fermbizz

Which gun would you prefer? Beretta 92fs or Glock 17

Beretta because its a classic piece, made of metal, full framed, and dead sexy. Not the glock because its an ugly, boring, plastic, hunk of junk that unfortunately shoots really well so people buy tons of them :lol:

I am biased towards Taurus PT92/99 series due to the frame mounted safety and cheaper price, unless you are luck enough like some people here to have a Beretta with the frame mounted safety. :shifty:

ahh yes... :D

867250946_zxvFV-XL.jpg

Apples and Oranges as far as trigger goes unless you get the 92 DAO.

Both have a supreme reputation for reliability. The Glock is an ugly utilitarian tool. The Beretta has classic lines. If I had to pull one out of the muck and use it, I would want the Glock.

By the way, check out the Glock 34. It has the same frame as the G17, but a longer slide. I have one (I also have a Beretta, one of the frame mounted safety models Sirsloop mentioned) and it is a joy to shoot. The longer slide gives a nicer sight radius than the G17 and G19, and the cutout in the top of the slide lightens it so it doesn't become nose heavy.

http://teamglock.com/Glock-Buyers-Guide/Glock-34.htm

I'm not gonna force you to choose a different gun other than the two you mentioned. I own a 92F and Glock 19 and love them both. Either are excellent guns for whatever your needs are.

A few things to remember is that a Glock 17 mag capacity is only 10 rounds while the 92 is 15 rounds. Also, the Beretta is SA/DA while the Glock is striker fired. Two different triggers with different pulls. Also, the Beretta has a decocker/safety and the Glock doesn't.

Shoot them both and decide for yourself.

I love my G19, however the one point that always makes me nervous is the fact that there is no real safety other than keeping your finger off the trigger. When out of state and I CC, I usually don't chamber a round...until it becomes an emergency that is.

What? Really? Why?

I've owned both. I still have the Glock.

The Beretta is nice, but I don't like the DA/SA trigger or the fact that I can't carry it cocked and locked. I either want something cocked and locked (1911 or USP) so it's always a single action trigger or something striker fired that's consistent every time.

I also like the larger magazine capacity for the Glock. (I have a Glock 26 as well that, ironically, I traded the Beretta in for)

I do have to agree, the Beretta was prettier though :-)

That's one very good reason to get a Taurus over a Beretta. Frame mounted safety = condition 1 carry. The fact that a Glock does not have a safety isn't a massive issue as long as your holster covers the trigger guard, adequately holds the piece in place, and you know how to draw and reholster correctly.

for looks, I'd go with the Beretta. For ease of use and maintenance, I recommend the Glock.

now go get a 1911 ;)

You are kidding right? A Beretta 92 has got to be about the easiest gun to disassemble and clean. I can literally field strip my Taurus in under 5 seconds. The Beretta slide release is even easier to work than a glocks... no pulling back nonsense then holding the little button.

for looks, I'd go with the Beretta. For ease of use and maintenance, I recommend the Glock.

now go get a 1911 ;)

You are kidding right? A Beretta 92 has got to be about the easiest gun to disassemble and clean. I can literally field strip my Taurus in under 5 seconds.

Good, next time you come the Bullet Hole you can show me.

now go get a 1911 ;)

You are kidding right? A Beretta 92 has got to be about the easiest gun to disassemble and clean. I can literally field strip my Taurus in under 5 seconds. The Beretta slide release is even easier to work than a glocks... no pulling back nonsense then holding the little button.

little buttons do not bother me :lol:

Seriously, I find glocks easier to strip and maintain. Parts are cheaper as well. You can pretty much do your own customizing without bringing your pistol to a smith. You want to reduce trigger weight to 2.5# or increase it to 12#... you won't need to skip a car payment just to do that as well.

I have owned both and sold both for different reasons.

Beretta: Excellent design good ergonomics. The design makes stove pipes and double feeds almost impossible - almost. I never had any mechanical problems with the gun and enjoyed shooting it. I got rid of it because I couldn't shoot it accurately. Friends could shoot it accurately, but for reasons unknown to me I couldn't shoot accurately.

Glock: another good gun that never had mechanical issues. It is a good combat gun but I didn't like the ergonomics. I have big hands and the minimal beavertail caused the slide to rub my hand, after 30 rounds it began to hurt. No unjacketed lead bullets in Glocks and even though I rarely buy lead bullets, the restriction bothered me (silly I know).

I know there are beavertail extensions that can be added but they are costly and the gun wasn't worth it to me, I didn't like the gun enough to invest the money.

Ferrari ..... Porsche .... you decide.

Both are great, one is better looking, the other is more reliable in extreme conditions.

I do agree with one thing in this whole thread. The Taurus version is the prefered flavor IMHO. Cheaper, better safety, same design, not as elegant of finish in earlier models. Also now Taurus models are but ugly with trimmings. Still prefer to the Beretta. But if the costs were within $50 I would get the Beretta, but you can find used Taurus PT92 for $300 sometimes. That is a steal of a deal.

I have the same dilema. Waiting on my permit and I am going to buy either the G17 or the Beretta. Someone mentioned it about the Glock. You cant shoot unjacketed lead bullets thru it. That might not bother some people but I live about 20 minutes from Sure Shot and they wont allow anything BUT unjacketed lead bullets.

uhhh... says who? I've shot tons of fmj there

From their own wesite's Faq.. there ya go buckaroo

Question: Can I buy ammunition or do I need to bring some?

Answer: Shore Shot Pistol Range stocks almost every caliber of ammunition that we allow on the range. To buy ammuntion in New Jersey you must have a valid State or Government Issued Photo ID or a New Jersey Firearms ID Card. ALL ammunition sales are documented and reported to the New Jersey State Police Firearms Division upon request. If you are going to bring ammunition, we have a few requests. DO NOT bring, WOLF, CCI BLAZER (Aluminum Cased), STEEL JACKETED, TRACER, CORROSIVE PRIMED, or FRANGIBLE ammuntion. We will not let you on to the range. We only allow ammunition that we know is safe and will not cause our equipment or guests harm

Answer: Shore Shot Pistol Range stocks almost every caliber of ammunition that we allow on the range. To buy ammuntion in New Jersey you must have a valid State or Government Issued Photo ID or a New Jersey Firearms ID Card. ALL ammunition sales are documented and reported to the New Jersey State Police Firearms Division upon request. If you are going to bring ammunition, we have a few requests. DO NOT bring, WOLF, CCI BLAZER (Aluminum Cased), STEEL JACKETED, TRACER, CORROSIVE PRIMED, or FRANGIBLE ammuntion. We will not let you on to the range. We only allow ammunition that we know is safe and will not cause our equipment or guests harm

FMJ is not steel jacketed but copper so FMJ is allowed :facepalm:

FMJ is not steel jacketed but copper so FMJ is allowed :facepalm:

Hmm, I stand corrected. Well then it makes my decision harder yet again!

go with the beretta i love it and its very accurate hey our friggin military chose it i mean come on it feels like a real gun that nice cold hard steel in your hand :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

I have both: an Inox made in Italy, and a G19. It depends on what you want the gun for.

HD, range gun, talking piece, get the 92FS. Safeties and military standard issue.

HD tactical course gun, go with the Glock. You wont feel bad when you roll around in gravel with it or it gets all wet/muddy. Also its easier to not have to worry about any external safeties or decockers, etc when doing transitions etc from rifle to pistol.

I wouldnt go with a G17 you will be limited to 10 rounds in NJ. if you want a glock get a 19.

Either the 92 or glock you wont go wrong.