AdamaSys

Shopping Spree?

I have about $1600 saved up that I've been referring to as the "gun fund" ever since I applied for my FID last week. When I get my card, I intend to blow every last cent of it. So, I've come here for advice on how to spend it.

My initial plan was to buy a Ruger SR-22 to familiarize myself with firearms as well as the AR platform (I know, there are "better" choices in .22LR, namely the M&P15-22 if I want to get the feel of an AR... but SR-22 it is.) and have a rifle that's affordable to shoot since there's nothing cheaper than .22LR.

That route would leave me with roughly $1100 to spend on other things. I intended to get a cheap shotgun followed by a cheap bolt action using the remainder. Of course, I could always go for one very good shotgun or one very good bolt action.

The second plan I've been considering is going straight for an AR with all of the savings, either a ready to go setup (considering the M&P15 and SR-556 in particular) or I'll build up my own using parts I prefer. The problem with building up my own is that since I'm completely new to this, I don't know what I do and don't like yet.

So I've come to you. You guys know more about this than I ever will and I trust your guidance. What is a wise path for a first time buyer?

Lastly, is it legal to buy rifle ammo and passive rifle components online without an FID? (magazines, stocks, barrels, rails, and other non-moving parts...)

Thanks again everyone.

IMO you should look for a cheap rifle chambered in .22lr(Ruger 10/22 is the favorite). You can buy one and top it with a cheap scope for under $200. You'll be able to shoot it all day long at NJ's various Wildlife Management Areas for free, once you get your hunting license.

Next look for a good quality shotgun. I would go with a Remington 11-87 or 870. The auto will obviously be more cash up front, but your shoulder will thank you if you choose to hunt for deer with slugs. Either way, be sure to get a rifled and smoothbore barrel so you can hunt both upland game and deer.

Once you have those two, you can probably afford a lower-end AR, or definitely build your own. This is the route I would take without a doubt.

dont be afraid to buy used.

Get a cheap 22lr rifle. 10-22's are good, however marlin's are more accurate out of the box... I have 3, may part with 1

Milsurplus is good way, but may be a bit intimidating.

Cant go wrong with a 22LR.

Mosin Nagant, 880rds of surplus ammo, and a bottle of windex. $300-350

Remington 870 Express. $300-350

1000 Assorted 12 gauge rounds - ~$350

Cleaning kit, extra patches - $50

Two rifle cases - $60

Locks? - $20

Ammo Cans - $25

Hearing protection, shooting glasses, extra ear plugs for doubling up - $30

That'll get you started off nicely!

The only problem with milsurplus is its a mixed bag. I got real lucky finding my M44... I went and looked at three 91/30s today and they looked like they were dropped off a friggin bridge. You have to know whats good or you'll get burned. Really it comes down to, if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't right. Used is certainly good, especially for shotguns. Absolutely try to get a used 870 or something like that. It'll save you a good hundred bucks that can go into ammo. Ya... notice my list had like 1000rds each worth of ammo. Somehow everyone overlooks ammo. If you are gonna buy the thing plan on shooting it... may make you think twice about gettin a ammo hungry AR. Thats why Mosins are great. You can run through like 50-100 rounds and feel like you shot all day. If you shoot like 250rds through your AR in a day you're just getting warmed up! Same goes for semi pistols! So easy to shoot volume.

IMO you should look for a cheap rifle chambered in .22lr(Ruger 10/22 is the favorite). You can buy one and top it with a cheap scope for under $200. You'll be able to shoot it all day long at NJ's various Wildlife Management Areas for free, once you get your hunting license.

Next look for a good quality shotgun. I would go with a Remington 11-87 or 870. The auto will obviously be more cash up front, but your shoulder will thank you if you choose to hunt for deer with slugs. Either way, be sure to get a rifled and smoothbore barrel so you can hunt both upland game and deer.

Once you have those two, you can probably afford a lower-end AR, or definitely build your own. This is the route I would take without a doubt.

What j0n said.

If your goal is to familiarize yourself with the AR-15 platform, the SR-22 is NOT the way to go. While it may appear similar to an AR in some ways, it does not function like one at all. The S&W M&P 15-22, on the other hand, is VERY similar as far as controls/function/manipulation go. The SR-22 seems like a fun gun, and not saying to not get it... but it's really just a dressed up 10/22.

For the shotgun, I'd go with a pump for the first one. Yeah, you do feel the recoil more than you would on a semi-auto, but IMHO it's better to learn on a pump. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

I'm not a bolt gun guy, so nothing to really recommend there. .22 bolt action rifles are a lot of fun tho.

Good luck and welcome to the world of (soon to be) gun ownership :)

Good for you to have a designated fund!

I have a Marlin 60, 22LR, semi-auto for sale. Round count ~400. Like new condition and very accurate.

15 round tube mag (max, NJ legal), wood stock w/ carving (maybe walnut, not sure), 3-9x32 Bushnell scope w/ rings, padded gun case, gun sock and keyed trigger lock. + free box of ammo to get you started.

$150 w/ FID and matching DL. PM me if interested.

And, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided I'll most likely buy a cheap and/or used .22 rifle (no SR-22) and I will consider the offers I've received here. After that I'll go for a shotgun, probably a Remington 870 or even 870p since the quality is said to be superior. And after that I'll start gathering parts for an AR.

I will take a shooting class, in fact that's one of the things I started looking into before I even submitted my application.

Hello,

I was in a similar dilema 6 months ago with a budget of about 2K.

I got :

- Saiga .223 (it is an AK made in Russia and .223 is widely available , also the chamber can shoot 5.56 NATO)

- Henry Lever Action .22LR (cheap to shoot and i got it for 265$ at Cabelas.....with a great warranty).

- Mosin 91/30 for 99$ which has a powerfull 7.62x54r cartridge and if tuned can shoot decent

- STAG 15 model 4 20inch (5.56 NATO barell) to get me the AR platform coverage (900$)......did not want to blow any extra money on the Colt legend or similar AR`s priced $1000+.....

Good luck with your selection.....

Hello,

I was in a similar dilema 6 months ago with a budget of about 2K.

I got :

- Saiga .223 (it is an AK made in Russia and .223 is widely available , also the chamber can shoot 5.56 NATO)

- Henry Lever Action .22LR (cheap to shoot and i got it for 265$ at Cabelas.....with a great warranty).

- Mosin 91/30 for 99$ which has a powerfull 7.62x54r cartridge and if tuned can shoot decent

- STAG 15 model 4 20inch (5.56 NATO barell) to get me the AR platform coverage (900$)......did not want to blow any extra money on the Colt legend or similar AR`s priced $1000+.....

Good luck with your selection.....

Shoulda got a shotgun instead of the saiga :-P

You'd be amazed at how fast that $1600 can go. Initial purchase price is only a small portion of what you will spend. By the time you get set up with eyes and ears, a lesson if you are new to shooting, ammo, cleaning supplies carrying cases etc the money goes by pretty quick. Unless you have a place in Pa to shoot its is gonna cost some bucks to fire your rifle. Ft Dix is probably the cheapest place to shoot.

I think you are making a smart choice by starting with a 22. .22lr ammo is MUCH cheaper and you can get a feel for the platform without worrying too much about how much each round costs.