescreen Samsung TV. I held off because the model number had a single different character in the middle. I checked the Samsung website and this model was not to be found in their catalog. I Googled it and found out that it was a box-store special and that it didn't have the picture-in-picture tuner that the model I wanted had. I would've never known without scanning the list of all the features. You can tell me "caveat emptor" until you are blue in the face, but to me it is a clear case of bait-and-switch by the box store. I agree that a rifle stock is a more obvious thing to notice, but it would not shock me if an unscrupulous gun seller listed the gun BCEagle bought knowing that someone could easily confuse it for the model with the better stock. Legal? Yes. Shady business practice? Yes too, in my opinion.

Please note that the above is not meant to impugn the Bullet Hole in any way. I don't have any experience with them, good or bad. I am just trying to counter those who lay all the responsibility at the feet of the buyer. I think some portion belongs to a responsible seller too.

I highly doubt the dealer did this on purpose. In alot of the cases, if you know what you are looking for, you know the models more than the dealer. Ie, remington has like 30 different 700 variants. As long as on the box it matches what you ordered, they are typically satisfied.

I remember same thing with ruger 1022's. The stainless deluxe model. Was to come with a stainless barrel, however they shipped with the stainless barrel being painted. lol. Ruger changed it up.

I would write a letter to remington, they may send you a replacement stock.

At the end of the day it is your responsibility as the buyer to be sure you are purchasing the right product...

the dealer is not a mind reader.. and unless you say "i want THIS gun with THIS stock" and they say "ok here it is" (thus lying to you, that would be their fault) then i would say it is ultimately your responsibility as the buyer...

how similar ARE the stocks? looks wise.. post a picture of them for comparison..

I am pretty anal when it comes to buying a firearm, so much so that i will typically ask the manufacture a couple questions prior to making ANY purchases to be SURE im getting the right item..

First of all why would you be mad at Remington or the Bullet Hole? You bought a rifle that was in stock and now you don't like it. You have 3 options, 1-sell it, 2-replace the stock, or 3-live with it. We all do it, buy something that is close but not what we really wanted but we can't blame the people we bought it from.

It's certainly not Remington or BH's fault. If I go to the dealership to buy a white car, I don't roll out of the lot with a gray one and then realize something's wrong after I'm done goosing the thing down the highway, and blame the dealership.

How about if you went to the dealership and bought a special model Mustang GT that they had in stock (knowing the specs for them from Ford's website)?

And if certain dealerships special ordered it with cheaper tires and a smaller motor, still called it a Mustang GT, but charged the same as other dealers did for the better version?

Would it be your fault? Mostly. Is the dealer a scumbag taking advantage of people not comparing details (after all a Mustang GT is a Mustang GT, right?)? Absolutely.

It's certainly not Remington or BH's fault. If I go to the dealership to buy a white car, I don't roll out of the lot with a gray one and then realize something's wrong after I'm done goosing the thing down the highway, and blame the dealership.

How about if you went to the dealership and bought a special model Mustang GT that they had in stock (knowing the specs for them from Ford's website)?

And if certain dealerships special ordered it with cheaper tires and a smaller motor, still called it a Mustang GT, but charged the same as other dealers did for the better version?

Would it be your fault? Mostly. Is the dealer a scumbag taking advantage of people not comparing details (after all a Mustang GT is a Mustang GT, right?)? Absolutely.

I disagree if it had the same male and model # he would be guilty of fraud.

I am over it, I was pissed yesterday but it my fault. I should have approached it like buying a car, but I was naive and didnt think crap like this happened. I know now, and I am older and wiser. I wont trust what I see and will be more careful. I still wont shop there anymore or go the range because I think its a dubious practice. I'll try someone new or go to PA.

I am also going to sell the gun if possible and get what I want. I hate lingering on crap.

I disagree if it had the same male and model # he would be guilty of fraud.

I am over it, I was pissed yesterday but it my fault. I should have approached it like buying a car, but I was naive and didnt think crap like this happened. I know now, and I am older and wiser. I wont trust what I see and will be more careful. I still wont shop there anymore or go the range because I think its a dubious practice. I'll try someone new or go to PA.

I am also going to sell the gun if possible and get what I want. I hate lingering on crap.

not to push the issue further.. but if that range is close to you and the dealer has had a good reputation in the past i would not totally write them off as you may only be hurting yourself..

you think honestly.. did they do this to scam you? no probably not.. they are out to make money and stay alive like any other business.. if the situation was different and they outright lied to you, your feelings would be far more justified..

they showed you a weapon..

you were not sure what you were looking at...

agreed to buy it.. and they sold it to you..

nothing about that is really wrong..

it would be like me buying that DPMS 308 assuming it came with a certain type of trigger or something and finding out it DIDNT and then being mad that they didnt bring that up.. firearms are available with so many different configurations that sometimes you REALLY have to study up before making a purchase..

I would do just as you are doing and chalk it up as a learning experience.. 8-)

If you would like, please bring in the gun and tell whoever it is that helps you that I asked you to bring it in. I will call Remington for you and see what I can do. Maybe we can get this straightened out for you.

Jen

Way to go Jen, this is how a reputable shop does business. They did nothing wrong, but are willing to do what they can to make the customer happy. Let us know how it all turns out.

If you would like, please bring in the gun and tell whoever it is that helps you that I asked you to bring it in. I will call Remington for you and see what I can do. Maybe we can get this straightened out for you.

Jen

agreed nice to see a shop offer to try to help....

Jen

Thanks Jen, sorry to freak out, like I said I have no one to blame but myself and I was pretty pissed. Dave usually helps me when I am there. If you can just get what Remington would charge me to swap out the stock I would appreciate it. I'll PM you so you dont have to keep checking the message board I actually thought the thread was dead until this morning.

I will feel like an ASS if they fix this and I could have just called them when I found out instead of Remington.

Jen

Thanks Jen, sorry to freak out, like I said I have no one to blame but myself and I was pretty pissed. Dave usually helps me when I am there. If you can just get what Remington would charge me to swap out the stock I would appreciate it. I'll PM you so you dont have to keep checking the message board I actually thought the thread was dead until this morning.

I will feel like an a** if they fix this and I could have just called them when I found out instead of Remington.

i would have probably spoken to them before i made this thread.. but hey at least they are trying to help.. let us know how it goes!

Honestly, didnt expect them to do anything, it was my fault and I am glad they offered I will let you know what happens. I guess they may make me eat my words and get my next rifle there. (i was goingt osit out a bit but was using a Sig556 at CR today. So nice.)