Bill from NJ

Ruger P90 or Sig Sauer p220

May I have your opinions of the following pistols?

Between the Ruger P90 and the Sig Sauer p220 ...

This choice is going to be used as an off duty piece.

1) Can you please advise me on which is the most reliable. In other words which would you bet your life on?

2) Do you know where my son can shoot one or both of these pistols before actual purchase?

(Any place that will allow you to try out the pistols in question?)

I have no clue and I'm unable to give an answer from personal experience between the two.

As an old fart, I only have experience with the wheel guns.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Im really not up on the Rugers but I didnt care for the few I have shot. I would choose the Sig. Just make sure its a new 220. IIRC older 220's in .45 had some frame cracking issues. Despite that I would still go sig between those two. I'm sure you know this already but if its an off duty piece his Dept may only allow specific models.

Shane

The Ruger is a big hunk of gun. It is as reliable as they come though. I am a lefty, so Sig's controls don't work for me. They are an all around nicer-looking gun than the Rugers. Check out Shore Shot Pistol Range. I know they have a Sig 220 on their rental board. I would swear they have a Ruger P90 too, although it's not on the list. Call them and ask for Kyle.

See the thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6881

As for pure reliability, no less than Mas Ayoob recommended the P90 and its polymer successor, the P345.

The P90 hands down. Ambi controls are a must since I'm a lefty. I just shot my old mans P90DC and the recoil isn't bad since the gun weighs a ton. Sigs are right handed only guns, but they are good guns too.

Either choice would do the job, though.

Bill,

My only comment is that every Sig i've ever shot has never failed.

I can't say that about the Ruger's I've shot but even then, all my nits were minor. Not saying the P90 is a bad one. I've shot lots of Rugers, just not that one. My Mark II started to FTE after the extractor was worn a bit on the fifteenth thousandth round.

I've shot a thousands of rounds through Ruger wheel guns, not so much on pistols.

This is sort of like a debate on which is better, Lexus or Acura. If you need the ambi though, the Ruger would be my choice.

Wow... I never thought I would see a SIG p220 and a Ruger P90 compared let alone the ruger winning out.

SIG P220.

This is one of the most durable, reliable, accurate, powerful and easy to use handguns ever designed. I am a lefty also and there is no issue whatsoever in using the controls of the SIG. You decock with your trigger finger. It is not a safety...the guns is DA/SA. The trigger is one of the best DA triggers you can find, and the SA is a short, very light pull. The Rugers trigger is not comparable. SIG p220s are know for there accuracy and speed. It weighs a few ounces less, and is about half an inch less in height. But it is a .25 thicker, mainly in the grip panels, which are exterior where the P90s are integrated.

The Ruger is a very good gun, very reliable also. But the SIG is on another level. This is not apples to oranges here... this is a Ford f150 stripper to Ford F250 King Ranch comparison.

Yea... the F150 will get you places and carry your goods but which would you rather drive?

The Ruger is a very good gun, very reliable also. But the SIG is on another level. This is not apples to oranges here... this is a Ford f150 stripper to Ford F250 King Ranch comparison.

Good comparision. You also need to consider how much you want or have to spend.

1) Can you please advise me on which is the most reliable. In other words which would you bet your life on?

I carried a P90 as a duty gun for about 5 years so I guess that answers your question. However, I would carry either gun. Choosing between the two, reliability is not an issue. At the time I looked at the 220 as I wanted a DA 45 auto for duty use. The Ruger was $290 and the SIG $500. The SIG is a bit more refined but not worth the extra $200 IMO. As far as a carry gun there is no difference between the two.

Again, Thank you all for your input and comments.

I sincerely appreciate it.

My philosophy has always been; "money is a non-issue compared to my life".

I only want the best, meaning this: "reliability each and every time I squeeze the trigger... I want it to go bang, Period!"

I will have my son try out a few pistols before his purchase, I believe there is a place up by sea girt :whistle: where I can try them out.

Personally, I'd rather he just use a revolver, but they are not allowed to carry them.

Hell, he cannot even carry my 35 year old Colt Combat commander, has to use a double action pistol for off duty carry.

