AtlanticCounty

Do you guys tip the range officers? Is it customary?

Tip? The guy is making dough just standing around acting cool. I do the same thing Trying to act COOL but don't get paid for it.

I like to stop for coffee on the way to CR. It's nice to just pick up an extra coffee for the RO babysitting the pistol range. (milk no sugar)

I guess situation at Sunset Hill is somewhat different - if you shooting their rental guns the RO there is actually the one who unlocks them for you, loads them etc. Basically every person shooting their guns is assigned a "personal" RO. And they actually have a few signs saying that tips are appreciated. So, I usually tip RO at Sunset Hill. $5 or 10 - depending on the size of the group and time he spend with us.

Sounds like this is a range specific thing. The ROs at most ranges don't do anything but keep an eye out on things (not an easy task at some ranges) and occasionally help out someone with a weird malfunction or something. Generally speaking, there isn't much reason to tip them.

I guess situation at Sunset Hill is somewhat different - if you shooting their rental guns the RO there is actually the one who unlocks them for you, loads them etc. Basically every person shooting their guns is assigned a "personal" RO. And they actually have a few signs saying that tips are appreciated. So, I usually tip RO at Sunset Hill. $5 or 10 - depending on the size of the group and time he spend with us.

Yea I was shooting my own guns and so was the guy who tipped. Thats why I thought it was kind of odd.

As a RSO, I have occasionally been offered a tip. The reasons vary...sometimes it's for keeping things running smoothly for a particular group when the range is busy, sometimes it's for unjamming a firearm or removing a squib load, sometimes it's for showing them how to clean or disassemble their firearm. Generally it's for making their shooting experience a more pleasant one. It's common with groups that include new shooters or spouses/girlfriends who are scared of guns. I look at tipping as a sign that the RSOs are doing their job well and providing excellent customer service.

A few of the regular customers call on their way to the range to see if the RSO needs a coffee or a cold soda. That's a nice form of recognition too.

--Daniel