Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

Need a Method..

I'm not a nutritionist, dated one though, but it seems like how much you eat is the basic fundamental to losing weight. Of course there is a difference between eating a balanced 1500 calories and 1500 calories of red meat and sugar-- but those usually have other effects which can digress the process of losing weight. Generally speaking, its in the calories themselves.

So, cutting back on calories, getting in some exercise (20min of cardio a day is fine, and lifting is the quickest way to slim down), good sleeping pattern, and reducing stress-- I'd say in that order.

Don't eat meals, spread it out through 5 eatings through out the day

Jogging and walking will help

Heavy lifting will add muscle will burn fat but you technically won't lost weight when you stand on a scale

cardio is your friend, get on a bike, take up rowing, take up running, do hiking etc

Started with the zone diet and moved to South Beach because the recipes were tastier.

The best thing about the Zone diet was the concept behind the low carb diet rather than the specific regimen, which has been under fire for lack of vitamins and other essentials. Now I eat "zone like."

Diet AND exercise is key. Recent studies have found that exercise without changing your diet habits has little effect.

I did many many things to get back in shape and eventually get to within 1 point of the Army Physical Fitness Badge.

1. Cook my own food with an eye on reduced portion size.

2. Read the Zone Diet for basic good concepts. Seriously, it will change the way you think of food for the better, however most people say that it is impossible to stick to it as a strict regimen.

3. CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!! The best thing about starting with cardio is that after a while it gives you more energy to work out.

4. weight training. Weight training is thought to continue burning calories after you stop lifting. There is some doubt, but it is still mostly thought to be true.

5. GET A TRAINER. You might think you are exercising enough, only an impartial eye will keep you from cheating yourself.

lastly, the most important thing to rememnber is that losing weight is a change in lifesyle that should last your entire life. All the quick fixes are easily undone.

One thing that I told my overweight soldiers is that if you lost 2 pounds a month for a year that would be 24 pounds. Imagine if you lost a pound a week.

Think in terms of a year and your weight loss will be healthy and ultimately more maintainable throughout your life.

Eat right and exercise, more calories out than in. Sounds simply but its the truth! Personally, I dont keep junk food in the house and try to eat chicken / turkey / vegetables for lunch and dinner (no sauces or anything), whole grain cereal and fruit salad for breakfast. I try to stay away from red meat and eggs because I have high cholesterol (genetics, i'm in good shape, 6' and 180 pounds but my cholesterol is 207! get checked!). I try to get to the gym at least 3 times a week during which I do about 45 minutes of lifting and 10 - 15 minutes of biking or running. It doesn't have to be as structures as mine, all you need to do is do some research, eat well and exercise when you can, try to stay away from processed foods and you should be good to go! (Disclaimed: I cheated and ate Wendys last night while waiting for my NICs check at Dicks!)

Took the word DIET out of my vocabulary ....

Calories eaten vs. Calories burned

Have lost 33lbs since November.

Increased H20 intake

Make better choices on what I eat

Take 1/2 meal home from restaurants

"Think like a skinny person when deciding if and what to eat"

Walk 3 miles at least 3 nights a week

Don't eat meals, spread it out through 5 eatings through out the day

Jogging and walking will help

Heavy lifting will add muscle will burn fat but you technically won't lost weight when you stand on a scale

cardio is your friend, get on a bike, take up rowing, take up running, do hiking etc

+1 (Lose fat not weight)

For those looking to loose body fat you will need both an exercise program and a healthy diet. Exercise programs should include both cardio and weight training. Cardio in the morning 1 hour before breakfast will help keep your metabolism raised for the day and 5-6 small meals are better then the normal 3. A good motivator is to paste a picture of yourself wearing just a pair of shorts on the refrigerator door and replace it with a new picture every 6 weeks. In the beginning the picture will help deter you from over eating and as you progress the picture will keep you motivated to continue your program. Throw away the scale and go by the way you look and feel. Your goal should be to loose 1 to 1.5 lbs. a week (52 to 78 lbs. in a year) any more then that and your body will go into starvation mode and store the fat and use muscle as fuel since muscle burns more calories. Take small steps in the beginning and don

how do you control binge eating or scheduled eating, like when I get home from working 8 hours, I find myself eating a lot, should I take something to work with me everyday?

how do you control binge eating or scheduled eating, like when I get home from working 8 hours, I find myself eating a lot, should I take something to work with me everyday?

Its ok to eat alot as long as what you are eating is healthy! Dont down an entire box of girl scout cookies, for example. Get rid of any and all junk food in the house, that will cause you to not overeat because you wont be "loving" what you're eating as much.

Self control, you have to want to lose fat. Plan your meals, so when you get home from work your not standing in front of the fridge eating everything you see. Bring healthy snacks, homemade protein drinks to work with you. As you start to lose fat and gain muscle you will need to increase calories to maintain the new muscle. This won't happen overnight but within 4-6 weeks you will start to feel and see the changes.

Requires changing your habits. Do something different and avoid the fridge/pantry.

