Scrap

Is it possible to have a barrel shortened?

Is it possible to have a barrel reduced in length?

If so, how/where/how much do you think this is done/at what cost/where/ etc?

I am quite interested in this.

(Unless someone knows someone who makes custom barrels? At a decent price?)

Thanks

Yes, you can have a shotgun legally shortened in NJ to a minimum length of 18" with an overall length of 26" (I think). Most people stick to 18.5" as a minimum barrel length. Any competent gunsmith can do this.

Yes, you can have a shotgun legally shortened in NJ to a minimum length of 18" with an overall length of 26" (I think). Most people stick to 18.5" as a minimum barrel length. Any competent gunsmith can do this.

The 18" barrel length is required but the overall length of 26" doesn't apply to pump shotguns correct? Only for semi-auto shotguns?

I may be wrong..

The 18" barrel length is required but the overall length of 26" doesn't apply to pump shotguns correct? Only for semi-auto shotguns?

I may be wrong..

Its a federal law. Applies to all shotguns.

I used a copper tubing cutter when I cut my barrel down. But that was of course a non-ribbed barrel.

sawedoff003.jpg

Yes, I did it on a cheap 100 dollar shotgun and it came out just fine. used a pipe cutter. done in 10 seconds. I would recommend using a dowel to measure out exactly what you want then add some extra to give yourself some room for error. PM if you want some pics of the before and after. I would post them here but as Lunker already stated, I have Hammer Heads circling me in another thread and posting these pics will only drop more blood into the water.

Best that you leave an extra 1/2" or so in case you ding the muzzle there is a little bit you can cut off.

Whilst (like that word don't get to use it much) you can cut a shotgun barrel down with a tubing cutter be very judicious in its use. Many wind up putting the equivalent of a full choke as they are in a hurry to get it done. Lightly score, 1/8 of a twist down do it again.