bbk

Redi-Mag and B.A.D lever [pics added, finally]

I don't have pictures right now as I would rather provide quality pictures instead of less then decent phone pictures for a review. I will update this post when I do add the pictures though.

To note from the get-go, both products are for AR variants.

I recently got the original MK 1 Redi-Mag from Boonie Packer (http://store.magpul.com/product/96/100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There are other iterations of both the Redi-Mag and B.A.D lever on the market.

Boonie Packer does offer a quick attach version (MK 1 QA listed on the previous link), and Blue Forces Gear offers a skeleton version of the Redi-Mag known as the Redi-Mod (http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cf ... prod_id=91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The MK1 goes for $80, MK1QA at $85, and BFG at $175.

There are other iterations of the B.A.D lever, but for brevity's sake, I'm sure people can utilize a search engine. Magpul's design retails at $30.

The point of the Redi-Mag is to hold a spare magazine without using magazine couplers or 100MPH tape. Though, to be fair, the Redi-Mag's design is far different from the concept of couplers (whether aftermarket or homemade). Unlike couplers, the Redi-Mag allows for independent manipulation of the spare magazine compared to attaching two magazines to each other.

The current design allows for the user to independently release the magazine from the AR, and release the magazine in the Redi-Mag separately. The original design released both magazines simultaneously.

With the Redi-Mag from Boonie Packer also comes an extra part called the Bolt Catch Extension. Because of the design of the Redi-Mag, and how it sits on the mag-well, manipulating the bolt catch can be difficult. Boonie Packer remedies this by including a large piece of polymer that goes over the bolt catch to allow easier manipulation.

I would assume most people know of the BAD lever from Magpul. Generally, it attaches to the bolt catch, and allows for manipulation of the BC without having to remove the primary hand from the fire position.

---

Installation:

I installed the BAD lever first as I received the part first (though it would have been easier to install this first anyway). The installation for the BAD lever is pretty self-explanatory, and took maybe three minutes.

The Redi-Mag required a bit more finesse. Though, once I realized where everything was meant to go, the installation took about five minutes.

---

Thoughts:

I never installed the bolt catch extension that came with the Redi-Mag because I was using the BAD lever. However, if I was not using the BAD lever, I would think using Boonie Packer's BCE or something similar would be necessary. Because of the design of the Redi-mag, trying to manipulate the bolt catch is a bit of a squeeze. As for the Redi-Mag, I opted to go cheap as I couldn't justify spending the additional $95 for the Blue Forces Gear version considering its literally the same product with a dremel tool taken to it. With that said, I do believe there are reviews online of people who have done just that (something I might consider down the road).

Once installed, the Redi-Mag was rock solid. The positive feedback when inserting a magazine (a *click*) is great, and the lever that is depressed to release the magazine is very manageable. After putting around 200+ rounds through the AR, the Redi-Mag didn't budge, nor were there any issues while operating the AR. In the actual operation of transitioning from a spent magazine, and inserting a fresh one via the Redi-Mag-- it did take some practice. And, honestly, it will continue to take practice to get it right. I'm more accustomed myself to 30-round style magazines, so straight body magazines (I'm using 15rd PMags in 20rd body like most of you) is something I'm still adjusting to, in terms of proper grip, etc. However, with that said, there were no failures, just some juggling initially.

A big aspect that a lot of reviews/people have discussed is the weight issue. I recently changed from the full bodied EOTech 517 to an Aimpoint micro optic (H-1), as a means of reducing some weight on the rifle. So, why would I go ahead and add the weight of the Redi-Mag and an additional magazine w/ 13-15 rounds? Honestly, I hardly felt the weight. Also understand that a 30-rd magazine + rounds comes out to be around 1 lbs. So, two 20-body magazines with 13 in each comes out to be roughly that 1 lbs.; while most of the complaints about weight are from users using two 30-rd magazines, fully loaded. One pound may not sound like a lot, but weight = pain, and every ounce counts. In my case, considering I dropped my optic from being about 12 oz to roughly 5oz (to include the mount), and most of the weight is on the side versus top-- this is why I hardly feel the weight difference.

Weight is preference though, so I won't say definitively if its not a deal breaker or not.

Operating the BAD lever also takes a good deal of practice. Its an amazing product if used correctly for manipulating the bolt. I would recommend to get a badger latch or a charging handle that is ideal for one-handed operation (like the BCM Gunfighter)-- considering that's the whole point... otherwise, if the user prefers using the more traditional method, just skip the BAD lever all together. A lot of users like how it makes for easy, super-fast reloads... though the point is bolt manipulation for any means (I believe weapon malfunctions was the initial reasoning).

