Matt

Whats the difference between CCI Mini mags and standard velo

Whats the difference between CCI Mini mags and Standard Velocity? Are mini mags higher velocity? Also, I thought mini mags were jacketed but was recently told they are not jacketed and are actually just "painted" in copper or something. any ideas?

Whats the difference between CCI Mini mags and Standard Velocity? Are mini mags higher velocity? Also, I thought mini mags were jacketed but was recently told they are not jacketed and are actually just "painted" in copper or something. any ideas?

CCI Mini Mags are high velocity. I believe there are 2 versions, hollow point and standard. Both are lead core with copper plating. HP version is 36 grains and MV is 1260ft/sec. It will cycle better than standard velocity on some semi autos due to increased recoil.

I run the non hollow poing in my 22s. I have a Sig 226 Conversion kit which is very picky with ammo and known to have feed/eject issues with many types of ammo. However it runs flawlessly with MiniMags. I have put 900 rounds through the kit with only 2 cleanings and have no feeding issues at all. They also run well in my GSG 5 SD. I put 200 rounds through it last weekend and not a single issue.

They are "plated" or "washed" with copper which means they are electroplated while being tumbled. The tumbling is the reason some people feel lead bullets are more accurate than plated. The lead are not dinged by the tumbling. However, unless you're shooting for extreme accuracy, it's not a factor.

PS: You don't need a copper jacket for a .22LR and no one makes a FMJ .22LR.

The real issue is finding someone who stocks the Mini mags. They're always sold out. I'm currently using CCI Blazers w/ decent results until I can stock up on Minimags..

Seriously?

I never had an issue finding them.

Dicks in Freehold had them. I typically picked mine up in Walmart in PA, any of them, for $6.49 a box of 100.

Georgia Arms has them in stock. I stocked up last time when they had it in stock. Dunno if it's the best price but I think it's fair.

Link for both hollow point and round nose:

http://georgia-arms.com/cci22longriflem ... brick.aspx

http://georgia-arms.com/cci22longriflem ... brick.aspx

Georgia Arms has them in stock. I stocked up last time when they had it in stock. Dunno if it's the best price but I think it's fair.

At $36 per $500 it is roughly 2x the correct price. Cabelas has them sometime for $19.99 which is the right price. Up to maybe $25 / 500 is reasonable. At $36 per 500, they are absolutely raping you...

Hmmm, when I was searching people are selling it close to $7/100. Do you know any place selling it at $25 for 500?

I don't see it at Cabelas right now but they sell 22LR non bulk at about $7/100 on sale. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I thought CCI Mini Mags are at higher end ammo.

At $36 per $500 it is roughly 2x the correct price. Cabelas has them sometime for $19.99 which is the right price. Up to maybe $25 / 500 is reasonable. At $36 per 500, they are absolutely raping you...

The real issue is finding someone who stocks the Mini mags. They're always sold out. I'm currently using CCI Blazers w/ decent results until I can stock up on Minimags..

Ramsey's in Paramus had a ton in stock last time I was there but they are $9 for 100 rounds = $45/500

Ramsey's in Paramus had a ton in stock last time I was there but they are $9 for 100 rounds = $45/500

WalMart in Milford usually has them available. I think they were $6.87/100 last time I was there.

Standard velocity: Round Nose 1070 fps. 40 Grain Lead Bullet. Appears to be wax coated. Comes in 500 RD Brick and 100 RD BOX

Mini Mags- Round Nose: 1235 fps. 40 Grain Copper Coated 100 RD Pack

Hollow Point: 1260 fps. 36 Grain Copper Coated 100 RD Pack

Why spend all the extra money on Minimags when you can get the same performance out of

Federal bulk packages

36 grain - 1260 fps

40 grain - 1240 fps

for about 1/2 the price

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=9222

Do you know offhand what the name of the 40 grain solid federal ammo is called? I'm guessing it's their game shock label?