Teufelhunden

Problem with CMP shipping to NJ?

I'm not the one who posted it on CMP. I just stumbled on the thread and was wondering if anyone had any info on it.

As far as I know, an ffl was not needed in NJ (or any other state) if ordering from the CMP, which is why I found the thread curious. Also note it seems going through an ffl wouldn't help anyway, since the CMP is putting all orders from NJ in a pile until further notice.

Hard to tell what's up by Orest's typical cryptic response, but his tone makes me think it may lean toward tax issues vs. gun law issues.

My reasoning is that he's stated many times in the past that he doesn't care about local laws; he only has to follow federal. It's YOUR responsibility to ensure you meet your own local laws, not his. But I have heard of a lot of internet companies being harassed by NJ about collecting taxes for internet sales, which is what makes me wonder. What do you think? Of course he could also just be verifying that his organization is exempt from OGAM also. Very curious.

BTW, Orest made VERY clear MANY times that Carbines would be available to New Jersey when they finally came out, for the above reasons. (Not illegal for CMP to send them to you, it's illegal for you to receive it). But there were so many NJ WHINERS that just couldn't accept yes for an answer and continued to press him that he finally just gave up and said he wouldn't accept NJ orders. Had it not been for the whiners, we could have ordered one and had it shipped somewhere else.

Yeah, I think its tax related too, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more non-free states (NY,CA,MA, etc.) that try to get some vig from CMP, being that THEY SHIP HIGH POWERED MILITARY AUTOMATIC AK47 ASSAULT RIFLES AND COP KILLER BULLETS TO PEOPLES HOUSES WHERE THEY RAPE THE OCCUPANTS AND KIDS AND SMALL ANIMALS CAN GET THEIR EYES SHOT OUT BY LOOKING AT THEM :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o :violence-rapidfire: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-rapidfire:

I jest, of course

Guess it really was kind of a big deal.

Here's what Orest said today;

"...However, just before the shipment was to go out the door, we received a call from authorities in NJ who informed us that we may be in violation of NJ State Law by shipping rifles directly to your home".

Went on to say they'd have it resolved by 15 Apr.

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but Orest stated he has a meeting with NJ Attorney General today over the issue. Sounds like meeting will determine if CMP can still mail rifles directly to your home or if it would have to go through FFL.

Knew Christy was anti-gun and very pro AW ban, but was really hoping he'd be a little too busy trying to clean up this state and wouldn't bother with our guns for now. I was wrong.

I'm sure they're working out a way to collect the sales tax automatically too!

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but Orest stated he has a meeting with NJ Attorney General today over the issue. Sounds like meeting will determine if CMP can still mail rifles directly to your home or if it would have to go through FFL.

I can't see what NJ's issue is with CMP. A NJ resident can go buy a rifle from an out of state FFL in most states. You really can't expand your state law past your borders but NJ apparently thinks it might be able to.

I can't see what NJ's issue is with CMP. A NJ resident can go buy a rifle from an out of state FFL in most states. You really can't expand your state law past your borders but NJ apparently thinks it might be able to.

I sent the CMP a copy of my NJ FID. They needed it to process my order. I just think NJ wants to make things as difficult as possible. My prediction is that NJ forces CMP to ship rifles to FFLs. This state sucks.

I sent the CMP a copy of my NJ FID. They needed it to process my order.

That's a new one too. In the past Orest said explicitly that it wasn't required.

I didn't read it anywhere. I just assumed that, this being NJ, that I should provide it just to cover both our asses.

Re: Problem with CMP shipping to NJ?

Quote:

I sent the CMP a copy of my NJ FID. They needed it to process my order.

That's a new one too. In the past Orest said explicitly that it wasn't required.

When did Orest say that? This is from their list of requirements. You can just go to the last line.

If you buy from a FFL out of state they need to see your FID (most will copy it).

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm:

The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result.IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase

When did Orest say that? This is from their list of requirements. You can just go to the last line.

He's said it many times for the last few years. I didn't realize they'd added that last line - thanks for bringing it up. Last rifle I bought was last January (09) and you didn't need it then.

I didn't realize they'd added that last line

I haven't got a rifle from CMP for about a year. I've been buying from CMP for sometime. I always sent them my military id and NJ FID card when I updated my credentials as those two documents cover everything. They always used to ask for FIDs and I sent the FID without looking at the requirements the past few years. Orest is right about only having to worry about federal law as CMP's charter is unique. If they took out the FID requirement I never noticed but it's there now.

The supposed carbine issue is speculation right now. CMP has never shipped a carbine to an NJ address, AFAIK.I dunno where the boardsters got that from.Orest has kept vague about it, as usual.Will have to see what it is, but I think its not carbine related, IMHO.Of course I could be wrong----

I read a post on another board about a year ago concerning the M1 carbine and it's legality in NJ. The poster basically said, well it can't be illegal in NJ, otherwise the CMP wouldn't ship them to you. :o I believe wholeheartedly that people really are that dumb.

Of course it could also be an issue with shipping guns to NJ period, I guess we'll find out soon...

On 12 April CMP representatives met with representatives of the NJ State Police and the NJ Attorney General's office. At issue was the fact that CMP customers were receiving rifles at their home and not from a firearms dealer licensed by the state. It was the opinion of the representatives of both the NJ State Police and the AG's office that NJ requires all firearm transactions be face to face and the transfer of a rifle be made to the customer by a NJ licensed dealer. Therefore, NJ residents cannot certify paragraph K on the CMP order form that reads: "I further certify that I will not be in violation, by reason of my receipt or posession of a rifle, of any state law or puiblished ordinance applicable where I reside". Effective immediately, rifles sold and shipped to NJ residents must be shipped to NJ licensed firearms dealers. Customers should provide CMP with copies of the dealer's FFL and NJ State license, along with the CMP order form. This applies to all rifle orders we have already received and not yet shipped. Each of those customers will be contacted individually this week. New Jersey residents who visit either CMP store may purchase and pick up rifles without the necessity of going through a NJ licensed dealer. Orest MichaelsChief Operating Officer.