What has happened to my America? What has happened to Pistols & Revolvers made of blued steel and real wood?

Everything is a$$ backwards anymore.

I understand what you mean by upgraded, fancy, with all of the bells and whistles, but ... I'd choose that old stripper Ford F150 each and every time... if it would start every time I turned the key.

Thanks Guys for all of your help...

My vote is for sig, I have a p220 super match, after having the trigger adjusted a bit, its a fine gun.

You probably wont find a more reliable firearm. Sig is rock solid with very little 'care' needed...

My vote is for sig, I have a p220 super match, after having the trigger adjusted a bit, its a fine gun.

You probably wont find a more reliable firearm. Sig is rock solid with very little 'care' needed...

How do you keep from making a mess in your pants with such a hot gun?

Bill,

Where do you live in Camden County. If nearby to Cherry Hill / Voorhees I can take you all out to shoot some guns in May. Between myself and some other CC residents we can prob come up with about every pistol you want to shoot.

Plus you can go to Hagues in Woodbury area, just off 295 S about 15 minutes from the 295/ rt70 junction and rent about any .45 out there.

Bill,

Where do you live in Camden County. If nearby to Cherry Hill / Voorhees I can take you all out to shoot some guns in May

I live in Audubon, my son lives down the road in Haddon Township.

We both belong to South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow. If you want to try there.

It is not for me to try out any pistols, it is just to help my son try the ones he's interested in and decide what is best for him.

I truly appreciate the offer, thank you.

Can't believe all the Ruger hate on here! Anyway, let us know what he finally decides please.

I am with you Ray. Sometimes the Chevy does the job as reliably as the BMW (and often, even better).

If I want to show off my guns, I break out the Dan Wesson CBOB or HK P7M8. For the Zombie Apocalypse, I want my Glock 34 and my Ruger PC-9 Carbine.

I don't own either one for their aesthetic qualities. I want something that always goes bang and puts the bullet where I aim the gun.

let us know what he finally decides please.

I will do Sir....

I want something that always goes bang and puts the bullet where I aim the gun

Ditto....

Can't believe all the Ruger hate on here!

I don't get it either, hell I own 6 revolvers from Ruger, and they all go bang every time I pull the trigger...

Again, Thank you gentlemen for your help.

Bill

Your not going to yell at me again are you Ray Ray?

P7M8 THAT is a very nice pistol!!! One of the best CCW pistols ever IMO.

Of course not, I still want to shot your Kris Vector some day so I wanna stay on your good side!

It's doubly nice for us lefties because it is one of the few 100% ambidextrous pistols ever made.

It's doubly nice for us lefties because it is one of the few 100% ambidextrous pistols ever made.

XD and SR9 are too. ambi mag releases on both and an ambi frame safety on the SR9.

I have no experience with Rugers but Sig P series is probably one of the most reliable and accurate semi autos out there. Like someone here have mentioned, newer Sigs are not on par with the old ones made in Germany or West Germany.

The older guns had folded/stamped carbon slides and the newer ones have milled stainless slides. Newer guns also has MIM parts where as the old guns have forged parts. I'd get a slightly used or NIB old gun made in Germany or West Germany. Look for the ones with a proof mark underneath the slide by the muzzle. It's a two digit code. Guns made and assembled in Germany all had these proof marks and are of the highest quality.

A-0

B-1

C-2

D-3

E-4

F-5

G-6

H-7

J-8

K-9

You can find the two digit date code under the muzzle. These onply

apply to the German proof marked guns. Newer US assembled Sigs do not

have the date code on them.

I have a KC dated 226 made in West Germany and proofed in 92. One of the finest pistols ever made IMHO.

A good place to find used or NIB older guns is on www.sigforum.com.

Sig 220 without a doubt. I have owned quite a few handguns over the years, and my West German Sig 220 has been the most reliable gun PERIOD. If you purchase a used Sig, you might consider replacing the springs and picking up a new mag or two, but then you should be good to go. After all these years, its the Sig 220 I use for home defense.

- RELIABLE

- UTTERLY SIMPLE TO TAKE APART/CLEAN

- ACCURATE

220 hands down