Sign in to follow this  
Larain60

AR pistol build

Hey all,

Live in PA now (NJ still at heart).

I bought a stripped AR Pistol registered lower at a fun show a few weeks ago and finally got to order the parts for the build.

Here's what I ordered:

- Spikes pistol marked lower

- DSA upper

- DEZ Arms 7.5" barrel

- Troy Battlerail TRX 7.6"

- Troy Claymore muzzle brake

- Spike's pistol buffer

- Primary arms micro gen 3

-Magpul MIAD grip

- Noveske receiver end plate QD sling mount

- RRA BCG / CH

I received a few of the key parts today so I mocked up the barrel and handguard with muzzle brake.

Btw this brake is probably NJ legal is pin welded on... it looks pretty cool too. :)

I always wanted to build an AR pistol in NJ but never got around to it because I wasnt sure what components would be under the weight and I couldnt have handguards on it.

Ill post pics as the build progresses. Wonder what she will weigh when all done.

Update:

Here she is... came out real nice. I hope she shoots as nice as she looks. Going to run it this weekend.

ARpistol.jpg

guns011.jpg

I bought a stripped AR Pistol registered lower at a fun show a few weeks ago and finally got to order the parts for the build. Any lower would've worked as long as it transferred to you as a receiver only.

Wonder what she will weigh when all done. Probably heavier than most lightweight rifles.

Keep us posted with pics. ;)

I was under the impression to build a pistol it had to leave the factory as a pistol reciever. That you cant use a rifle lower for a pistol build.

You cannot use a rifle lower for a pistol build (without an SBR stamp) but you can use a pistol lower, or a virgin lower, for a pistol build. If the receiver is transferred on the 4473 as Pistol or Receiver you're good to go. From a Receiver transferred lower you can build a rifle or pistol.

Yes you guys are right re. virgin receivers transferred as "other" being able to be used for a pistol build. Few reasons why I didnt go that route. First is the pistol marked lower was $100 out the door at the show. :) Second was that I had another stripped lower I bought when I was a ward of NJ. I wanted to avoid any potential gray area having moved to PA with it since it was on a COE in NJ and not a pistol permit. Although PA respects your 2nd amendment rights, they do require handguns to be on a registration form when you purchase out here... and you cant do a FTF with handguns they have to be transferred through dealers. So being that I got a good deal on the pistol marked lower and intended on making a HG, I decided to just put it on a handgun form to play it safe.

Regarding the weight, Im going to do another build on a composite lower and fluted lightweight barrel... gonna try to get it under 48 ozs (magic number for nj I think). :)

is this nj legal? i want one! 8-)

In this configuration I dont think it would be ok in NJ. However, if it was reconfigured and didnt have handguards (and fell under the NJ weight limit) it would be ok.

Bushmaster makes a NJ compliant AR pistol (made out of composite without handguards)

Paul maybe knows better on this one.

In this configuration I dont think it would be ok in NJ. However, if it was reconfigured and didnt have handguards (and fell under the NJ weight limit) it would be ok.

Bushmaster makes a NJ compliant AR pistol (made out of composite without handguards)

bushmaster carbon.... wanted one till i figured out i could not have a handgaurd.. then lost interest..

bushmaster carbon.... wanted one till i figured out i could not have a handgaurd.. then lost interest..

The handguards are nice to have, but many folks Ive seen shoot AR pistols hold the front of the magwell and get a cheek-weld on the buffer tube. So it may still be worthwhile for a range toy. Especially with the 3 foot fireballs. :)

Mission accomplished. Pictures tomorrow.

All I can say is it came out really nice and surpassed my expectations. Very well balanced and not too heavy at all. Checkweld on buffer tube is very natural and it handles nice.

Hope to get to range on Friday to run it.

Good, now go get a tax stamp and SBR it!

Good idea Im thinking about it...

Ran it today about 150 rounds of Wolf metal case. Had 3 FTE... not bad. Need to break her in a bit more.

If I get it flawless running on Wolf then it will feed anything I think.

I thought that any pistol with the magazine outside the grip is illegal in NJ?

I thought that any pistol with the magazine outside the grip is illegal in NJ?

He's in PA now.