Bob B

Forced to Provide SSN

Specifically, it was a block on the written exam that had to be filled in or the education card would not be provided.

I believe, though I cannot find the information online supporting such, that this is required because they will not issue you a Hunting License if you have not paid child support...

I don't know why people get so miffed over this, or providing a phone number? Just make on up, they are probably not going to be able to check or cross reference it anyway? When I was working in retail and had to do a return, our system required a phone number and some people would get all mad and refused. Sometimes I would tell them "No number-No return", other times I would just tell them to make up a number, depending on my mood. :lol:

I did this years ago after 9/11

I would go to LGA airport for work at US Airways. I would have to go to security (all immagrints and all arab and spanish, of which, half spoke no english). Somebody came up with teh bright idea that we needed to provide a SSN everytime I was to go to the airport and had to be done the day before. So I would have to give the immigrant security workers my ssn, they would send it to TSA and so on...

I never provided my reall ssn and would make one up. Funny thing is 100 times I was there, always a different #. They didn't even pick up that I used a different # everytime I was there because I would forget to write down the one I used previously!

Specifically, it was a block on the written exam that had to be filled in or the education card would not be provided.

I believe, though I cannot find the information online supporting such, that this is required because they will not issue you a Hunting License if you have not paid child support...

That is correct, same with a NJ fishing license.

strange part - all social security cards used to state " not valid for id purposes - social security purposes only " - the newer or reissued cards do not have this disclaimer on them -

After doing some research, I found that it is required by NJ State law to provide your SSN prior to being issued any hunting/fishing license/permit. This is so they can do a Child Support Services check to find out if you owe any child support prior. This is an anual requirement.

I found no requirement to provide your SSN at the time you take the written test at the Hunter's Ed. course. Your SSN is collected either on line, or at the licensing agent (usually a sporting goods store).

There is a statement that is required by law that must be on any form that states what the SSN is being collected for and under what authority. This statement was not on the test.

I called the Hunter's Ed office and told them (politely of course) of being forced to provide my SSN again. He agreed that it was not mandatory on the test and would speak to his personnel about it. He also stated that they will look into redesigning the form to remove the SSN block. I made a point of telling him that I thought the course was terrific and I got a lot out of it -- no complaints about the course or the personnel, only the SSN issue.

Hopefully, they will stop the practice.