rauchman

Sully stock

Greetings,

I've been really considering the Sully stock. When looking through the AR Pic thread, it seems a lot of NJ'ers use this stock. I just picked up a used Vltor Rifle Modstock. While I like it, it's still a smidge long. In looking at the Sully stock, it looks really short. I understand it's popular for carbine class shooting where the technique is to be squared to the target vs. bladed. How is it for shooting prone and what not?

Are you happy w/ your Sully stock? Would you buy it again? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

I have one for my AR and am very happy with it. The LOP is fine for me with the standard butt pad. If my shoulder is square to the target my nose almost touches the charging handle. I can see in some shooting position it might be a tad too short but it's designed for carbines which will be used by soldiers on the move and with body armor or heavy clothing. If the LOP is too short for you they have a thicker butt pad which will add 1" to the LOP.

545AR_01.jpg

545AR_04.jpg

545AR_02.jpg

I have a Sully stock as well.

The good is that I utilize the positions that favor such a short LOP-- so, the 7'' LOP is optimized. The weight, which could be good and bad depending on the operator, is a good thing IMO because it balances out the weight. I run an H-1, TD stubby, and DD mount/G2; and a Redi-Mag w/ another magazine-- and the overall balance feels well distributed. I haven't used this rifle with the Sully stock in the colder months yet, and I do not shoot with body armor or a vest (haven't taken any classes/training with this stock)-- so, I cannot comment on that effect.

The only bad I can think of is that if you try to run a scope, the scope shadow can be disorienting because of the short LOP. With enough practice, this would be remedied fine.

There is also the weight issue for some, as I mentioned above. It does bother me at times because I was trying to run a more lightweight build, but I gave up on that. My rifle weighs right around 7.5 lbs unloaded, and 8.5 with both magazines (30 rounds (2x15; though I run 2x14 + weight of PMags) = ~1 lbs on average).

The lack of a sling attachment on the butt stock can be disconcerting as well. I ended up buying the Tango Down PR-4 (I think) from a suggestion from Caine.

Overall, its a great stock. If I was sticking to having a light weight build, I probably would go with another option. However, for any general purpose, its just fine. I highly recommend it. Would I buy it again? Yes.

Here's the weight of Sully against some other stocks. I got this from Calguns.net:

It's lighter than an A1, A2, Ace Skeleton, and others. Virtually the same as Stag M4 Commercial Carbine stock.

Forest's rifle components weights spreadsheet

Stocks (with receiver extension & buffer assembly)

The two numbers are weight in pounds and then weight in ounces.

A1..........1.5625..........25

A2..........1.53125..........24.5

Cav Arms C1 (A1 length with plastic trapdoor buttplate)..........1.25..........20

Sully..........1.109375..........17.75

Entry..........0.9125..........14.6

Ace Skeleton (Stubby length w/ rubber buttplate)..........0.8..........12.8

Ace Skeleton (A1 length w/ rubber buttplate)..........1.31875..........21.1

Ace M4 SOCOM..........1.3125..........21.0

Ace Ultralight..........0.81875..........13.1

CAR Telestock (Fiberlight, Mil-Spec)..........0.9125..........14.6

M4 Telestock (RRA, 6-Pos Commercial)..........0.89375..........14.3

M4 Telestock (Stag, 6 pos, Mil-Spec)..........1.0625..........17.0

BM Buttstock, fixed 'Telescoping Style'..........1.4375..........23

MagPul M93A..........1.35625..........21.7

MagPul PRS (Precision Rifle Stock)..........1.70625..........27.3

LMT Crane Telestock..........1.28125..........20.5

VLTOR Carbine Mod Stock (Telestock)..........1.05..........16.8

VLTOR Carbine Clubfoot Telestock..........1.05625..........16.9

I have one for my AR and am very happy with it. The LOP is fine for me with the standard butt pad. If my shoulder is square to the target my nose almost touches the charging handle. I can see in some shooting position it might be a tad too short but it's designed for carbines which will be used by soldiers on the move and with body armor or heavy clothing. If the LOP is too short for you they have a thicker butt pad which will add 1" to the LOP.

545AR_01.jpg

545AR_04.jpg

545AR_02.jpg

Nice setup!!! Thanks for the pics. This is the 1st time I've seen the Sully w/ QD holes in it. I know Knights Reed makes a 1" spacer between the receiver and stock that has a QD in it. This might work well w/ it.

Does the Sully have a trapdoor or some kind of built in storage?

They no longer make it with sling attachments standard. You can opt for them as options. I went for the QD holes and I think it gives me more options. It doesn't have trapdoor for storage. I have a picture of this rifle next to a standard AR15 NM with A2 stock for comparison. I'll post it up later tonight.

Nice setup!!! Thanks for the pics. This is the 1st time I've seen the Sully w/ QD holes in it. I know Knights Reed makes a 1" spacer between the receiver and stock that has a QD in it. This might work well w/ it.

Does the Sully have a trapdoor or some kind of built in storage?