jermz1987

Thinking of using a 22lr for self defense?

Here is an older story about what a determined fighter can do with a 22lr. Its a really good read if your thinking of using a 22lr for self defense. Its long but worth the read.

Israeli Mossad .22 LRS

Written by Nick Jacobellis. Author Archive

I'd rather hit with a 22 then miss with a 50. With their minimal recoil a 22 is capable of putting more shots on target in less time. I've treated people shot with multiple calibers and pronounced the ones hit with buckshot. I have seen people continue to function with multiple 22 hits, but I've seen the same with people hit with 9's just not as often. I like my 357 mag with JHP's for home defence but when the shtf I'll use whatever it takes.

I would use my 15-22 for defense if I had to, but would go to the .45 or 9mm after the shotty if I needed a backup.

Right ...

I have two "world-class" shotguns, a bunch of pretty nice to very nice 22LR rifles, and a G23 in 40S&W. Ideally if I HAD TO ENGAGE an enemy in my home in an actual "tactical" home defense situation I'd blow him away with 00 buck. I'd feel absolutely fine using my G23 in .40 as well, and hopefully would have both on me.

15-22? If I had to i would definitely, and i'd probably go through 10-shot mag w/o hesitation. Rem 597? Same deal. Now my Bolt Action, Savage, Mark II 'sniper' rifle in .22LR? I'd shoot it at bad guy definitely but would NOT be anything but the last gun I picked from my "portfolio"

but hey, you do what you have to do, when you have to do it, no?

Damn sure ain't gonna say "Ohhhh bad guy you win I'd only have my .22 savage handy, plz help your self to my sheeeit, btw there's booze over --------> there!!"

:lol:

Generally, I agree on the principle that it boils down to whatever a person has and is proficient with-- whether that's a .22 or anything else. I do think there is room for argument regarding ballistics and everything involved with that discussion (because of the topic of lethality/stopping power).

However, as noted, if someone is proficient with it-- what does it ("it" being, say, ballistics) matter? Of course being proficient isn't just being able to make a flower group from a rest position, especially when discussing life-saving techniques.

For example, I'm not a sharp shooter by any means. However, I've trained with my home defense choice and become proficient enough to trust it (though I know that I still have many aspects to polish up/work on). And because my current proficiency limits me to understanding that I should focus on center-mass shots first in possible engagements, I know that a .22 most likely would not perform as needed. Because let's face it, if a situation escalates to the point where I've decided to even use my firearm-- my intentions are to use it in a matter of lethal force. Using a caliber who's lethality I would question, even slightly, would counter the whole reasoning of even using a firearm in a defensive posture.

Now, if someone is proficient and can justify that proficiency-- then by all means, it wouldn't matter what type of caliber or firearm that would be used. I just think its important to remember the different factors when employing a firearm in a defensive situation-- both equipment-wise and mentally.

penetration power---

Ok- I'm too cheap to get a $70 .22 trap for the basement. I can build one cheaper right? Off to Home depot for 2 sheets of High density fiberboard ($29) , get some screws (why but 50 when you can get 100 ($5.00)). add some sheet metal flashing to deflect bullets ($12), and some cheap foam insulation- just in case ($11). put it all together and shoot the RWS air rifle just to make sure nothing will penetrate- wrong. Grand total so far-$57.

Back to the depot for a roll of compressed blow in insulation to put inside backstop- $12. try the .22 with 5 shots. Through the insulation, through the backstop, into the cinder block wall, complete with nice holes. Back to the depot to return the insulation package with 5 holes- good group- but a suspicious look from the return clerk.

Better idea- use a few buckets of spackle to stop the bullets- 2 buckets at $12. works good for the first 10 shots, then the grouping is so tight the next shots go through to the cinder block foundation for another 10 holes. Can't return this bucket of leaking mess to the depot

Off to the Garden center for a large plastic bucket ($9) and some crushed granite, sand (4 bags at $4) . now I'm in for more than a new really nice trap would cost. Hump a few hundred pounds of crushed rock into the basement, fill the bucket, try to get it into position and it actually works.

Another good group and the bucket starts to tear, pouring sand into the basement.

The moral? I was really shocked at the power of a .22lr, both with light rounds and CCI minimags. They really penetrated. Now I get to spend 70 bucks for a real trap.