LorenzoS

No more NJ inspections for motorcycles

Hell might have frozen over. NJ actually removed one bureaucratic hassle from residents by eliminating state inspections for motorcycles.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/ ... Exempt.htm

Changes effective August 1, 2010 ...

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):

* Motorcycles

This is great news. Now you can actually get nice lights and blinkers and not have to worry about failling inspection due to the lask of a DOT sticker on them. My friend that owns a motorcyle shop in central Jersey said they are going to call it "Self Inspection." I'm not really sure what that means but I'm assume most LEO's won't give you a hard time now for your lights.

Well I definitely wouldn't try mounting my plate sideways without planning on a ticket. I'm glad I don't have to sit in a sweaty line, though the motorcycle reg fee should be 10 bucks.

One thing I do wonder about is why I have to fill out a stupid piece of paper designed in 1972 when I renew a registration that I'm holding in my hand. They look at the one they issue when they can't read my writing anyway!

Just got the letter from DMV today about this , was such a waste of time anyway , the first time i took my harley for inspection they failed me , was there something mechanically wrong with my brand new bike , no , was there a defect with the tires or something with the bike , no , they failed me for UNAPPROVED EYEWARE !!!! I was like ummm unapproved eyeware ?? what does that have to do with the bike , he said they werent safety goggles !!! As if i didnt learn my lesson with that fiasco , my next harley was a Springer softail , the guy runs through the test and then says push down on the forks , well anyone who knows a harley springer knows the forks are inverted , well he precedes to tell me there is something wrong with my forks !!!!! I was like WHAT ??? Finally i argued with the guy for a supervisor , who he actually owned a harley , came out and could see there was nothing wrong with the Brand New Bike !!!!!!!! My last few harleys all went back to the dealer who walked out and slapped a sticker on it in about 3 SECONDS !!!!!!!!!Thank you CC for finally doing something that should have been done a long time ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt get any of these letters and I renewed my reg in june??? Hmmmm...

I agree with Tony, no more inspections means more twp. safety checks = more municiple dollars. This will be more wide spread then just motorcycles fellas....safety checks performed by LEO for cars/trucks/motorcycles are gunna generate TONS of money for the twps. Be prepared to be sitting in some lines on the roadways soon. Everyones gunna wish they kept the old inspection testing in the long wrong.

-Scott

Funny thing is i just renewed my registration and put the the new sticker on , now i gotta go out and peel them off , i think i"ll wait a bit just to make sure LE knows the deal !!!!!!!!!

Went to the NJ DMV site, looks like we can peel both stickers.

Motorcycle self-inspection

Effective August 1, 2010, motorcycles are no longer required to submit for an inspection in New Jersey and display registration decals. Registration decals will no longer be issued. Decals may be removed from license plates.

Riders should keep in mind that it is their responsibility to make sure their motorcycles are free from mechanical defects and are operating properly. Law enforcement may still cite a cyclist for equipment out of compliance or failure to make repairs.

Motorcycle owner checklist and protective equipment:

* License plate and current registration

* Valid insurance card

* Valid motorcycle driver license

* USDOT approved non-reflective helmet with four inches of reflective tape on each side

* Approved goggles or face shield if motorcycle is not equipped with an approved wind screen

Motorcycles should be examined to ensure that every component is working in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and is not bent, loose, damaged, broken, defective or out of alignment. These components include:

* Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment

* Handlebar grips that are not higher than your shoulders when you are seated on the motorcycle in normal driving position

* Horn

* Red rear light and reflector

* Stop light

* Head light

* Rear view mirror

* Exhaust system

* Tires

* Seat, hand holds, and foot rests

* Adequate brakes (all motorcycles made after 1974 require brakes on front and rear wheels)

Just got the letter from DMV today about this , was such a waste of time anyway , the first time i took my harley for inspection they failed me , was there something mechanically wrong with my brand new bike , no , was there a defect with the tires or something with the bike , no , they failed me for UNAPPROVED EYEWARE !!!! I was like ummm unapproved eyeware ?? what does that have to do with the bike , he said they werent safety goggles !!! As if i didnt learn my lesson with that fiasco , my next harley was a Springer softail , the guy runs through the test and then says push down on the forks , well anyone who knows a harley springer knows the forks are inverted , well he precedes to tell me there is something wrong with my forks !!!!! I was like WHAT ??? Finally i argued with the guy for a supervisor , who he actually owned a harley , came out and could see there was nothing wrong with the Brand New Bike !!!!!!!! My last few harleys all went back to the dealer who walked out and slapped a sticker on it in about 3 SECONDS !!!!!!!!!Thank you CC for finally doing something that should have been done a long time ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once they failed me for not having a reflective/flourescent sticker in the back of my helmet.

I think you need to re read the letter. It says peel off the old inspection sticker. Doesn't say anything about the registration sticker....Other wise, the cops will think you are not registered for the current year.

Motorcycle self-inspection

Effective August 1, 2010, motorcycles are no longer required to submit for an inspection in New Jersey and display registration decals. Registration decals will no longer be issued. Decals may be removed from license plates.

I reared it and thats what it says. Copied and pasted from the NJ DMV website.

They also did away with putting registration stickers on automobile license plates.

You can leave your stickers on if you want, but I already peeled mine off. I hated those stickers anyway