CageFighter

how many lawyer'd up??

I am going to hand in my application next Tues bc the detectives were not in Thurs. My town only allows appl on Tues or Thursdays. Went this week and nobody there to help. After reading posts on here and others, I decided to lawyer up for the review process. Any thoughts? Who took the pro-active approach to make sure everything goes smoothly?

I am going to hand in my application next Tues bc the detectives were not in Thurs. My town only allows appl on Tues or Thursdays. Went this week and nobody there to help. After reading posts on here and others, I decided to lawyer up for the review process. Any thoughts? Who took the pro-active approach to make sure everything goes smoothly?

Mr Bond-- What are you applying for? A license to kill?

I dont feel that I "needed" one, just playing it safe. Worst case scenerio, I get my ID & permits and the attorney was just "babysitting" as a security blanket. I think my legal fee will be tiny compared to what I plan to spend on new toyz. Hopefully, I can see 5-figure inventory in the future!!

:dance::dance::dance:

Whats the lawyer going to do for you ?? Heck he should not take a dime for helping to fill out an application. Unless you have something to worry about ??

Most lawyers I have met were only as good as there secretaries. Very, very lazy untill time to ask for payment. :D

If you are thinking of getting a lawyer at this early stage of the process, I suggest you fold into a bag and crumple...

I applied for my FID and the initial permits through an attorney, and I don't regret it in the slightest. I was issued the FID and permits in under 10 days. Granted, the time it takes depends on your town, but I was not prepared to wait for months and being continually told off, as was some people's experience.

I applied for my FID and the initial permits through an attorney, and I don't regret it in the slightest. I was issued the FID and permits in under 10 days. Granted, the time it takes depends on your town, but I was not prepared to wait for months and being continually told off, as was some people's experience.

agreed.

Unless you have something to worry about, no need to pay an attorney to hand in the permits for you.... save that money and take a safety course.

If you have a record, or had mental issues... then perhaps it would be wise to get one.

My whole thing is... why escalate yourself and be known as "the guy" who lawyered up.

Applying for an FID is not uncommon... dont do anything to make yourself stand out.

yee dude. no need for an attorney. the firearms detective in my town was avoiding me for like 3 months. i was just keep calling and letting him know i wont stop 8). those guys just dont wanna to do the whole paper work thing. trust me in our wonderful state you dont wanna piss off your local PD. cause you know how they are and how they can get 8) just keep trying and you will see it will go through. it is much easier than they make it look 8) good luck!!!

i have a family member w/ same name (just different middle name) who has had his run ins w/ the law. same town, same prior address, etc. i dont want any confusions or mix ups, there is approx 20yr age differ. i am sure it wont happen, but mistakes occur. i just wanna be cautious. maybe im going overboard (i agree), but it gives me piece of mind.

You don't "need" a lawyer but people often say things like "you don't need a semi automatic rifle" or you don't need a mag that holds more than 10 rounds".

If you get the permit in 10 days like the other poster I say go for it. Its well worth the 200 dollars or whatever it will end up costing you for the lawyer. I was waiting 3 months.

BTW what do you plan to have the lawyer do? Walk into the station with you or make a call on your behalf?

BTW what do you plan to have the lawyer do? Walk into the station with you or make a call on your behalf?

I am handing in my paperwork this week, nobody there last week. He will just be the middleman btwn me & the pd, etc. If an issue arises, he can deal w/ it. Unfort, I work 6days a week, 55+ hrs. At work, I have no access to emails, lots of blocked internet sites & its tough to get personal calls, etc. Plus, I dont want to wait over 30 days, -lol.

Unless you have something to worry about, no need to pay an attorney to hand in the permits for you.... save that money and take a safety course.

If you have a record, or had mental issues... then perhaps it would be wise to get one.

My whole thing is... why escalate yourself and be known as "the guy" who lawyered up.

Applying for an FID is not uncommon... dont do anything to make yourself stand out.

I can tell you with some certainty that your concern is unfounded and misdirected. As soon as the people at the PD see a legal letterhead, they cease to obstruct the application process (whether deliberately or by virtue of incompetence and/or laziness). You are not put on the department's shitlist, you simply get VIP-like treatment, because you're more trouble to mess with than it's worth.

With that said, police departments differ greatly when it comes to processing FID applications. My standing recommendation is to apply yourself, wait 30 days and then take action if problems are encountered.

+1, unless you are not telling us something about you.