Sign in to follow this  
Matt

How strict is the "transport directly to and from the range"

law for transporting handguns? I have never had to stop for any reason but I was running low and gas on the way back from the range yesterday and, although I made it without stopping, I wonder if pulling off to refill falls into the category of necessary stopage.

law for transporting handguns? I have never had to stop for any reason but I was running low and gas on the way back from the range yesterday and, although I made it without stopping, I wonder if pulling off to refill falls into the category of necessary stopage.

Getting gasoline is fine.

Diverting a few miles to get lunch is not.

Its not like cops have pistol radar or something, and will pull in behind your car the moment you deviate on your trip for a 20 minute break at five guys getting a burger. If somebody happens to steal your car, or breaks into the trunk you will have a lot of explaining to do. Here's another scenario... you pull in for a quick bite to eat and somebody crashes into the back of your car. Uh oh, now the cops are on the way and they are gonna be poking around the trunk area. Its possible that its damaged and you cannot get it open. Like all things illegal... its typically not if it will ever be a problem... its when it will be a problem. One of my friends ditched all the fancy pistol cases for this very unassuming looking round bucket looking thing. He puts the pistols in bags with luggage locks on them, tosses them in the bottom... you wouldn't even know he had like 10 pistols in there unless you physically went through the bucket.

I am going to have to get permission to bring my pistol inside work then. I dont get off until six, would have to drive to Toms River, and then back up to SS or BA? Complete BS. Work would never let me anyways.
You leave your guns inside your car during the day while you are at work before heading to the range?

I am going to have to get permission to bring my pistol inside work then. I dont get off until six, would have to drive to Toms River, and then back up to SS or BA? Complete BS. Work would never let me anyways.
You leave your guns inside your car during the day while you are at work before heading to the range?

Yep....

Yep....

Wouldn't that most definitely be considered an illegal stop?

Yes..... it is illegal....

Risk vs. Reward

I as most of us, also drive at times above the speed limit.... LOL.... we all break "laws"

Of course the penalties are much worse with breaking the "gun" laws in this state, but I choose to be a little lax in them at times.... But I refuse to be made to feel like a criminal. It's all a personal choice. I am not going to tell you it's OK to do what I do.... you need to do what you are comfortable with. You would faint on how I transport my guns in my Reg. Cab truck when heading to a local range.... But when heading up to NewHampshire for the Sig course..... I made sure I did it by the rule book....

Risk vs. Reward

I as most of us, also drive at times above the speed limit.... LOL.... we all break "laws"

Of course the penalties are much worse with breaking the "gun" laws in this state, but I choose to be a little lax in them at times.... But I refuse to be made to feel like a criminal. It's all a personal choice. I am not going to tell you it's OK to do what I do.... you need to do what you are comfortable with. You would faint on how I transport my guns in my Reg. Cab truck when heading to a local range.... But when heading up to NewHampshire for the Sig course..... I made sure I did it by the rule book....

You.... you mean.... you travelled through NEW YORK WITH A HANDGUN :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Risk vs. Reward

You.... you mean.... you travelled through NEW YORK WITH A HANDGUN :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Yep...... and I lived to tell about it :twisted:

• Like 1

LOL... you drove through NY with a pistol? HA... that's certainly ballsy considering the consequences for that.

Speaking of consequences. What exactly is the crime for stopping to eat after going to the range? Lets say you are generally on the way home from the range and stop, your car gets hit while parked, and the cops find the pistol. Are you going to jail a felon or whats the dealy?

LOL... you drove through NY with a pistol? HA... that's certainly ballsy considering the consequences for that.

Speaking of consequences. What exactly is the crime for stopping to eat after going to the range? Lets say you are generally on the way home from the range and stop, your car gets hit while parked, and the cops find the pistol. Are you going to jail a felon or whats the dealy?

Technically you are protected by federal law passing through NY but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

I wondered this as well. The only thing that concerned me is if my car was stolen or broken into. I went to the range about a month ago and we needed to pick up milk and a few other things at Walmart. Sorry, but i was not going home, putting the guns in the case then going all the way back out to Walmart... so we stopped on our way home.

BTW, these rules have to change. My gosh, first off the guns are locked in the back separate from the ammo. Second, I am a legal gun owner being treated like a criminal. Not like I am going to the bar I just want to go to the range and then have a burger with my son on the way home... total BS and I think Unconstitutional.

Now for the question of the day... what would you do:

You finish at the range and stop at Wawa on the way home. You notice a robbery in progress with a firearm. The guy's back is to you and he is pointing his gun at innocent people. Do you:

A) Leave it for the cops.

B) grab your gun from the trunk and call out.

C) Just shoot him in the back and hope you hit him.

I wondered this as well. The only thing that concerned me is if my car was stolen or broken into. I went to the range about a month ago and we needed to pick up milk and a few other things at Walmart. Sorry, but i was not going home, putting the guns in the case then going all the way back out to Walmart... so we stopped on our way home.

BTW, these rules have to change. My gosh, first off the guns are locked in the back separate from the ammo. Second, I am a legal gun owner being treated like a criminal. Not like I am going to the bar I just want to go to the range and then have a burger with my son on the way home... total BS and I think Unconstitutional.

Now for the question of the day... what would you do:

You finish at the range and stop at Wawa on the way home. You notice a robbery in progress with a firearm. The guy's back is to you and he is pointing his gun at innocent people. Do you:

A) Leave it for the cops.

B) grab your gun from the trunk and call out.

C) Just shoot him in the back and hope you hit him.

In NJ? Pretend I didn't see shit and GTFO.

• Like 1

Call the cops and become an expert eyewitness. Since I almost always have a camera on me, record the event for the prosecution.

No sense in getting jacked up by NJ laws.

This is about it.. The few times i've had to wade into things off-duty FIRST thing the wife did was get on the horn to the local PD and let them know I was in the middle of things as well as what I was wearing, then give the descriptions of the BG's, while getting out of the way herself. Believe it or not, the MOST important thing you can do is get a clear description of the bad guy, as detailed as possible, and also vehicle and plate. I've had scenes where 5 people all gave different descriptions of the same guy. Adrenaline and Fear screw with your perceptions.