Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Chronograph for shooting.

Maks, Chrony is one of the most valuable pieces of equipment I have. Really tells a story. If you want stuff measured give me a shout. I have a basic unit so you have to record each shot yourself and do the averages and standard deviations manually. One thing is you need a cheap tripod, and the chrono mounts right to that.

Any issues setting it up at a range?

First off, you can't really successfully reload without a chrono. You are just missing one of the most important pieces of reloading data.

You need a range where you can go back and forth over the firing line multiple times. You setup the tripod/chrono 6-10' from the firing line, line it up with your eyes, go back, look through the scope/sights, perhaps do it again, shoot a round, need to adjust so you have to touch the chrono again, etc. And then, after 5 shots, you probably want to read through the numbers, etc. Hard to do if you have to wait to cross the firing line...

Doing this at a range with serious "line disciple" (eg, Cherry Ridge) will be difficult. Doing it at a range which is safe but has freer rules (eg, Monmouth County, perhaps Ft Dix) is easier.

Doing this at a range with serious "line disciple" (eg, Cherry Ridge) will be difficult. Doing it at a range which is safe but has freer rules (eg, Monmouth County, perhaps Ft Dix) is easier.

I've seen guys have them set up at 100 at CR. One guy put his gun on his Rock BR locked it down then put a dowel down the barrel and then set up the crono during a line change. The readout box was on a tether that sat on the bench. It seemed like a lot of effort, so yeah, shooting at a "looser" range would be easier.

I've seen guys have them set up at 100 at CR. One guy put his gun on his Rock BR locked it down then put a dowel down the barrel and then set up the crono during a line change. The readout box was on a tether that sat on the bench. It seemed like a lot of effort, so yeah, shooting at a "looser" range would be easier.

You guys are TOTALLY over complicating this! I chrono pistol at CR all the time.

The Chrono has a 15 foot cord between the light sensor and the read out.

Put the read out on the bench an run your chrono out to the end of the cord.

When your out with the chrono and tripod look back at the bench to line it up.

Put your target out and you're set. The target is only a point of reference you don't even need it but it's nice.

Just REMEMBER shoot 2" high with a scoped rifle or you run the risk of buying a new chrono.

It's really rewarding to see your results. If I can do this at CR you can do it at almost any outdoor range.