s8n

Colt 6400c

I am hoping for some opinions on a colt M4 match target 6400c I have my eye on. Price is $1200. I'm not sure if this is in the ballpark or not . I'm sure it's not cheap.

Thanks,

Frank

I owned one. It is a really nice rifle and a great shooter. If you are looking for soemthing "tactical", the Colt Match Target is a good choice. I got rid of it because I was more into long range target shooting, and because there is nothing louder than a rifle with a compensator (especially at an indoor range). Also, the hot gases blow your and other people's shit all over the place. If you are interested in shooting at greater distances, take a look at the Rock River Varmint. It is about $900 and is guaranteed to be 1 MOA.

I have one that I bought here used with only 200 rounds thru it for like $950. $1200 is in the range for a new one. Check out the section here that asks for a price quote. It will get sent out to all of our supporting dealers and they will reply via email.

I have had great success with this.

It is the best M4 to get in terms of Mil spec features. You get the best parts and it's "made right". However you probably won't be able to tell a big difference between the Colt M4 and most other big names from shooting it at the range. It shoots slightly smoother than others because it comes with a M16 full auto bolt carrier and H buffer. The compensator works really well too.

If you want to upgrade and get rails for it I suggest you looking into the MT6400R. It is NJ legal and comes with full length rails and folding sights from the factory.

There are no civy M4's only Mforgeries. Many hold the 6920 as "The one" to have. I picked up a 6940 yesturday. Basically the 6920 with a Monolithic rail. Ive chatted with a number of people that have gotten +2k rounds with no cleaning reliability out of their 6920's. It was my understanding that the 6400 did not have the full auto bolt carrier. Honestly not a big deal in my mind. For 1200 what comes with it? If nothing, I think the price is a hair high.

I could be misinterpreting Shane, but I think he meant that $1200 for a unaccessoried AR is a lot. The pricing is pretty average for the Colt from what I can see on GunBroker. There are better prices out there, especially if you are willing to go used.

http://www.gunbroker.com

Type in Colt Match Target in the search bar.

BTW I will likely be putting one up for sale soon(an ar that is, not a Colt 6400). I have had it for 10 years. I have about 700 dead reliable rounds through it. It was made when Bushmaster had Colt in their sights and were really cranking out very good AR's. I have had at least 10 AR's since then but have never sold this one because its just always been great. It is the same as the one in the link except it has a full front sight. Id be looking for 749 firm. All you would need is a rear sight. You could pick up an MBUS for around 60 bucks or so. ONLY reason for selling is I bought a tricked out AR and I need to release funds for an upcoming purchase. (SCAR HEAVY :D ) Let me know if your interested.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/604206037428.html

BTW I will likely be putting one up for sale soon. I have had it for 10 years. I have about 700 dead reliable rounds through it. It was made when Bushmaster had Colt in their sights and were really cranking out very good AR's. I have had at least 10 AR's since then but have never sold this one because its just always been great. It is the same as the one in the link except it has a full front sight. Id be looking for 749 firm. All you would need is a rear sight. You could pick up an MBUS for around 60 bucks or so. ONLY reason for selling is I bought a tricked out AR and I need to release funds for an upcoming purchase. (SCAR HEAVY :D ) Let me know if your interested.

That's nice!

The problem with a 6400C, or any Colt Match part number ending in "C", is that you can't actually use it for any kind of competition, due to the "C" meaning compensator, which is not allowed in NRA highpower rules. Even if you think you might not care, someday you will.

I just ended up spending a lot of $$ for a high quality new upper because I'm now competing a little. For non-NRA "unofficial" rules, the compensator is very unpleasant for the people shooting next to you. For NRA official rules, they aren't allowed.

I highly recommend Colt Match Target rifles, but I would get one without the "C" and the end of the number.

-Dave

The MT6400C although named "match target" is hardly a gun good for any type of marksman competition. It's essentially a NJ legal 6920/M4 clone. It has a carbine length gas system and comes with a non-match trigger.

Colt does make a 20" NM rifle with HBar bbl although I don't think it's the best NM AR15 out there with stock components. For competition there are better options out there for less $$$, the RRA NM is probably a better buy since it comes with a good free float tube, a Wilson bbl I believe and much much better stock NM trigger.

BTW I will likely be putting one up for sale soon. I have had it for 10 years. I have about 700 dead reliable rounds through it. It was made when Bushmaster had Colt in their sights and were really cranking out very good AR's. I have had at least 10 AR's since then but have never sold this one because its just always been great. It is the same as the one in the link except it has a full front sight. Id be looking for 749 firm. All you would need is a rear sight. You could pick up an MBUS for around 60 bucks or so. ONLY reason for selling is I bought a tricked out AR and I need to release funds for an upcoming purchase. (SCAR HEAVY :D ) Let me know if your interested.

Thanks, I'll Keep You in mind