Beyond your local ordinances, your neighbors may have an opinion.

I know that if I lived on 5 acre parcels and my neighbor started his own private "range" in his back yard, we'd be havin' a talk.

I mean, if they're square lots, houses are MAX around 900 feet apart on the straight, and maybe 1300 feet on the diagonal. If any significant part of that land is cleared, then that's not enough distance for safety and some type of backstop is needed.

Well I found the ordinance online here it is.

No person shall, for the purpose of hunting, taking or killing any fowl or animal, discharge a firearm, gun, rifle or bow and arrow, or any devices likely to cause injuries to human beings, within 450 feet of any occupied dwelling or within 450 feet of any school playground in the Township.

This is for Egg Harbor Township.

Well I found the ordinance online here it is.

No person shall, for the purpose of hunting, taking or killing any fowl or animal, discharge a firearm, gun, rifle or bow and arrow, or any devices likely to cause injuries to human beings, within 450 feet of any occupied dwelling or within 450 feet of any school playground in the Township.

This is for Egg Harbor Township.

That looks like the state laws on hunting more so than a local gun ordinance.

• Like 1

EHT will NOT allow this.. they will likely come and give you shit.. go over to the atlantic county range.. it is right in your town betsy scull road it is cheap... safe.. and the staff are a bunch of really good guys... can't really go wrong..

you have to take the safety class before you can shoot.. but again.. pretty cheap..

http://www.aclink.org/publicsafety/FTF/

might head over there to day..

My uncle shoots in his backyard in eht all the time and has never had a problem . He does have more land than me but this is why I was wondering . I live on somers point mays landing rd litterally right across the street from the Atlantic county range but 30 dollars for a membership then a safety class and still 10 dollars an hour? Seems kind of expensive and it's only open to civillains on the weekends untill 4.

I am looking more into south jersey shooting club. I like the idea that I could go any day I wanted. Anyone belong to the south jersey shooting club?

My uncle shoots in his backyard in eht all the time and has never had a problem . He does have more land than me but this is why I was wondering . I live on somers point mays landing rd litterally right across the street from the Atlantic county range but 30 dollars for a membership then a safety class and still 10 dollars an hour? Seems kind of expensive and it's only open to civillains on the weekends untill 4.

I am looking more into south jersey shooting club. I like the idea that I could go any day I wanted. Anyone belong to the south jersey shooting club?

they are very loose on the hourly rate being an hourly rate.. the safety class is a 1 hour gig... tell you what.. if they have another bring a friend day you pay for the safety class but get a free membership.. so it would be like half price.. I was pretty familiar with firearms, but the classes are enjoyable as the staff is great.. there is a lot of free open discussion about firearms.. I actually have taken the classes several times due to bringing friends down.. and I have learned a lot I did not previously know.. and they actually helped with my pistol form.. I shoot better after going there.. and they offer members a holster class for like 5 bucks in which we did a lot of fun drills and exercises.. it was fun.. so yeah if you are interested let me know and if a class comes up I will bring you..

while you MIGHT shoot a thousand times and NEVER have an issue on private land out that way... make ONE mistake or have the police come ONE time.. and knowing EHT I think you would be screwed.. I also think the response COULD be over the top.. drawn guns and such... I know at least one EHT cop who would respond with a firearm drawn.. that is just a situation I would try to avoid.. especially considering the range is not all that expensive..

My uncle shoots in his backyard in eht all the time and has never had a problem

Do you really want to take your chances though? I have a feeling they can (and may) take your gun and let the courts settle the issue of the legality of your action.

My inlaws own 7 acres in Mullica Hill and I shoot there. The neighbors have never called the police. Probably because half of them are farmers and I hear them shooting also from time to time, actually even the ones that are'nt farmers shoot now that I think about it. The majorty of the neighbors own atleast 5-10 acres. The only time I'm asked to stop is when my MIL has heard enough. :o :mrgreen:

they are very loose on the hourly rate being an hourly rate.. the safety class is a 1 hour gig... tell you what.. if they have another bring a friend day you pay for the safety class but get a free membership.. so it would be like half price.. I was pretty familiar with firearms, but the classes are enjoyable as the staff is great.. there is a lot of free open discussion about firearms.. I actually have taken the classes several times due to bringing friends down.. and I have learned a lot I did not previously know.. and they actually helped with my pistol form.. I shoot better after going there.. and they offer members a holster class for like 5 bucks in which we did a lot of fun drills and exercises.. it was fun.. so yeah if you are interested let me know and if a class comes up I will bring you..

while you MIGHT shoot a thousand times and NEVER have an issue on private land out that way... make ONE mistake or have the police come ONE time.. and knowing EHT I think you would be screwed.. I also think the response COULD be over the top.. drawn guns and such... I know at least one EHT cop who would respond with a firearm drawn.. that is just a situation I would try to avoid.. especially considering the range is not all that expensive..

Thank you for the invite it is appreciated, but I am currently waiting on my firearms id and permits so It might be a while.

Your probbably right about ehtpd or any other leo's in nj coming to my home while Im target shooting with there guns drawn and screaming at me to get on my face lol.

What is your take on calling the pd and having an officer swing by to check the conditions?

Where else do you shoot at?

Thank you for the invite it is appreciated, but I am currently waiting on my firearms id and permits so It might be a while.

Your probbably right about ehtpd or any other leo's in nj coming to my home while Im target shooting with there guns drawn and screaming at me to get on my face lol.

What is your take on calling the pd and having an officer swing by to check the conditions?

Where else do you shoot at?

Here is how calling will go.. if they DID come out to "look at it" NO ONE will want that personally liability of telling you that it is OK to shoot on your property so they will likely site the ordinance that says you can't, because knowing EHT there is one..

the only other place I really shoot is on private property in Belplaine, we contacted the staties and they said it was fine as long as there was adequate backstop and we were safe.. they also stated that if anyone complained they would just come ask us to stop.. no problems..

I am telling you though man.. the range is a good spot once you get your stuff in order.. ;)

The only way you will truly know is asking your local PD.

For my town, there is a minimum yardage from any building/street/private/public land and a backstop is mandatory.

It also depends on what your shooting, neighbors, etc.

I have a neighbor in mind... I should ask my local PD if it's allowed... :icon_mrgreen:

Please do not call your local PD or municipality.  There was a poster here a couple of years ago who did that.  The town did not have a no-discharge ordinance...until he called them.  They realized someone might shoot on their own property and passed an ordinance at the next town meeting.

NJ has no such law.  If your town doesn't it's legal.   Depending on where you live, the local PD might assume there is such a law and give you a hard time.  Typical noise ordinances allow 90dB at the property line.  Make the inspector bring out his sound meter. Unless you're right at the line, you won't be over 90dB.

I shoot in my back yard all the time.  So do all my neighbors.

May this thread now rest in peace.

• Like 1