Maksim

$15k for a real russian SVD?

So would everyone else out there.

I have seen then range from 8k-13k in excellent condition.

This one is a bit on the high side compared the others over the last 18 months.

i really want to know how many there are out there.... really.

If 100 were imported, how much were bring overs. If you are seeing quite a few of them over the last 18 months.... I am guessing a bit more than 100.

Ie... i have seen more dragunov's than Super Veprs.

on the akforum a member was selling one for $13k or best offer.

There are couple people(here in NJ) that have one and bring them to the range( South Jersey shooting club). Of course in that range people own few Vepr's, NDM-86's, original P/U sniper's, and all kind crazy stuff. Funny story: the first time(Last year) i visit the range, a guy was selling an Tokarev rifle(SVT) for $400. I was just start getting to buying firearms so i didnt buy cause i didnt have any other rifle that shoot 7.62x54r ( i was buying sks's and AR's). I still regret it for not getting that rifle.

Defiantly more then 100 legally imported i would think at least 5-10x more then that.

There were 2 at the last Vally Forge show both around 13,500 from the same vendor.

As far as bring back's I guess they would have to be from Nam, which I

have never seen. Common rifles like SKS's and AK's are rare for true bring backs

from Nam and were way more abundant they fetch a premium if they have proof.

i visit the range, a guy was selling an Tokarev rifle(SVT) for $400. I was just start getting to buying firearms so i didnt buy cause i didnt have any other rifle that shoot 7.62x54r ( i was buying sks's and AR's). I still regret it for not getting that rifle.

I have been looking for one for the last year or so.

I think I am going to have to give in and go the $600.00-$800.00 route.

Sarco had one last December, it was a poor excuse and it was $550.00 so I passed.

What really ticks me off is the Tigr can't/won't be imported anymore. After the treaty Clinton made with Russia, Izhmash was able to get around the it to import AKs as Saigas. The old version of the Tigr came over with the proper SVD stock, there is also a variation with a traditional style, I'm not sure if they can't or won't import it, but this thing is basically two screws away from being an SVD.

What really ticks me off is the Tigr can't/won't be imported anymore. After the treaty Clinton made with Russia, Izhmash was able to get around the it to import AKs as Saigas. The old version of the Tigr came over with the proper SVD stock, there is also a variation with a traditional style, I'm not sure if they can't or won't import it, but this thing is basically two screws away from being an SVD.

The tigr is a short barreled SVD.

$2 to $3k and it is yours. But as much as I want it, it aint that great of a gun. Its all about the bling factor.

A basic AR with a White Oak match upper will outshoot any Dragunov.

quite honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if my Vepr will outshoot one in a 308. People are on crack paying that much for them, unless you are a collector.

If not for the ban, it would take me 1 phone call to russia/ukraine to get them here on the next boat.

They are dime a dozen in russia.

Yeah, that's what I figure. The cheapest I've ever seen a Tigr was $2400 I think. Way too much for that. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a stock Saiga and if the Tigr was maybe $800 tops I'd have one. As for AR's I can't stand em' :-p I like the commie guns. I have a 5.45 and a 7.62x39, I guess I'm waiting on a cheap Tigr (and a supermodel girlfriend) or hell even if they'll crack and bring over a Saiga in x54r (also a when pigs fly kinda thing) or maybe I'll just crack and get a PSL or something to round off the collection.

And I know exactly what you mean about the price adjustment due to laws. If it weren't for the import laws this shit would be here for peanuts by the crate load.

quite honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if my Vepr will outshoot one in a 308. People are on crack paying that much for them, unless you are a collector.

If not for the ban, it would take me 1 phone call to russia/ukraine to get them here on the next boat.

i was just about to ask you something along the same lines.... in an attempt to build an everything gun i threw together a DPMS in 308.. thinking.. long range.. accuracy.. AND semi auto.. how can a rifle built on the AK platform be considered a "sniper rifle" are they really even that accurate? like.. converted Saiga in 308 VS dragunov VS 308 AR... like how do they all stack up against?

Who the hell knows. The dragunov is used as a sniper in russia, but if shooting at a man sized target, even 1 moa is good enough.

I havent seen a tigr/dragunov svd/ndm-86 myself in person to play with. The ones on the internet... I think are worthless because most of them are shooting surplus crap anyway.

The closest experience I have to it is with my Vepr, built on the RPK receiver and with regular ammo, 223 pmc it was about 1moa. Loading some up now to take out to the range to see if it can get sub moa, which I feel it can once you find the right load.

the Romak's I would love to shoot with hand loads, granted the romak/psl is a wasr with a bigger barrel chambered in 7.62x54r.

granted, the dragunovs are different, but a PSL is basically what it is below.

ak_receiver_comparison.jpg

Who the hell knows. The dragunov is used as a sniper in russia, but if shooting at a man sized target, even 1 moa is good enough.

I havent seen a tigr/dragunov svd/ndm-86 myself in person to play with. The ones on the internet... I think are worthless because most of them are shooting surplus crap anyway.

