Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Illegal to discharge a firearm.

I have noticed that many towns have these signs posted. I am assuming this is their way of screwing with out right to bare arms?

I am not saying that if you live in a development that you should be firing off rounds on your .25 acre plot but what is with this law?

Does that mean you can't shoot in your basement if you wanted to? (Did this growing up .22 with a small trap)

Does this mean you cant defend yourself in your own home?

What if you have a lot of acreage? We shot outside growing up too. Does this mean you can't shoot then either?

Basically is this just NJ screwing us over? Reason?

I don't know and couldn't tell you the specifics about "No Discharge Laws." There was a thread on this earlier (more so a listing of towns that did or did not have one). From my experience though, my neighboring town has a no discharge law, but also is home of a gun club/range (both indoors and outdoors). So, *from my experience*, there are apparently ways around it. How or what is beyond my knowledge, sorry :oops:

these generally exist in areas with lots of people.. they dont want you just wandering out in the woods pumping off mags through your AR10 with no berm or safety.. NJ is picky about WHERE you can shoot.. and again in a LOT of instances this IS reasonable for safety reasons.. this does NOT apply to areas that are LEGALLY designated (ranges, woods when hunting with proper firearms, etc.. )

I don't know and couldn't tell you the specifics about "No Discharge Laws." There was a thread on this earlier (more so a listing of towns that did or did not have one). From my experience though, my neighboring town has a no discharge law, but also is home of a gun club/range (both indoors and outdoors). So, *from my experience*, there are apparently ways around it. How or what is beyond my knowledge, sorry :oops:

Ben,

West Windsor has a no discharge law, except when it is on the property of Citizen's Rifle and revolver club. It was written into the town ordinance when they created the no discharge.

I don't know if this was the progenitor of the "no-discharge" laws, but the reason it is on the books in Princeton & Princeton Twp is an interesting story.

Seems these two entities wanted to prohibit hunting - for whatever reason - and passed an ordinance doing exactly that. The state Fish & Wildlife Division then stepped in and said that they didn't have the right to do that (pre-emption), only F&W could make regulations about hunting. At which point the municipalities said OK, and passed no-discharge ordinances instead, effectively achieving the same end.

Of course within about 8 to 10 years of this happening, the two municipalities were literally overrun with whitetail. Deer/car accidents increased 1000% and thousands of dollars of landscaping was being destroyed daily. Instead of allowing hunting (a revenue generating solution), they PAID professional hunters (White Buffalo) to come in and harvest the deer. BTW, they used AR's, suppressed, with NV - How does that fly in NJ?????????????

That's our story for the day.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have noticed that many towns have these signs posted. I am assuming this is their way of screwing with out right to bare arms?

I don't think it's some Communist plot to interfere with our 2A rights but a matter of public safety. Remember rifle bullets easily go 1 1/2 miles or farther. Yes some of it is anti-hunting but that is what people in those places wanted. Some will remember shooting in the gravel pits west of Kimball Hospital in Lakewood in the 70s. All went well, the police used to cruise by but not bother anyone until neighbors a mile away started getting rounds hitting their houses. Haven't been abl eto shoot there for years

I am not saying that if you live in a development that you should be firing off rounds on your .25 acre plot but what is with this law?

Varies town to town.

Does that mean you can't shoot in your basement if you wanted to? (Did this growing up .22 with a small trap)

Varies town to town

Does this mean you cant defend yourself in your own home?

Of course not. Even in NJ you have no obligation to retreat in a lethal force situation.

What if you have a lot of acreage? We shot outside growing up too. Does this mean you can't shoot then either?

Depends on the town

Basically is this just NJ screwing us over? Reason?

Don't know if it still is but being the most heavily populated state you tend to see these ordinances more here. Outside of hunting laws there is no state law regarding the discharge of firearms near buildings. That's pretty liberal at 1/4 mile (I could be wrong on that). You will find similar laws in most gun friendly states like VT, PA, TX, etc. These laws are established by towns not the state.

I don't think it's some Communist plot to interfere with our 2A rights but a matter of public safety. Remember rifle bullets easily go 1 1/2 miles or farther. Yes some of it is anti-hunting but that is what people in those places wanted. Some will remember shooting in the gravel pits west of Kimball Hospital in Lakewood in the 70s. All went well, the police used to cruise by but not bother anyone until neighbors a mile away started getting rounds hitting their houses. Haven't been abl eto shoot there for years

If I am thinking of the same pits you are are talking about they actually made a gun range back there. The cops seem to use it whenever they feel like shooting.

There was always a Lakewood PD range there conspicuously posted no trespassing. I don't know who owns the land there. There was no problem until their were people who didn't ensure their rounds were going into a suitable backstop

There was always a Lakewood PD range there conspicuously posted no trespassing. I don't know who owns the land there. There was no problem until their were people who didn't ensure their rounds were going into a suitable backstop

More than likely it's either town owned, or corporate and leased to the Town. the Reason you wont see many if any PD ranges open for Public useage is the huge liability cocnerns. Range access, like EVERYTHING else is controlled by the Attorneys.

Im pretty sure the township owns it. They sold off a big chunk of it to build Orthodox communities.

What most people either Dont understand, or in reality, WONT understand is that the majority of Police Policies and procedures are dictated NOT by the letter of the law, but by Attorneys, both at the state, county, and Town level. The Attorney General (Top lawyer in the state) Dictates guidelines that we MUST follow in handling everything from Firearms Qualification to how Internal Rules and Regulations are to be written..32 of them..with continual directives and updates sometimes weekely. The County Prosecutor (Another Attorney) Dictates how certain types of incidents are to be handled and when they step in and take over investigations. The Town Attorneys then direct most internal things..... Hell I know in my dept at least, WE don't even have final say in Hiring and Firing. part of the idea behind Field training when we get recruits out of the academy is to weed out potential problems BEFORE they become problems. Yet we have been forced to keep 3 people who's training Officers reccomended be let go. One guy froze up during a shooting, and resigned a few days afterwards, and another we FINALLY got rid of after he got involved in a Domestic. The last one actually turned himself around and ended up doing well. But the answer from HR Each time was "But we've invested "X" amount of money in salary and training, you expect us to just throw that away??"