Sign in to follow this  
remingtonman1108

NJ-NY gun laws

I am going to Upstate NY to my buddy's property to help him out cutting up some trees. We want to take some of our pistols to go shoot up there (he just got one the other day and he wants to shoot it for the first time) and i want to bring one of mine to toy around with. I know NY has some TOUGH gun laws as well as NJ. Can i bring my pistol to UPSTATE NY when i go?

No unless you are going directly to a NRA sanctioned event. Some people say fib it incase you gets pulled over... but what happens when the cops show up at your buddies property cause someone reported something? Not worth losing your pistol over.... take a long gun instead.

I am going to Upstate NY to my buddy's property to help him out cutting up some trees. We want to take some of our pistols to go shoot up there (he just got one the other day and he wants to shoot it for the first time) and i want to bring one of mine to toy around with. I know NY has some TOUGH gun laws as well as NJ. Can i bring my pistol to UPSTATE NY when i go?

As others have said...not worth it. Don't take a pistol into NY.

Rifles...no problem.

No unless you are going directly to a NRA sanctioned event. Some people say fib it incase you gets pulled over... but what happens when the cops show up at your buddies property cause someone reported something? Not worth losing your pistol over.... take a long gun instead.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through

New York State with handguns for the purposes of any

NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match,

within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has

in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of

entry and a pistol license from his state of residence.

:confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I'm looking into getting a NY License since I live 5 min from a range in NY. I will update when I have more info.

I'm looking into getting a NY License since I live 5 min from a range in NY. I will update when I have more info.

What kind of license?

A new york handgun license.

They don't issue those to non residents, which is why I asked. I thought perhaps he was trying to get a NY driver license...maybe he's got a crash pad in NYS somewhere and was going to get a NY driver license as a precursor to a pistol license.

They don't issue those to non residents, which is why I asked. I thought perhaps he was trying to get a NY driver license...maybe he's got a crash pad in NYS somewhere and was going to get a NY driver license as a precursor to a pistol license.

Oh, they don't issue out of state licenses?

Well, looks like hes boned for handgun target shooting at that range 5 minutes from his house :(