Sign in to follow this  
Z71

no mv inspections

I just read a short piece @ infreehold...its says the dmv comm. along with transportation officicals are looking into ending mv inspections in nj by

july 1st.....emmissions testing would still be required........they say it will save

the state $12 mill.......

When i was younger my old beater car failed inspection 1 time for "toe play". When i asked the dmv attendant what that was she just replied "i don't know that's what you got." Hooray for people that know what they're talking about.

but you know what that means.... more 30 year old cars on the road with non working tail lights.

I dunno, after the cash for clunkers many cashed in on it..

not that many.... only those that were planning on getting new. surprisingly..... we, as taxpayers lost more money on that program that we would save on gas with new cars. lol.

but you know what that means.... more 30 year old cars on the road with non working tail lights.

I dunno, after the cash for clunkers many cashed in on it..

not that many.... only those that were planning on getting new. surprisingly..... we, as taxpayers lost more money on that program that we would save on gas with new cars. lol.

I would not doubt that at all, considering that program was shut down almost off the get go.

go to Florida, or any other state that doesnt require MV inspections, man there are some junk boxes on the road, bumbers hanging off, missing parts, lights, etc.. scary stuff..

good for us, but also bad for us...

They can still ticket you if your bumper is hanging off. I recall back in the 70s and 80s that you'd see a car abandoned or burned out every 5 miles on the highway. Not so much any more. I think it has more to do with the quality of vehicles these days than inspections.

--------

http://www.kyw1060.com/To-Save-Money--N ... pe/6928267

NJ to Scrap Auto Inspections in Budget Cutback

by KYW's Michelle Durham

The State of New Jersey plans to eliminate required automobile safety inspections, starting in July. The policy change is an effort by the cash-strapped state to save money.

Michael Horan, spokesman for the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, says the change would save the state $12 million, part of $40 million in cuts the MVC is making.

He says that state officials don't think that eliminating the mechanical inspections will pose an appreciable additional danger for drivers:

"We've taken the time to really look at this issue. (Other) states, educational institutions, even the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have all studied the impact of mechanical inspections. Every time they've studied it, the information has been inconclusive. There's never been a demonstration of reducing crashes, reducing fatalities."

In fact, Horan says, only six percent of the 1.9 million vehicles inspected each year are rejected for major safety issues such as brakes.

Twenty-nine other states do not require mechanical inspections. Horan stresses that the responsibility for maintaining a safe vehicle is the owner's. Vehicle owners could be ticketed by law enforcement if a mechanical default was a factor in an accident.

Emissions inspections will still be required under federal law.

Other changes planned for this summer include allowing new cars to go five years without an inspection instead of the current four (again to coincide with the federal emissions law), closing four MVC offices in the state, and changing operational hours at the rest. Offices would be closed Mondays but open for a full day on Saturday instead of a half day.

The changes do not require legislative approval but will require negotiations with a private vendor that operates the inspection stations across the state.

They can still ticket you if your bumper is hanging off. I recall back in the 70s and 80s that you'd see a car abandoned or burned out every 5 miles on the highway. Not so much any more. I think it has more to do with the quality of vehicles these days than inspections.

--------

correct, no more points and condensers. you can only gap and file them so many times with a match book. :lol::lol::lol:

My understanding is that they will eliminate the "safety" portion of the inspection and only do an emissions inspection. Many states eliminated safety inspections long ago. True, there are some junk boxes on the road, however, there are also some fairly new cars running around without headlights or taillights. Nothing in this revision would prevent the LEO from stopping someone and issuing them a ticket for a safety violation(s).

Oh boy is this a sore subject. On my beautiful day off instead of heading to the range, I got to spend 3 frikin hours in line at the Rahway inspection station. Watching them try to work the equipment was like watching a monkey screw a doorknob. After waiting in line it took them 30 minutes to hook up the OBD to get my car to tell them everything is fine.

NJ spending at its finest

This is not a bad idea. The state would save money just doing emissions testing (which I think is required for Fed highway money I believe). The vast majority of people are somewhat diligent in maintaining their vehicles. I don't think this is going to create a "safety" problem. I've lived in states that only had emissions testing and didn't think the roads were less safe.