Sign in to follow this  
mikelets456

Best holster or type for carry

I have a Springfield XD9 SC (3") and was wondering if IWB is the best [overall] way to carry. To carry in the summer I will have cargo shorts and a "T" shirt (out) with the occasional cargo pants with tucked in collared shirt. In the winter it will be jeans with shirt out or cargo with shirt tucked in. I am 6' at 225 lbs and stocky build.

I have been looking at the "super tuck" with combat cut. What I basically want to know is this the best "all around" way to carry for my attire listed above? Also, it will be a mix of driving, walking and sitting.

I use an IWB when I carry and I simply tuck the shirt in around it. It doesn't print and my wife, who knows I carry, has asked if I was carrying at times. I use a Desantis IWB and do so with heavire winter clothing an shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Whatever platform you choose; practice moving your shirt, drawing with a good grip and firing. The best gun and holster combo in the world won't help if you can't get the shirt out of the way.

Correct about the belt. It should be rigid and thick. I'm about 5"11 and 190 lbs. Safariland makes a nice "undercover" belt, but there are a number of them on the market. I sometimes use a Kramer IWB in the summer. It prints a bit under a dark color golf shirt. A darker color shirt or a patterned shirt will hide your rig fairly well.

If you are planning to do a lot of driving, an OWB holster will be more comfortable--but the seat belt can be a problem. In the summer, I often use an OWB over a tucked in t-shirt with a lightweight patterned shirt over it, kept unbuttoned. I suppose that in places where CCW is common, that is like wearing a target.

With either an OWB or IWB, I like my pistol at about four or five o'clock--roughly behind the pants leg seam.

In cold weather under a coat or for a long-distance drive, I use an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig. Be sure to train and practice with a shoulder rig before you use it in public.