Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Is it possible to over clean your guns?

Is it possible to clean your guns too often? Any negative effects?

no.. as long as you are doing it CORRECTLY i fail to see any damage you could do..

do keep in mind that if you are using non-corrosive ammo you are likely just wasting time and money when it comes to SOME guns.. my Saiga for example could likely go a VERY long time without cleaning and still operate flawlessly.. I still clean it from time to time.. but I don't stress about it..

Yea, I don't think there is such a thing as over cleaning, as long as you're doing it correctly.

My DSes during Basic would always say not to "over clean" the bolt of our M16's (to the point of chroming them). Would it have made much of a difference? Probably not (considering a lot of the bolts had been cleaned to the point of being chromed)-- but that's the only occasion I've ever heard "not to do it."

this question reminds me of thr 80s movie w/ Estel Getty and Sylvester Staloneshe is his elderly mom.he is a cop or detective she takes his gun unknown by him and washes it in a sink full of dishes whille talking to him, it goes in blue comes out like ss then tries to give it back and Sl just stands with his mouth wide open

YES you can overclean a firearm. In particuler precision rifles. A fair number of precision barrels have been ruined by overcleaning.

MAYBE if you are using abrasive cleaning tools.. but if the brush is brass? and the cleaning solution is something good quality.. i fail to see how it is going to scratch or damage the barrel? think about the force you are shoving the actual bullet through the barrel with.. now thing about the force you are using to clean it.. they just do not seem to be anywhere near equal.. so i just don't understand how you could cause damage.. NOT saying you are wrong.. just dont get it..

One of the problems of "overcleaning" is wearing out the crown of the barrel. Mostly on rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle. Use of a proper cleaning rod and bore guide will minmize this. Some advocate using a bore snake all the time but I don't feel you can get the bore totally clean with a bore snake. Let the solvent do the work on the bore and don't try to muscle it out with a bore brush or other abrasives.

not to beat it to death.. but "over cleaning" VS "improper cleaning" I think is MORE of the issue..

this question reminds me of thr 80s movie w/ Estel Getty and Sylvester Staloneshe is his elderly mom.he is a cop or detective she takes his gun unknown by him and washes it in a sink full of dishes whille talking to him, it goes in blue comes out like ss then tries to give it back and Sl just stands with his mouth wide open

Stop! Or My Mom will Shoot. LOL funny movie.