devils4ever

going to Outer Banks, NC

Please post anything you find interesting because I'm headed down to Nags Head soon. I'm looking to buy in the mainland coast so any experience you share is welcomed.

Frank

Are you moving permanently?

The 5 year plan is 2 modest homes. One in NC near the coast and one in OR at the base of the Cascades.

I've just returned from NC. I found it not that different than NJ in many regards. I guess the Outer Banks has many transplants from other areas of the country. I could usually tell the locals from the visitors based on dress, mannerisms, and of course, speech. I didn't see anything gun related there. No shops. No museums. I did see some "No Guns Allowed" in some places. I was hoping to see a little more pro-gun attitude from the south, but I was disappointed. :(

I've just returned from NC. I found it not that different than NJ in many regards. I guess the Outer Banks has many transplants from other areas of the country. I could usually tell the locals from the visitors based on dress, mannerisms, and of course, speech. I didn't see anything gun related there. No shops. No museums. I did see some "No Guns Allowed" in some places. I was hoping to see a little more pro-gun attitude from the south, but I was disappointed. :(

Where in the outer banks did you go? What town were you in? I go to Atlantic Beach area almost every year.

That said, I'm not sure what you were expecting? Were you expecting the NY liberal stereotype of the south? Did you think everyone was going to have a double barreled shotgun and overalls or something? Of course some shops have a gun buster sign on the door, that's someone's private property and if they don't want guns in there, that's their decision. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

NC is *NOTHING* like NJ. They have shall-issue CCW, no retarded weapons bans, and are allowed NFA toys. The only crap law NC has is their pistol permit system, which is a Jim Crow law throwback to the Klan days. You have to walk into your county sheriff's office and pick it up, same day, for like $5. It's only a NICS check and no NJ bullshit where you get denied for seeing a marriage counselor or slamming doors too hard. Like I said, just a bad throwback to the bad old days where people of color would be told "the sheriff's not here today" or "we're busy, come back tomorrow"

If you're in the Atlantic Beach area of the Outer Banks, B&R guns rents guns (mainly military style semi autos) and has a nice rifle range and events, they also deal suppressors so you can browse around and check out their wares. Flatwoods Outfitters also has a Trap/Skeet area, 200yd rifle range, handgun range, and a very nice gun shop on premises with an especially nice selection of lever action rifles.

As for museums, there is also Beaufort, just outside Atlantic Beach, Fort Macon is a gigantic fort nearly intact from the War Between the States, you can walk through almost all of it and check out the cannons, soldier's quarters, kitchens, they also have a small arms section showing armaments from the civil war through WW2. Very nice place to check out.

Sorry your area was lame?

where in OBX were you? We usually go there with a large family group and do the big house thing for the last couple years. As there's lots of Yankees that come there from Corolla on south to Hatteras/Ocracoke is all touristy. Morehead city area nearer to Wilmington is more "Real" NC, as FFDP says, buts is a few more hours driving from NJ. The Dare County range is on the mainland part of the county and the Outer Banks Gun club runs it, but they do not rent guns. there were a few places that sold guns and ammo on the island (Hatteras), in addition to t-shirts, fishing stuff, etc. More mom and pop type places, from what I saw.