The closest experience I have to it is with my Vepr, built on the RPK receiver and with regular ammo, 223 pmc it was about 1moa. Loading some up now to take out to the range to see if it can get sub moa, which I feel it can once you find the right load.

the Romak's I would love to shoot with hand loads, granted the romak/psl is a wasr with a bigger barrel chambered in 7.62x54r.

granted, the dragunovs are different, but a PSL is basically what it is below.

ak_receiver_comparison.jpg

i just wonder because i really toyed around with building an AK platform long range shooter before i decided to take the AR route.. i really LOVE my Saiga.. but i just went with the AR due to the supposed accuracy advantage over the AK platform.. skipped the bolt gun all together due to wanting semi-auto.. guess ill see when i finally get out to the range..

i was just about to ask you something along the same lines.... in an attempt to build an everything gun i threw together a DPMS in 308.. thinking.. long range.. accuracy.. AND semi auto.. how can a rifle built on the AK platform be considered a "sniper rifle" are they really even that accurate? like.. converted Saiga in 308 VS dragunov VS 308 AR... like how do they all stack up against?

The Dragunov SVD/Tigr are not AK's. The weapon is based on an entirely different action and gas system. It's not just a long barreled AK. The appearance makes it look like one, with the dust cover, big safety lever, etc. but "under the hood" it's different than an AK, built on an entirely different family of receivers from the ground up. It was designed by a totally different guy, his last name was Dragunov (Russian guns, Kalashnikov, Simonov, Dragunov, Tokarev, etc. are named after their creators)

Those match quality AR's are designed for match grade accuracy. The SVD is called a "sniper rifle" these days, probably based on appearance, not to mention it's a "sniper rifle" in the video games. But the gun is not, and was not, a "sniper rifle" it's intended and designed as a Designated Marksman Rifle meant to increase the range of infantry fire in a unit of guys with AKs. As far as performance? It does its job well if it lasted that many years in the Soviet army, it's performance would be to hit a man's torso at 600+ yards. It's simply a totally different gun, for a totally different purpose, than a match grade AR that was designed from the ground up for superb target shooting.

Except a romak is an AK.

As far as why the rifle lasted that long in the russian army.... what other choice do they have. lol.

Although I will disagree, a match grade AR is by all means not a sniper rifle. A comparisson between an AR and a Dragunov is in order. Quite honestly, i think any AR will smoke any AK in accuracy. Obviously you can polish a turd, but whats the point.

As far as all around rifle, I like the high end AK's, which are accurized, but I have no doubts an AR with a varmint upper will be more accurate. For all around balance, I would either choose the Dragunov in the DMR space, for its all around versatility and most of all reliability, but if it came to having a tack driver.... AR it is.

My next AR will be a dmr option, with a 24 inch barrel, with a white oak upper.

I honestly wish it was a piston system, but alas. lol.

actually, now that i think of it. fuck the ak's. Sig 556 it is.

With the new trend of all the AR's in a gas/piston design, the reasons for going to an AK, at least in my eyes, are going down and down. Why bother with an AK when you can get a Hk 416, a rob arms XCR, a Sig 556, Fn Scar which are as reliable, more modular, and a hell of a lot more readily avail with ammo in the SHTF situations. it is for that reason, the sig 556 for me is the go to rifle. the only saving grace for the vepr... it is in a 223 and for now my dmr. =P

If I had any other AK, it would be collecting dust. the only russian battle rifle i would go for is a Vepr in a 308, or a a real dragunov if it could be had for cheap.

I just quite honestly dont see the point of a dragunov anymore.

You can get as reliable of a rifle now. You can get one more accurate. And it is alot cheaper.

Lets be honest, Dragunov/ndm-86/tigr are expensive right now for their collectible status. It is not an amazing rifle, and if the ban on imports is lifted, your $15k dragunov is now a $1500 nice russian DMR.

lol yep, well said

I think the AK will still have a place in years to come among the ACR/SCAR/XCR/etc. though. the AK's are still had for 1/3 or 1/4 the price of those rifles. 7.62x39 is still dirt cheap commercially, and packs a good punch (personally I find it a more useful 25-200 round than the .223) so if someone's looking for something to make man sized groups at 25-200 yards on the low budget, it's definitely gonna make people happy still. Not to mention if I feel like modding/fixing it I can do shit to it in the garage that would make me cry if I did it to a SCAR rofl)

Though cutting edge technology, certainly not. But come to think of it, ever since its inception, it was never the most elite rifle out there. But, it took the beating of a lifetime, went bang every time, did nasty things to light cover and cost peanuts to make so it ended up in every communist/rebel group the world over.

And yeah, at current price I wouldn't even consider buying some shit like a Tigr for $3k and certainly no SVD for $15k. Hell, my car isn't worth half that much! LOL damn I'd love to fill the third spot in my rifle collection though but I have a feeling that won't happen anytime soon (or ever lol).

thanks for all the additional great information in this thread.. it made for a good read..