I got them both as they work in conjunction. My reasoning for the Redi-Mag is because my AR is my primary HD firearm. While I do not expect to ever have to fire more then one or two rounds (if that), the fact that I can carry an additional magazine is a huge plus-- considering most weapon's malfunctions are magazine related... and if that were to happen, at least I could quickly ditch the bad mag, and have a secondary one at hand.

As for the BAD lever... I think if I had to choose between one or the other, I would take the BAD lever as it really does allow the user so many more freedoms. It reduces awkwardness when trying to manipulate the system, and does so without sacrificing time or anything else.

My last point though is that these types of modifications, like every other aspect when depending on a firearm that you may use to defend your life and possibly your loved ones, is to PRACTICE/TRAIN. I can definitely admit that I am not proficient with the process yet, and would not be comfortable utilizing it in an actual situation currently. Its definitely going to take some time, but I wouldn't have spent the money and kept them on my AR if I didn't think they would compliment the system and me as a user.

*Will add pictures ASAP.

Thanks for the sharing your experience so far with us. Good stuff.

I do have a question tho... I could probably google this, but what would be the fun in that ;)

Does the Redi-Mag work for left handers? More specifically, how exactly do you release the spare mag?

I like the idea of the Redi-Mag, especially for a gun that's set up in an HD role, but, I've always wondered if it's workable for left handers (I'm right handed, but shoot rifles lefty).

Yea, I'm actually upset with myself that I didn't pick up a BAD lever sooner.

Caine: Even thought you're pretty weird ( :p ), you can still utilize the Redi-Mag with the left hand. I spent the last couple of minutes trying it out, and its definitely do-able, even though my weak side is pretty weak. Your trigger finger can also manipulate the lever that is depressed (inwards, towards the AR), and then use the support hand to grab the magazine and insert it into the magazine well of the AR. Its definitely not as fluid of an operation compared to how righties would use it (simply to use the support hand to grab the magazine, and use the thumb to depress said lever to release it, etc)-- but doable.

Thanks for the follow up, Ben. I think I get what you're describing. It's something I would have to try with someone else's setup before deciding if it's for me... good thing someone "I know" has one :D

Interestingly enough, the BAD lever seems even more advantageous for a lefty than a righty. I'm just a little hesitant to add something to the AR that changes the manipulation of controls and in the process, introduces muscle memory that would only work on a BAD equipped AR. But for $30, it's probably worth installing on one of my ARs just to see for myself.

As for me and my weirdness... you should see how my "war belt" is set up for classes! :lol: Now that is weird

I'll promise you that if you can get use to the BAD lever, its sooo worth it. I was really concerned with how it would affect my "manual of arms" (I finally have Vol. 1 in the mail, and I know I'll be bombarded by Mr. Haley's "manual of arms" breakdowns)... honestly though, as NJ609 pointed out, its a lot more natural. I've been using the one-handed technique to manipulate the charging handle for awhile now (muscle memory per say). Adding in flicking the BAD lever up to lock it, and down to release it has been seamless. I really do think it transcends being a theory-based product, and is a must have for AR users.

This summer if I can make it to one of the big meets, I'll let you have a go at the Redi-Mag.

Efficient charging handle manipulations are a big weak point of mine, largely because of the hand issues. Still working out a method that works well for me every time. Where I know the BAD would shine for me is releasing the bolt after a bolt-back reload. Currently my options are to hit the bolt release with my trigger finger, or reach around the mag well and hit it with my support hand... about half the time I end up having to glance down to make sure I'm in the right spot. The BAD would alleviate all of that because I could hit it with my support side thumb, which will already be in position after seating the new mag. Just talking about it is getting me excited about installing one :D

Thanks for the write up, Ben. I get to spend some money on the AR again thanks to this ;)

You'll like Vol. 1 I think. Vol. 2 is pretty good as well, but Vol. 1 is more relevant to the average person I feel.

Seriously been trying to upload pictures for the past half hour. Apparently the only camera in the house has software that is incompatible with my computer. I'd rather not take any iPhone pics (I don't have the 4, no flash), as the lighting would be horrid-- I'll try that tomorrow though when I do have some natural lighting.

Sorry Ray :(

*Disclaimer: Rifle is NJ complaint, magazines are NJ compliant (15/20 PMags)

Ha, ok, took some pictures from my phone. Not the best quality, but I can use them to supplement my thoughts.

I started using the Redi-Mag w/ BAD lever roughly six months ago. Since, I've put around a thousand rounds through my rifle, and done countless magazine changes (and only one malfunction :evil: ).

I'm confident to say that I'm still utilizing both on my rifle, which functions as my HD/go-to firearm.

