Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

bear protection

hey i am new to the sight and think it is great. i want to know if it is leagel to carry a pistol while fishing. i reguraly got trout fishing in notrh jersey and i run into bears quite often. i am wondering if i can carry a pistol to back up my bear mace. thanks in advance for your replys.

Adam

hey i am new to the sight and think it is great. i want to know if it is leagel to carry a pistol while fishing. i reguraly got trout fishing in notrh jersey and i run into bears quite often. i am wondering if i can carry a pistol to back up my bear mace. thanks in advance for your replys.

Adam

:lol:

:lol: Bring a fishing buddy,and make sure you can run faster than him. :lol:

welcome to the forum! :lol::lol:

Or just stab him in the leg. Knives are allowed.

Welcome to the group.

Adam

Welcome to the forum! To make it a short answer...No gun for you while trout fishing, period... Now if you're turkey hunting you can carry a fishing pole...

Get it?

I fish the Rockaway in Jefferson all the time and saw bear tracks in the mud on Tuesday. No biggy, they're not going to hurt you. It just hasn't happened yet. I had them in the yard today, just holler and wave your arms.

I've smoked 13 trout already this year. If you have any extra I'll make room in the smoker. :D

"To carry a firearm in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice, or fishing, provided that the firearm is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and the person possesses a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license."

This i why i thought i might have been able to carry i found this on the NRA's websight in the nj gun laws section thanks again guys.

i am wondering if i can carry a pistol to back up my bear mace. thanks in advance for your replys.

Adam

No carrying a pistol and no to carrying bear spray. The size of bear spray makes it illegal for a regular person to carry. I think the max size container legal to carry in NJ is one container of not more than 3/4 oz (NJS 2C:39-6i.).

The only way you can carry a firearm legally as I see it is to prove you use it to fish with?????????

"To carry a firearm in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice, or fishing, provided that the firearm is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and the person possesses a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license."

could he get a hunting license and carry a 12 gauge with slugs?

Wouldn't that only apply during the correct seasons, else get slapped with poaching charges.

Wouldn't that only apply during the correct seasons, else get slapped with poaching charges.

even if he is "practicing with a firearm that is reasonable to hunt with"?

dont see anything saying that he can NOT "target practice" AND fish at the same time..

dont see anything saying that he can NOT "target practice" AND fish at the same time..

The only problem I see with that is that you would then have to be fishing on the shoreline of property that you have permission to hunt on or be on public hunting land. Even then you better have the cash for a good lawyer, because I think your going to have to justify your actions in court.

In my opinion that's a case not worth fighting. To my knowledge no one in NJ has ever been attacked by a bear. Your better off just carrying that big can of bear mace as I believe that is only a max of $100 fine.

i.Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

In my opinion that's a case not worth fighting. To my knowledge no one in NJ has ever been attacked by a bear. Your better off just carrying that big can of bear mace as I believe that is only a max of $100 fine.

July, 2009

NEW JERSEY (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A man in New Jersey is recovering after being attacked by a bear in his driveway.

The man says he was packing his car for a business trip when out of nowhere, a 400 pound black bear took him down.

Henry Rouwendal says the bear was after a sandwich he had in his trunk.

"I kicked the bear in his snout like three or four times with my foot, and then I kicked it once in the throat, and then it took my sandwich and went in the back," said Rouwendal.

He suffered some cuts and bruises but is going to be okay. Rouwendal says the ironic thing is that he actually has a bear trap set in his yard, baited with bacon, but apparently this bear was a picky eater.

Oct 2009 - WALPACK -- A deer hunter shot a female bear last weekend with an arrow as the sow charged him, according to an account of the incident given to National Park Service officers called to the scene.

The hunter, whose name, age and hometown were not released, was not injured in the attack and fired a single arrow into the bear, officials said.

One unofficial account has the shot taken as the bear was about five paces from the hunter. The hunter then fended off the bear with the bow until the animal turned and ran off. It was found dead about 70 yards from the attack, officials said.

Deb Nordeen, a spokeswoman for the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, said park police and New Jersey Fish and Wildlife officers were called to the area of Walpack Ridge just after 3 p.m. Sunday. She said the hunter, who was part of a group of hunters, apparently got between the sow and one or more cubs and the hunter allegedly shot the bear when it charged him.

She said the park service turned the case over to the state, which said it was investigating the incident but declined to comment or offer any additional details. There was no indication from the state as to when the investigation would be completed.

