lexcruiser

Legality of "barrel shrouds"?

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum for this question, but I was wondering if "barrel shrouds" for the AR platforms are legal to install?

Its not a silencer nor a mock silencer, just a thicker "barrel" going over the stock barrel...

Thoughts?

Here are some pics of what I mean... (not my rifle)

Thanks!

DSCF0720.jpg

DSCF0722.jpg

DSCF0721.jpg

i would assume since it is NOT a silencer the same rules apply to any other barrel device... meaning that if you are threading it on it must be PERMANENTLY attached, because if it is not.. you could just unscrew it and be left with exposed threads, which you are not allowed to have..

but i have to ask.. what is the point?

Strictly for TactiCOOL purposes of course. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Would not be looking to thread my barrel to install this. A member of another forum is making them and I've asked if its possible to fasten it by other means (eg. locking screws). Thought this was another aesthetic alternative to putting on a muzzle break.

i would assume since it is NOT a silencer the same rules apply to any other barrel device... meaning that if you are threading it on it must be PERMANENTLY attached, because if it is not.. you could just unscrew it and be left with exposed threads, which you are not allowed to have..

You should probably quote the whole law when explaining the threaded barrel rule.

You indeed CAN have threaded barrels in NJ on a rifle that accepts detachable magazines if that is your one evil feature. (substantially identical discussion aside)

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/06240 ... 13ch54.pdf

You should probably quote the whole law when explaining the threaded barrel rule.

why would i do that when he is asking about a specific firearm that obviously has a pistol grip.. ;)

i mean yeah sure i could repost the same set of NJ gun law guidelines that have been posted here a million times.. but the short if it is if its got a detachable mag AND pistol grip (like the one pictured) you will either have to permanently attach OR use some method other than threads..

"threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor"

If a flash hider can't thread onto the barrel, it can have threads.

the problem with actually reading NJ law is that when you read it, it was obviously not written by anyone with ANY firearms experience whatsoever, or much common sense for that matter... i take it at face value of a "threaded barrel" ONLY because how can they (or you) prove that there is not a single flash suppressor in the world that will thread onto whatever pitch threads you happen to have.. secondly im going out on a limb here and assuming that if a company is making "fake silencers" they are likely threading them in a pretty standard pitch... it would probably not be very useful to just randomly decide on some obscure threading..

• Like 1

Hey guys! Didn't want to turn this into a debate about threaded barrels. :mrgreen:

I am definitely NOT threading my barrel, just wanted to make sure something like this "shroud" wouldn't violate any laws or statutes. If I get it, it will be installed and secured with set screws.

But yes, assumptions would be correct that my 15-22 has a detachable magazine AND a pistol grip, so I've used up all my allotted evil slots. :lol:

I know "shrouds" are stated as not legal on handguns, but just wanted to see if you guys knew any more info in relation to rifles. Personally, this is all just for aesthetics and to feel awesome when I look at myself in the mirror with the 15-22 in my hands (while wearing my PJs), but that is certainly not worth getting arrested for when I bring it to the range..! :dance:

why would i do that when he is asking about a specific firearm that obviously has a pistol grip.. ;)

i mean yeah sure i could repost the same set of NJ gun law guidelines that have been posted here a million times.. but the short if it is if its got a detachable mag AND pistol grip (like the one pictured) you will either have to permanently attach OR use some method other than threads..

OR.. loose the pistol grip

Carolyn McCarthy, a congresscrud from NY has the answers to your question about the barrel shroud.......

i never get tired of that video.. it just really illustrates the clueless nature of the government..

whats a barrel shroud

avoids the question

again.. whats a barrel shroud

avoids the question

finally get to the crux of the matter.. do you KNOW what a barrel shroud is?

its the thingy that goes up?????

no.. its not..

Haha! :mrgreen:

That was great.. So what is the consensus? Am I breaking the law if I have this WITHOUT threading the barrel?

Nope. as long as there arent any threads, you're fine.... Just practice saying "Get to da Choppa" in your best german accent though.

That looks like a muzzle device to me.  Says it's threaded with the same size/pitch threads as a muzzle device.

its a cap for the shroud.  look at their other designs.  its appearance is why i like it and why i can understand why you see it as a muzzle device.

You indeed CAN have threaded barrels in NJ on a rifle that accepts detachable magazines if that is your one evil feature. (substantially identical discussion aside)

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/06240 ... 13ch54.pdf

so I can have an m1a with a threaded barrel?