1911Fan

AR 15 fore grip recommendations

Before I start listing anything, to what effect are you going to be utilizing the foregrip? Everyone has their own style of shooting, and I'm not the type to judge... but gripping the foregrip in a broomstick fashion isn't really the best way to stabilize the gun when shooting. I always see people do it, and then complain that the system was too top heavy. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

There is a score of different types. The cheaper ones are mostly polymer and can be found for $20 (or less) by companies like CAA. GGG, Wilson Combat, and Tapco also make iterations that are priced in the $30's (if not less). Daniel Defense, Troy Industries, and Tango Down have pretty sturdy ones and quick detach ones (though the QD ones are usually in the $80+ range) that are priced in the $50-60's. And from there it gets even more expensive with companies like Larue, Bobro, etc.

Some other foregrips that are kind of different from the rest are the Grip Pod, KAC thumb brake, and Magpul AFG.

The Grip Pod has two different makes, one being polymer and the other a type of steel. The Grip Pod is a vertical foregrip that also works as a bipod.

The KAC thumb brake and Magpul AFG are closely similar in their function. They were created out of the shift in shooting techniques for those who use a foregrip as more of a hand brake (to have a consistent grip every time, but not gripping the foregrip like a broomstick). The AFG takes it a bit further as it establishes an actual different methodology of reactionary hand placement (the "Costa grip").

Magpul will be releasing their own vertical foregrips in the near future (no ETA). They will have two versions, one that attaches directly to rails, and the other that can be used in conjunction with stock AR handguards. The MSRP is suppose to be cheap (like all Magpul products), but high quality as well. Excluded because, well, its not out yet. *** Magpul has started shipping these, and they are indeed available by some retailers, AIM being one: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG412Blk (listed at $23)

ETA: Generally speaking, the quick detach foregrips are expensive, regardless of the manufacturer. A lot of people will agree that regardless of what you get, make sure that if it gets beat up it won't just rip off the gun. Likewise, there really is no need to spend 100+ on a foregrip either, IMO.

ETA again: Magpul has started shipping their new vertical foregrip, the "RVG."

Ben is the AR accessories expert. =P

I must say, I am starting to like the Angled fore grip. there is enough room to actually add a VFG as well. lol. humn, wonder what they say about doing both.

i will say, the gun is much more accurate, and easy to shoot in a controllable manner with the angled foregrip, however, the hand does get tired alot faster as opposed to holding the magwell.

Quickly chiming in...

I started as a magwell holder, and it's still one of my most stable ways to balance the rifle and fire tight rapid groups.

Switched to a CAA Stubby grip (short, kinda fat) which I used as an index/reference point for my pinky and ring finger. The rest of my fingers and thumb would be on the rails, index finger pointing at the target.

Now I rock a Magpul AFG and love it! (I keep it pretty close to the magwell anyway) I find it a very comfortable way to shoot fast strings, and it gives me the best of both worlds because for slower, longer range shots, its also a very stable position to shoot from.

I tend to switch between the AFG and the magwell depending on what/how I'm shooting.

:twocents-02cents:

Just saw this in the AIM newsletter:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=51

and from the gear sector site:

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/177/

Seems like a low cost version of the KAC finger/hand/whatever stop. My only exposure to Gear Sector has been their slings, which I think are great.