Don't Tread On Me

Shark week and CCW

So I've been watching shark week on Discovery, as I'm sure many of you are. I am surprised by the number of shark attacks that happen in knee to waist deep water.

They usually go something like this: Some guy is surf fishing, shark comes along takes a hold of his leg and goes to town ripping off chunks of flesh. The fisherman's only defense is punching the shark and poking his eyes, which usually mean getting your hand eaten also. Long story short the guy ends up living the rest of his life with one leg and half a hand.

Alternate version: Some guy is surf fishing, shark comes along, fisherman pulls 1911 from holster and pumps the shark full of .45s. Man continues fishing, living with both legs, and can still go on to be a hand model if he so chooses to do. Plus now he has shark for dinner.

Moral of the story: only surf fish where you can carry.

So I've been watching shark week on Discovery, as I'm sure many of you are. I am surprised by the number of shark attacks that happen in knee to waist deep water.

They usually go something like this: Some guy is surf fishing, shark comes along takes a hold of his leg and goes to town ripping off chunks of flesh. The fisherman's only defense is punching the shark and poking his eyes, which usually mean getting your hand eaten also. Long story short the guy ends up living the rest of his life with one leg and half a hand.

Alternate version: Some guy is surf fishing, shark comes along, fisherman pulls 1911 from holster and pumps the shark full of .45s. Man continues fishing, living with both legs, and can still go on to be a hand model if he so chooses to do. Plus now he has shark for dinner.

Moral of the story: only surf fish where you can carry.

And watch that 1911 rust within your 1st 5 trips.

This reminds me of a relatively recent news story in TX where two guys were hunting frogs and were attacked by wild pigs. Moral of the story: Take a 10mm when frog hunting LOL

10mm makes frogs go boom.

This reminds me of a relatively recent news story in TX where two guys were hunting frogs and were attacked by wild pigs. Moral of the story: Take a 10mm when frog hunting LOL

Thats exactly how eating frogs legs came about..

Mythbusters tested it - Slower moving bullets (9mm in particular) penetrate water fine.

Yes but only for a few feet. If the shark isn't at or just a foot or so under the water the effectiveness of the projectile falls off rapidly.

Mythbusters tested it - Slower moving bullets (9mm in particular) penetrate water fine.

Yes but only for a few feet. If the shark isn't at or just a foot or so under the water the effectiveness of the projectile falls off rapidly.

Well 9mm FMJ went 7 feet straight down and was able to penetrate a ballistic gel block fully, which was judged as fatal. At 8' it penetrated 1/2 way, which was judged non-fatal... but still, 7-8 feet is better than the say, 3 feet with a bangstick.