I initially thought the weight was going to be an issue, as I was going for a lighter setup to began with. I swapped out an EOTech and DMS-1 for an Aimpoint H-1, and also got rid of extra peripherals on the rails (don't run any type of VFG or covers (aside from rail ladders), just a light+mount). So, why add the extra few ounces with the Redi-Mag, and another half pound because of the magazine+ammo?

Quick shot w/ two magazines in:

Since this is my primary, I understand that if I were in a crisis situation, I'd rather not take my chances with only one available magazine. Considering the overwhelming majority of malfunctions are directly caused because of magazine issues, the fact that I have a fresh primary magazine available in a highly accessible position is a huge plus. Instead of trying to stuff my pockets (which, if its a knock at night, my skeevies probably don't have pockets to began with), or, worse, hold an extra in my reaction hand-- the extra weight sits on my reaction side (left-hand side). In the picture, you'll notice that it is definitely apparent (in space and weight), but manages to stay low profile enough where it doesn't catch on things, etc.

Demonstrated here:

Even if I were in a free state where I could utilize 30-round magazines, I would still probably run the Redi-Mag for the exact reason stated above.

I did notice that when the magazines sit in the Redi-Mag, the magazine does not sit dress-right-dress with the magazine in the rifle:

(magazine in rifle on left, Redi-Mag on right)

This is favorable as it helps with differentiating magazines on reloads. This is a factor with really combat reloads only, but it does help with admin reloads as well.

The "back side" of the Redi-Mag is just a flat space:

As you can see, it does cover up the SW15 logo. You can also see that mine is not the quick attach version, as there is a huge lump in the front (also in the picture). I don't mind the lump-- as its only somewhat of a pain when I unhinge the rifle to take out the BCG/CH. Instead of a ~90 degree angle, it is closer to 50 or so. Still plenty of angle to take out/put in the BCG/CH comfortably.

Even with the Redi-Mag on place, the serial number can still be seen (for those who this matters too). In the following picture, there is an empty space that isn't well defined because of my crappy camera, but this is where the serial number can be seen through:

Again though, it takes practice. It took me a lot of practice reloads to just grab the right magazine, and, slowly, place it in the magazine weld. The lever on the Redi-Mag is solid, with no issues. The only thing that bugs me a bit is sometimes the Redi-Mag will rattle faintly when there is a magazine inserted. This has no effect on the magazine though, and stays firmly latched.

---

The BAD lever most people are familiar with already. It didn't take me long to get accustomed. Because of the Redi-Mag, things can get a bit cluttered, but is more then manageable. This can be seen in this picture where the bolt catch/BAD lever is attached, alongside the Redi-Mag lever:

I could imagine with winter gloves, it might get a bit cluttered. I cut the tips off my gloves, so I haven't been able to test what its like. I am going to be investing in some Mechanix down the road, and I might add once I get that experience.

Regardless, the BAD lever (with preferably a charging handle w/ latch, for one handed manipulation) is a smart buy for any AR owner.

Happy, RayRay?! ;)

Its the Mod4, and I too wish I went with the bigger Mod3. I was worried about the latches snagging on things, but doesn't seem like that's an issue at all.

I'll update some of these pictures later when I get out of work. Sitting on this other computer makes me realize how dark some of the pictures are-- I'll remedy that so it makes it a bit easier to see what I'm talking about.

ETA:

Krd- I have watched the Magpul Dynamics DVDs (ha, I still have to mail some back to Caine :deadhorse:;) ). Travis was a big reason why I opted to try out the Redi-Mag (he uses the Redi-Mod, just an altered version of the Redi-Mag... and about $70-100 more expensive). Its a decent instructional video, the first volume being a really good start for beginners to the platform. I found the second volume to be a huge jump from the first in terms of skills and audience. There is some good stuff though in v.2, but it seems like maybe 1% of the population would actually have need to watch that DVD (aside from gun pr0n :D ).

There is some good stuff though in v.2, but it seems like maybe 1% of the population would actually have need to watch that DVD (aside from gun pr0n :D ).

+1

The 2nd volume is a 2nd dvd or is it on the same dvd? I have the "A day of training" videos - there's 2 of them.

Different set of dvd's. AOTTC is a set of 3 DVDs and AOTTC2 is a different set of 4 DVDs.

The 2nd volume is a 2nd dvd or is it on the same dvd? I have the "A day of training" videos - there's 2 of them.

The separate DVD volume: http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN002/76

Its targeted towards guys who use their primary and secondary day-in-day-out.

I know the second DVD for volume 1 does highlight more advanced concepts-- but volume 2 itself is solely dedicated to operators... hence, not much use for civilians like us.