Someone will be along to give you the cite and point you in the right direction. This is, however, a moot point. Someone has already taken a PD to court for taking in excess of 30 days and the court found in the PD's favor. The 30 day clock does not start ticking until the PD has everything in-hand that they need to complete their investigation - so there are a myriad of excuses they can use and there's nothing we peons can do about it. The entire system needs to be overhauled.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Can anyone point me toward the law which states the a police department must either grant or deny an application for a Firearms Purchaser ID Card within 30 days of the application being submitted? I was unable to find this law in my search.

Thanks

NJ 2C:58-3 (Purchase of Firearms) Section f:

f. Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the

permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser

identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall

investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the

identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the

application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.

My recommendation is to call if it is taking longer than 30 days.

You may find that the clerk or the officer responsible will respond favorably and complete your permits quickly.

You may also find that they resist and tell you that it will take an unacceptable amount of time (two months, three months, six months, etc.).

They may also tell you one of the many common excuses:

He's on vacation.

The backup is on vacation.

We are waiting for your prints.

We are waiting for your references to return something.

We wait until we have more than 10 and then we do them all at the same time.

etc.

If you don't get the first response, you should talk to the Chief next. Be professional, acknowledge that they are busy and short handed and that you appreciate what they do, but also be firm in your insistence that your right to purchase and own firearms not be delayed.

In all likelihood, that will solve the problem.

If it does not, let us know.

I personally would start the clock after you are fingerprinted and you have verified your two references and/or your employer has filled out and return mailed the (useless) character reference sheets. Even then, on like day 31 I would simply call and politely ask. Try honey before you use vinegar... and like already mentioned vinegar probably wont work.

My pistol permit clock starts monday...as my references and employer have return mailed their forms.

My recommendation is to call if it is taking longer than 30 days.

You may find that the clerk or the officer responsible will respond favorably and complete your permits quickly.

You may also find that they resist and tell you that it will take an unacceptable amount of time (two months, three months, six months, etc.).

They may also tell you one of the many common exuses:

He's on vacation.

The backup is on vacation.

We are waiting for your prints.

We are waiting for your refrences to return something.

We wait until we have more than 10 and then we do them all at the same time.

etc.

If you don't get the first response, you should talk to the Chief next. Be professional, acknowledge that they are busy and short handed and that you appreciate what they do, but also be firm in your assistance that your right to purchase and own firearms not be delayed.

In all likelyhood, that will solve the problem.

If it does not, let us know.

And diplomatic relations will stop Iran from enriching uranium. :lol:

30 days from when they get everything back from the state police is what I was told

Someone will be along to give you the cite and point you in the right direction. This is, however, a moot point. Someone has already taken a PD to court for taking in excess of 30 days and the court found in the PD's favor. The 30 day clock does not start ticking until the PD has everything in-hand that they need to complete their investigation - so there are a myriad of excuses they can use and there's nothing we peons can do about it. The entire system needs to be overhauled.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sadly this is pretty much on point. :roll:

Wow, when I came back to check out this thread again I found four spelling errors in my last post! I guess I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Regardless, my experience has been that following those steps works. In theory, the next step is to go to the county prosecutor (a suggestion made to me by NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit), but so far, of the four or five that I know that took this approach, none have had a need to go past the Police Chief, because the problem was solved in short order.

That's not to say that there aren't a few rogue Police Chiefs out there, I just haven't run into them yet. And, that's not to say that the whole FID, PPP system shouldn't be scrapped. It's a colossal waste of time and resources.

Wow, when I came back to check out this thread again I found four spelling errors in my last post! I guess I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Regardless, my experience has been that following those steps works. In theory, the next step is to go to the county prosecutor (a suggestion made to me by NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit), but so far, of the four or five that I know that took this approach, none have had a need to go past the Police Chief, because the problem was solved in short order.

That's not to say that there aren't a few rogue Police Chiefs out there, I just haven't run into them yet. And, that's not to say that the whole FID, PPP system shouldn't be scrapped. It's a colossal waste of time and resources.

IMO the COunty Prosecutors, especially in North Jersey are, if anything MORE Anti-gun than the Chiefs.. YMMV

Well its been 8 weeks and still have not got my permits , the Sgt told me 60 days so i will give him till Wednesday, after that the calls begin ....

Just a suggestion which most agree on in this forum: You'll get more flies with honey than vinegar... or something like that. If you call up and start demanding your permits you run the risk of the department delaying them further. First check with your references to make sure they returned their forms. Than call, be polite, and ask if there is anything on your end you can do to expedite the process.

