Sign in to follow this  
ben

2d Amendment Right

I was having a discussion with an attorney friend of mine about the new Healthcare Reform, which led to discussion about the 2d Amendment Right. He asked me why I think anyone is entitled to own firearms. I didn't say I own firearms to defend myself from criminals, which that particular use is possible but you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

When our forefathers incorporated this right into the Constitution, they were not thinking that this country would be rampant with petty thieves and therefore everyone would need to own a gun.

I own firearms because we live in a society of checks and balances. The three branches of government check each other. We as citizens check the government as a whole. This is an absolute requirement to maintaining any free society, because absolute power corrupts absolutely. Those that argue against this are either naive or know full well what they are doing.

You are NOT paranoid if you own firearms as a way to check the government against any potential tyranny. The 2d Amendment Right is not only one of the freedoms you enjoy from being a U.S. citizen, but it is one of your duties as a U.S. citizen and should never be questioned.