hopper

At what age ??

I dont have any kids yet but my brother does and we were debating this , at what age do you think is appropriate to show your child your firearms , all handguns no shotguns or rifles , his son is 7 and pretty curious about stuff so does he teach him now or wait a couple years ????????

It all depends on the kid. I was a LEO so both my kids can't remember when Daddy didn't carry a gun. My oldest daughter was shooting a 22 when she was 4. My youngest never had any interest whatsoever. Both would never touch a gun unless they had permission from when they were about 3 on. My oldest daughther would get upset if a kid pointed a toy gun at her.

I started My daughter at about 4 or so..and made it clear that she could look at or touch my guns anytime she wanted, but was NEVER to go near them without me or her mother present. About once a year I IntegrityTest her with an Airsoft handgun..so far she's been great, as soon as she sees it, she goes and gets one of us rather than touch it. last Summer I bought a little Heritage .22 SA revolver for her, and let her shoot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago at age 8..I also built/Assembled :D her a Pink AR for this year. A lot depends on the individual Child. For the past year i've hammered the safety rules into her, once she was able to get them all right, She got her first range day.

I started My daughter at about 4 or so..and made it clear that she could look at or touch my guns anytime she wanted, but was NEVER to go near them without me or her mother present. About once a year I IntegrityTest her with an Airsoft handgun..so far she's been great, as soon as she sees it, she goes and gets one of us rather than touch it. last Summer I bought a little Heritage .22 SA revolver for her, and let her shoot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago at age 8..I also built/Assembled :D her a Pink AR for this year. A lot depends on the individual Child. For the past year i've hammered the safety rules into her, once she was able to get them all right, She got her first range day.

This is proper training right here.

I dont have any kids yet but my brother does and we were debating this , at what age do you think is appropriate to show your child your firearms , all handguns no shotguns or rifles , his son is 7 and pretty curious about stuff so does he teach him now or wait a couple years ????????

The Eddie Eagle rules should start IMMEDIATELY. If you see a gun stop, don't touch, leave the area and tell an adult.

The 4 rules of firearm safety are the next lessons to be learned.

After that, exposure to firearms (without shooting them) and then expose them to shooting them - they will tell you through their actions when they are ready to shoot.

I did the "you can ask to see my guns any time you want". Well - I entertained a little boy for several months - but since then, he's basically lost interest. It's no big deal to him now.

The Eddie Eagle rules should start IMMEDIATELY. If you see a gun stop, don't touch, leave the area and tell an adult.

The 4 rules of firearm safety are the next lessons to be learned.

After that, exposure to firearms (without shooting them) and then expose them to shooting them - they will tell you through their actions when they are ready to shoot.

I did the "you can ask to see my guns any time you want". Well - I entertained a little boy for several months - but since then, he's basically lost interest. It's no big deal to him now.

This.. the only time i told her "no" was when we were short on time, ot i was heading out the door to work. Other than that whenever she asked She got to seem touch, and hold anything in the safe she wanted to take the mystery away.

My kids are 7 and 9. They have seen/held my guns since they were able to. They know just ask and I will open the vault and let them handle them. They both enjoy reloading as well. I believe in taking the mystery out of guns. They both know the 4 rules of Safety as well as what to do if they should ever come across a gun.

I believe in taking the mystery out of guns

THAT right there is the best policy.

+1

I remember being 10 or 12 and asking my dad about 350 times how his cap and ball revolver works because I couldn't remember the sequence. He was very calm and explained it every time.

My kids are 7 and 9. They have seen/held my guns since they were able to. They know just ask and I will open the vault and let them handle them. They both enjoy reloading as well. I believe in taking the mystery out of guns. They both know the 4 rules of Safety as well as what to do if they should ever come across a gun.

My son is 5, i've done the same, take away the wow factor, teach them the rules and respect them. We were playing laser tag the other night and he was running around with his trigger finger straight, off trigger. He then asked, Dad, if i cant point a gun at anyone how am i going to win @ laser tag... I think he understands the rules... 8-) . I had to put a trigger lock on one of his star wars blasters because he didn't want to leave it unlocked in case "another child" got a hold of it... :lol:

My son is 5, i've done the same, take away the wow factor, teach them the rules and respect them. We were playing laser tag the other night and he was running around with his trigger finger straight, off trigger. He then asked, Dad, if i cant point a gun at anyone how am i going to win @ laser tag... I think he understands the rules... 8-) . I had to put a trigger lock on one of his star wars blasters because he didn't want to leave it unlocked in case "another child" got a hold of it... :lol:

That is so awsome! Kinda akes you wish someone made a little medal you could give him.

Regulator72 wrote:

lol thats awesome