Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

Florida residents-'We all have guns in our house'

It's so sad when people from small towns have to lock their doors. When I was stationed in the south no one ever locked their doors, never mind their cars. Even growing up in Brooklyn, most of my neighbors doors were unlocked. Everyone felt comfortable walking the streets at night. I think it all comes down to respect for people and their property. Guess getting my a$$ spanked when I did something wrong wasn't so bad.... Made you think twice.

Heh, I was born (1980) and raised in Jupiter, FL. I left in 1998 to go to college. I watched the place grow. The main street (Indiantown Road) went from 2 lanes to 6, condos sprouted up along the beach and palm trees replaced native vegetation. By the time I left, I hated everything within 5 miles of the coast.

Jupiter Farms started about 15 miles inland and was the last vestige of real south FL. A working-class family could buy 5 acres, build a modest house and own a couple horses (it was VERY common for horses/riders to be out on the roads, trail riding), go swimming/fishing in the pond on their property and be about a 10-15 minute drive from prime hunting grounds.

The term "housing association" coming from Jupiter Farms shocks me, though. This is probably one of those gentrified, "yuppie-farms" that started springing up shortly before I left, because if a real native had seen burglars coming up the driveway, there would have been shots fired, the bodies would be burned/buried and it would never have made the papers. The neighbors wouldn't have batted an eye, and would most likely have helped clean up the "mess." But the robberies would have mysteriously stopped.

Heh, I was born (1980) and raised in Jupiter, FL. I left in 1998 to go to college. I watched the place grow. The main street (Indiantown Road) went from 2 lanes to 6, condos sprouted up along the beach and palm trees replaced native vegetation. By the time I left, I hated everything within 5 miles of the coast.

Jupiter Farms started about 15 miles inland and was the last vestige of real south FL. A working-class family could buy 5 acres, build a modest house and own a couple horses (it was VERY common for horses/riders to be out on the roads, trail riding), go swimming/fishing in the pond on their property and be about a 10-15 minute drive from prime hunting grounds.

The term "housing association" coming from Jupiter Farms shocks me, though. This is probably one of those gentrified, "yuppie-farms" that started springing up shortly before I left, because if a real native had seen burglars coming up the driveway, there would have been shots fired, the bodies would be burned/buried and it would never have made the papers. The neighbors wouldn't have batted an eye, and would most likely have helped clean up the "mess." But the robberies would have mysteriously stopped.

Don

I miss the old Jupiter.

When I was in highschool ('94-'98), I used to ride my bike about 5 miles to the beach every Saturday and Sunday morning to go surfing. We also had a 15.5 foot center console fishing boat that I would take out with my buddies to go skiing/wakeboarding, fishing or hang out at the sandbar in the Loxahatchee River when there were no waves.

I'm a pretty big environmental supporter, so when all those condos and non-native palm trees sprouted up (brought to you by NY and NJ retirees), I was heart-broken and realized that Jupiter had changed forever, and it was no longer "my Jupiter." So, in a way, I do miss Jupiter, but it's time (and damn yankees) that has separated me from my home town, not distance.

Even Jupiter Farms is invaded by northerners and yuppies, as evidenced by the housing association meeting. Back when The Farms were really The Farms, a housing association meeting meant having a hog-pit-roast with all your friends and neighbors and you planned how to stop the robberies. The Sheriff was specifically not invited due to the content of the discussions. ;)