As simple as this sounds... for me I just COMPLETELY changed my life.. about 4 years ago I weighed a little OVER 300lbs.... i obviously ate poorly and did minimal activity... Tried diets here and there, but the problem was a diet is generally something you do for a length of time.. This is why it NEVER worked.. What I ultimately did was completely change my life.. I swapped out ALL sugary unhealthy drinks for water.. and completely removed ANYTHING fast food in nature... Then I picked up a gym membership AND started taking martial arts.. now I weigh a hair over 200lbs.. SO doing the math I lost approximately 100lbs.. again.. nothing but food intake adjustment and increase in exercise.. simple as that.. no fancy trainer.. no pills or supplements.. no surgery.. just work.. the upside to that method is it is a complete life change, meaning there is no "end point" to some "program"...

you take in food during the day..

and burn it off with activity..

the accumulation of weight past the point where you are comfortable is a byproduct of ingesting more food than is needed...

to reduce excess weight you must reduce calorie intake AND/OR increase activity..

then just find a balance of food and activity that works best for you..

it is really that simple IMO

good luck with it..

This is one of the most lasting things I got from the Zone diet: Each meal should have enough protein to keep you sated for 5 hours.

You create meals and through tweaking the amounts and monitoring when you feel hungry again you can tell if you have the right amount. If a meal leaves you hungry after 3 hours you note it and make an adjustment.

Plus, if you end up with hunger after three hours you need to have the proper food on hand to bring you the next 2 hours, not just whatever food is nearby.

Now again, I am fully on the eat right and exercise bandwagon and I agree with those that say diet is a bad word. BUT, I still heartily reccomend checking out the Zone Diet book from a library just to get the lowdown on how a diet works and why everything you think you know about food is wrong, especially if you follow the govt. guidlines.

Once you get the jist of why a low carb diet works ( and they do, they just take out too many nutrients to be called healthy) you can adjust what you eat at a glance, without all the calorie counting.

This is one of the most lasting things I got from the Zone diet: Each meal should have enough protein to keep you sated for 5 hours.

You create meals and through tweaking the amounts and monitoring when you feel hungry again you can tell if you have the right amount. If a meal leaves you hungry after 3 hours you note it and make an adjustment.

Plus, if you end up with hunger after three hours you need to have the proper food on hand to bring you the next 2 hours, not just whatever food is nearby.

Now again, I am fully on the eat right and exercise bandwagon and I agree with those that say diet is a bad word. BUT, I still heartily reccomend checking out the Zone Diet book from a library just to get the lowdown on how a diet works and why everything you think you know about food is wrong, especially if you follow the govt. guidlines.

Once you get the jist of why a low carb diet works ( and they do, they just take out too many nutrients to be called healthy) you can ajust what you eat at a glance, without all the calorie counting.

i just don't normally get hungry till later in the day.. so in the beginning i literally had to force myself to eat in the morning.. if you don't really get hungry in the morning make yourself a protein shake they are a great start to the day and will act as a meal.. BUT are generally easy to drink (over eating some big meal).. I do drink them from time to time.. sometimes in spurts..

Yea, I was going to suggest the Body for Life program myself. My unit actually made it a part of the SOP, and everyone really enjoyed it. The program takes a lot of work and dedication (as does any program), but the results can be quite astonishing.

i'll look into that book, another problem i've been having since I quit smoking on Tuesday is that food is taking place of the Cigarettes. And I am rewarding myself with food instead of a smoke.

Man I hate this.. Went and worked off some calories cutting the grass and doing some running around, and then I reward myself with a large plain pizza, :lol:

i'll look into that book, another problem i've been having since I quit smoking on Tuesday is that food is taking place of the Cigarettes. And I am rewarding myself with food instead of a smoke.

Man I hate this.. Went and worked off some calories cutting the grass and doing some running around, and then I reward myself with a large plain pizza, :lol:

You have to find another substitute besides food. An oral fixation (as the physical addiction of smoking is) is difficult to break. You can try chewing gum to take the place of smokes.

You're really talking about changing your habits for life. What are you willing to change and how much of a change are you willing to permanently make?

Make sure you eat breakfast so you don't get that starving feeling and eat slowly. People are full before they realize it. I also keep a box of granola bars and water in the car. When I'm driving home I have one if hungry and drink the water, this way you aren't gorging yourself at diner.

But the main thing is to burn off more then you take in. Find something you like to do, walk, bike, run, skate. If you are near a beach walking in sand is a great workout and the sights can occupy the mind.

Jimmy

djg0770 is correct, it is life changing. You are trying to change everything at one time which wont be easy but you can do it. Starting an exercise program, changing your eating habits, and quiting smoking are 3 of the hardest task you will have to force yourself to do. Take small steps and don't beat yourself up if you slip now and then it happens. Throw out all the junk food and the scale, make short term goals and go by how you feel and look in the mirror. Don't give up because you eat a pizza just get back on target.

waterboy_2.jpg