Sign in to follow this  
FFDP82

NJ transport laws

If a driver with FID is driving a vehicle where it is all one compartment such as a hatchback car or SUV, would it be legal to put a handgun and a rifle, both with a gun lock through them, in a zipped closed soft range bag, that the zippers are just ropes (not the metal kind that can take little travel locks) but are zipped closed and tied together in the zipped closed position, and ammo in a completely separate unlocked box (army surplus ammo box), would that be a legal way to transport directly to and from the range?

If a driver with FID is driving a vehicle where it is all one compartment such as a hatchback car or SUV, would it be legal to put a handgun and a rifle, both with a gun lock through them, in a zipped closed soft range bag, that the zippers are just ropes (not the metal kind that can take little travel locks) but are zipped closed and tied together in the zipped closed position, and ammo in a completely separate unlocked box (army surplus ammo box), would that be a legal way to transport directly to and from the range?

It is amazing that we have to worry about how to transport a fundamental right!! This state's laws have got to change...

In a one compartment vehicle, you must have all firearms(handguns or long guns) cased and unloaded.... The ammo must be in a separate box . Either the firearms or the ammo must be in a locked box/case, but not both.

This came from my local police dept, in writing when I picked up my last pistol permit a few months ago...I carry the letter with me, so if an over zealous cop tries to give me grief, I have documentation as proof.

In a one compartment vehicle, you must have all firearms(handguns or long guns) cased and unloaded.... The ammo must be in a separate box . Either the firearms or the ammo must be in a locked box/case, but not both.

This came from my local police dept, in writing when I picked up my last pistol permit a few months ago...I carry the letter with me, so if an over zealous cop tries to give me grief, I have documentation as proof.

the gun has to be unloaded.. the gun has to be in a locked box OR has to have a trigger lock.. the ammo as far as I am aware CAN actually be in the same box.. that whole "separate" thing has been discussed to death on here.. and I am reasonably sure that even though the state police (and many local police) suggest it.. it IS merely that.. a suggestion.. the key is unloaded.. and separated by a locking mechanism.. that lock can be a trunk.. a locked box.. or a trigger lock.. but i really dont think it matters beyond that..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8651&p=102631&hilit=seperate#p102631