Sign in to follow this  
Guest *_*

Is it just me or is 1911 the most accurate handgun?

I dunno if a 1911 is more accurate out of the box than anything else, I agree with those that say its the single action trigger, it certainly helps those of us who have trigger squeeze issues. But those itty-bitty sights on the GI models are tough on aging eyes... :lol:

I didn't read thru all the replies, so my apologies if this was covered already.

I have a hard time believing that any pistol is more accurate than another. I think its simply the user using it. One person can shoot accurately with a glock, while another shooter, using the same gun is not accurate. I think its all about "fit".

I'm no expert, just my feeling on the issue.

I didn't read thru all the replies, so my apologies if this was covered already.

I have a hard time believing that any pistol is more accurate than another. I think its simply the user using it. One person can shoot accurately with a glock, while another shooter, using the same gun is not accurate. I think its all about "fit".

Thanks for sharing :D

It is a combination of several factors, including what platform a shooter is more comfortable with. There is a size factor as well as an ergonomic factor to consider.

Then there is the reliability of the accuracy of the gun, some of which is better than others on a consistent basis due to overall design. For example, a Beretta 92 is known to be more accurate (as well as other things) than it's Taurus counterpart in 9mm.

Then there other, less predictable examples like the G26, which despite their small size are known to shoot as accurately as their full sized counterparts. The reason for this has been attributed to a couple things, but none with any base in fact. As stated by the respected Massad Ayoob, the design of the slide is suspected. But no one really knows why they shoot so well in that regard compared to other similar sized pistols.

Then there is the round itself. They do preform differently at different ranges in different length barrels.

this exactly how I feel. I'm a big 1911 fan and they're fun and challenging to shoot. However, I used to own a vietnam-war surplus s&w model 10 with a 5 inch barrel that i can shoot more accurately (single or double action). too bad I let that one go. :(

its all in the head.

the first time i took out my glock 23, it was one large ragged hole. the second time I shot it, it was all over the map. Same ammo.

Smith Wesson 1911 Pro Series. Almost always one ragged hole, and anyone that picks it up, shoots very well with it. When the groups open up, I have to make sure to take a moment and concentrate on technique.

Same with HkP30l.

the toughest part is actually getting used to the different sight pictures for each handgun.

its all in the head.

So then when discussing accuracy you are stating that there is essentially no relevance to things like caliber choice, barrel length, grip configuration, manufacturer, etc?

The old adage applies...'its never the gun, always the shooter'

its all in the head.

So then when discussing accuracy you are stating that there is essentially no relevance to things like caliber choice, barrel length, grip configuration, manufacturer, etc?

The old adage applies...'its never the gun, always the shooter'

Without getting into the technical aspects of this, I will say that if we are discussing shooting at 10-25 yards then anything that reliably cycles ammo while resting comfortably in your hand is adequate so long as it "fits". Pretty sure this is what some are stating without actually stating it for whatever reason.

However, a novice shooter may read such posts and then think he can buy any brand firearm in any caliber with any length barrel and should expect premium accuracy results so long as the comfort level is there.

Essentially stating "whatever works for you" isn't really telling the full story.

Without getting into the technical aspects of this, I will say that if we are discussing shooting at 10-25 yards then anything that reliably cycles ammo while resting comfortably in your hand is adequate so long as it "fits". Pretty sure this is what some are stating without actually stating it for whatever reason.

However, a novice shooter may read such posts and then think he can buy any brand firearm in any caliber with any length barrel and should expect premium accuracy results so long as the comfort level is there.

Essentially stating "whatever works for you" isn't really telling the full story.

All novice shooters should do their homework like when making any purchase.

I dont think saying an Infiniti is a fast car will make more people buy them.

So its not about saying whatever works for you, its about a question from an experienced pistol shooter, to others who are familiar with what I am asking here, nothing more, nothing less.

Based on the replies, I see I am not alone in my thinking.

Any novice shooter who reads a post, then goes and buys a big ass 5in 1911, then is upset afterwards is a dumbass...in my opinion...DUH..

So its not about saying whatever works for you, its about a question from an experienced pistol shooter, to others who are familiar with what I am asking here, nothing more, nothing less.

Any novice shooter who reads a post, then goes and buys a big a** 5in 1911, then is upset afterwards is a dumbass...in my opinion...DUH..

I fully understand where you are coming from and I have heard other's who also feel the same way about their 1911's. I used to have a 1911 Colt myself years ago which I loved to shoot. While many balk at the size and ergos, I always found mine to be a natural pointer and I also shot well with it.

My humble point, which perhaps I described poorly, was that in conjunction with an individuals comfort and ability shoot a certain pistol (or any firearm), there are still other factors that influence a weapons true accuracy.

I like the fact that with a 1911, you can bash the brains in of any zombie should you run out of ammo. Something about plastic guns that just doesnt seem right..i'll still end up owning one anyway.

Any novice shooter who reads a post, then goes and buys a big a** 5in 1911, then is upset afterwards is a dumbass...in my opinion...DUH..

I fully understand where you are coming from and I have heard other's who also feel the same way about their 1911's. I used to have a 1911 Colt myself years ago which I loved to shoot. While many balk at the size and ergos, I always found mine to be a natural pointer and I also shot well with it.

My humble point, which perhaps I described poorly, was that in conjunction with an individuals comfort and ability shoot a certain pistol (or any firearm), there are still other factors that influence a weapons true accuracy.

I still love you as my brother...LOL