"Is all my paperwork in order?" and "Did you receive my references' letters?" works a lot better than "Look if I drop you off 2 dozen doughnuts and a Box O' Joe will you get off your lazy butt and process my application?" Unless I was the detective. Then make it a Starbucks large iced coffee with 3 Splenda and no milk. :whistle::lol:

True!

The jack-booted authorities in New Jersey seem to be able to have their way with us.

Applied for more PPs on May 4. Referals just received forms this week. In Berkeley. What a POS town!!!!! 31/2 months to send out forms.

Im giving my PD the benefit of the doubt because last year when i initially applied for my FID and PERMITS it only took 4 weeks so i was kind shocked when i went back in june for more permits and he said 60 days ,, im not really in a big hurry to get them but my bros just came in from another town and he wants to go shoppin so hopefully this week i"ll be getting the call .

Well I called up my PD last week and spoke to the same woman who gave me an attitude in person months ago.

I asked if there was any additional paperwork I might need to provide for my application. She said "Have you gotten a letter in the mail?" I said no, and she said "Well then it's not ready. We send them out when we get them."

It's now been around 50 days since fingerprinting.

Well I called up my PD last week and spoke to the same woman who gave me an attitude in person months ago.

I asked if there was any additional paperwork I might need to provide for my application. She said "Have you gotten a letter in the mail?" I said no, and she said "Well then it's not ready. We send them out when we get them."

Time to either talk to the police chief or call the NJSP firearms investigations unit.

Any news?

"within 30 days from the date of receipt of the

application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants"

After reading the above excerpt from the 30 day law where did the interpretation of 30 days after the local cop shop gets back all the investgative info come from? BTW, my two seperate apps were approved after 43 and 64 days.

"within 30 days from the date of receipt of the

application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants"

After reading the above excerpt from the 30 day law where did the interpretation of 30 days after the local cop shop gets back all the investgative info come from? BTW, my two seperate apps were approved after 43 and 64 days.

Not looking it up right now but there was a court case. Supposedly it set legal precedence. I don't see how though because they never rewrote the law. Secondly when I read the statute I don't see any wiggle room in the 30 days. There are no ifs ands or buts in there. However it did go to court and the people did not win the case. In my opinion if it's gonna be 30 days after the background check comes in then it should say so. Whose to say that they won't hold it up a month or two before they even decide to send your info out for a background check. The whole process is bullshit. When you buy form a FFL they put you thru NICS anyway. Whats the point of one background check if they are going to do another one at the point of purchase anyway?

I gave my PD a call last week to ask how it was going. The clerk in the Records Bureau said it was being handled by the Detective Bureau, so I called them next. That clerk told me the police chief has a stack of papers on his desk waiting to be sorted through, but she said she would look for my application and put it on top. I suspect this was a lie, but I thanked her and ended the call.

It was such a tease to go on a Cabela's trip today and not be able to buy anything, but I did get to handle the 10/22 I intend to purchase as my first firearm. Fortunately though, today's purchase earned me a $75 cash card which can be applied to my next purchase, so my rifle should be much cheaper. I held a lot of different guns. The highlight, though, was the FN Five-seveN. Can't wait to get my hands on that someday.

I gave my PD a call last week to ask how it was going. The clerk in the Records Bureau said it was being handled by the Detective Bureau, so I called them next. That clerk told me the police chief has a stack of papers on his desk waiting to be sorted through, but she said she would look for my application and put it on top. I suspect this was a lie, but I thanked her and ended the call.

It was such a tease to go on a Cabela's trip today and not be able to buy anything, but I did get to handle the 10/22 I intend to purchase as my first firearm. Fortunately though, today's purchase earned me a $75 cash card which can be applied to my next purchase, so my rifle should be much cheaper. I held a lot of different guns. The highlight, though, was the FN Five-seveN. Can't wait to get my hands on that someday.

Not sure you need an FID to purchase a long gun in PA and then bring home. Someone else can chime in and correct me. They do not ask you for your FID in PA, just id and run a PICs check.

The FID, although recommended, is not required to own and possess firearms in NJ, just to purchase firearms and handgun ammo.

Not sure you need an FID to purchase a long gun in PA and then bring home. Someone else can chime in and correct me. They do not ask you for your FID in PA, just id and run a PICs check.

The FID, although recommended, is not required to own and possess firearms in NJ, just to purchase firearms and handgun ammo.

Dealers are supposed to follow laws of their state and of the purchaser's state per Federal Law.

I received a call a couple days ago from the detective working on my app. He said it was approved and on itss way to the chief's office to be mailed. One of my references also told me that he received a call just prior and was asked some more questions about me.

Looks like the wait is just about over!