An unofficial account of the incident sent in an e-mail to the New Jersey Herald from a citizen who described the incident, said the hunter was part of a group of hunters on a "drive," a technique where several people move through an area hoping to drive deer toward other members of the hunting party who have taken up stationary positions.

While black bears are classified as game animals, there is no legal season to hunt them in New Jersey. However, even with no season, it could be determined there was no violation of state regulations if the hunter was deemed to be acting in self-defense.

There's been others. No fatalities for quite some time as far as I know.

The only problem I see with that is that you would then have to be fishing on the shoreline of property that you have permission to hunt on or be on public hunting land. Even then you better have the cash for a good lawyer, because I think your going to have to justify your actions in court.

i.Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

;)

as far as justifying my actions in court.. "i was on public land practicing shooting my hunting shotgun.. when a big ass bear ran at me.."

I would just carry a knife...Get a big bowie knife.

;)

as far as justifying my actions in court.. "i was on public land practicing shooting my hunting shotgun.. when a big a** bear ran at me.."

lol, obviously I misread it the first time threw. Never the less I still don

I was not aware of these cases. Its funny I read he paper often and these stories dont ever seem to be in there.

At this point maybe I should just add a "work of fiction" disclaimer to my last post :lol: :doh:

as you can see.. you have a bow hunter.. who is LEGALLY using his bow.. to hunt in the woods.. and a bear got WAY too close.. he panicked and fired... they state if he acted in self defense he will likely not be charged.. so i furthe state.. if i am on land where it is reasonable to have a firearm such as target practicing in the woods.. and a bear shows up out of nowhere and you shoot it.. i find it unlikely you will be arrested and charged..

I was not aware of these cases. Its funny I read he paper often and these stories dont ever seem to be in there.

At this point maybe I should just add a "work of fiction" disclaimer to my last post :lol: :doh:

as you can see.. you have a bow hunter.. who is LEGALLY using his bow.. to hunt in the woods.. and a bear got WAY too close.. he panicked and fired... they state if he acted in self defense he will likely not be charged.. so i furthe state.. if i am on land where it is reasonable to have a firearm such as target practicing in the woods.. and a bear shows up out of nowhere and you shoot it.. i find it unlikely you will be arrested and charged..

I would agree, however no judge is going to believe that you where target practicing wearing waders and a vest :lol:

You just missed out i recently sold my 12GA ugly stick.. :lol::lol::lol:

I followed that case. The guy didn't panic. He waited till the bear was almost on top of him before he loosed the arrow. He then used the bow as a shield until the bear retreated and he ended up covered in bear blood. This was clearly a case of self defense. This attack occurred in Oct 09 and he was cleared by late November.

Yes, If a bear is on you, and you are in the woods, you need to be aware.

The worst is when they keep appearing, then disappearing...then reappearing again...you need to be aware that bears now just look at people...they dont run, the big ones dont run, the small ones do...

I hunt alot out on the back of Stokes, and Swartswood, and White Lake, and lots of bears 'pop' up.

best defense is if you see one, you yell at it, and raise your arms while speaking to the bear and backing away. You cant use that boom stick on the bear until the bear is a problem...if you do, then you will be fine under the law. The law is applied to people who are defending themselves, you cant panic. If a bear is coming towards you and the bear is pissed, best thing to do is step off the trail..steady the gun on a tree branch, and just watch him...if he charges, you should wait until he is really close...you are most likely going to get into some contact with the bear, as they dont just drop, but you should aim for a shoulder to break a leg this way the bear drops...

Carry bear spray, and carry a big knife with you as well. Be ready to use all on the bear if needed.

I can tell you that you most likely will not need to use any on a bear, as if you follow the first rule (make sure the bear is aware you are in the area) you will most likely never see a bear.

Just some hunting tips to keep you safe from the wild west of NJ...LOL

Respect the bear, but when the hunting season is on for them, shoot the bear...

.if he charges, you should wait until he is really close....

while having NEVER hunted i would say there is safety in distance.. and the idea of waiting till a charging 400lb animal is REAL close is not one I would really consider.. while I would NOT go out of my way to harm a car.. if one CHARGED me at all.. and I felt unsafe.. I would likely take the first shot at first site of charging.. in some of the shooting classes I have we did experiments to show how fast a HUMAN can close distance on you abruptly and well im going to error on the side of assuming a bear is going to be moving at LEAST as fast as a human..