s8n

Tula .223

It's pretty much a crap shoot. Some guns will eat it all day, others will choke after the first 5 rounds. I know of at least one Stag that had problems with Wolf/Tula (RayRay's), a Bushmaster (Tinyboy's) and surprisingly, at least one BCM (BBK's) that had problems with a stuck case. My ARs (a DD and a BCM) seem to like it just fine.

It's pretty much a crap shoot. Some guns will eat it all day, others will choke after the first 5 rounds. I know of at least one Stag that had problems with Wolf/Tula (RayRay's), a Bushmaster (Tinyboy's) and surprisingly, at least one BCM (BBK's) that had problems with a stuck case. My ARs (a DD and a BCM) seem to like it just fine.

I ran about 60 rounds of it threw my AR a few months ago (and blew up a rabbit with it too!) and didn't have any issues. It was my pops ammo so I didn't buy it. I wouldn't recommend it but to each his own.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of steel cased Wolf/Silver Bear/Tula etc ammo through my Colt 6400 and never had one single issue. I can not say the same about their handgun cartridges though. They are a bit less reliable.

With all my handguns, no problems in feeding and ejection in locked breech pistols but occasional light strike. Granted some of the ammo are pretty old, got them more than 10 years ago. In my Keltec Sub2000 they are a bit too weak to reliably cycle compared to premium brands.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of steel cased Wolf/Silver Bear/Tula etc ammo through my Colt 6400 and never had one single issue. I can not say the same about their handgun cartridges though. They are a bit less reliable.

Totally opposite for me. I've shot a ton of wolf 9mm in my Px4 (and Cx4) and 45acp in my XD45 tactical without any issues at all.

Yep, what Caine said. I wasn't using Tula, but Wolf (tomato-'tomahto'). I'm pretty much 100% sure as I cycled through with my other magazines with no issues (not a magazine or extractor issue). I learned my lesson, and I'll spend that extra (fraction of an extra) for brass.

I have shot loads (3000+) of Wolf and Tula through my AR' and Mini-14 without any issues. It is cheaper than I can reload .223.

I've had nothing but success with Wolf and Tula in my Mini-14 as well. Actually the only time I had an issue with ammo in my Mini-14 was with Fiocchi ammunition! Must have been a bad batch or something. Go figure.

my issue with the steel cased stuff is stemming to the fact that it doesnt seal as well as brass, and in turn, not enough oomph to cycle the bolt completely.

I've heard that argument before, and it may very well be true... but, again, my ARs seem to love the steal cased ammo. Just put a little less than 500 rounds thru them at the MDTS carbine class this past weekend, and knock on wood, not a single hiccup.

At the last Cherry Ridge meetup, a member here was shooting Brown Bear ammo. He said it was brass coated, but it was still a steel case. We had a few hicups and it didn't like his 15 round PMags. He also said it was the first time he had any issue with his AR.

I know Brown Bear isn't Tula, but it's still steel cased junk!

Like I've said before:

By Brass

By Bulk

By American

After doing some more reading, as DirtyDigz pointed out, Tula doesn't have that lacquer coating that Wolf is notorious for that can cause casings to stick in the chamber. All studies I've read point to this being the issue with Wolf, and it gives me confidence that Tula wouldn't necessarily have the same issue. It would seem there is still the issue with steel casing not expanding (like brass), but that's up for debate for being catastrophic like the Wolf-sticky issue. I'll have to get my hands on some Tula to give it a try sometime.

Not all Wolf is lacquer coated. I had some Wolf Military Classic that was polymer coated like all the latest Tula ammo. I've never actually shot any lacquer coated steel cased ammo. It's all been polymer coated. But yes, a lot of the reputation of stuck cases and what not did come from the lacquer gunking up chambers.

ETA: There is one thing I don't like about steel cased ammo - tula specifically. It's dirty as sh*t to handle. I don't mean shooting it out of the gun.. just loading mags. After loading like 15 mags, my hands were practically black.